This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#938021 by vscss
04 Sep 2017, 06:32
More cut backs being trialled onboard:

Economy amenity kits removed from all flights.
Economy menus removed from all flights.
Mini bottles of water now on meal trays in Y/W & on request only in J.

Being sold to crew as 'enhancements'?!?
#938037 by tontybear
04 Sep 2017, 12:45
Can we stop blaming the 'bean counters' these are management decisions.

1. Seeing the number of kits that get left on flights it's probably a good move both financially and environmentally.

2. never seen the point of a paper menus in Y theyshould use the IFE to display the menu or the crew can make a few cabin specific announcements. Surely not handing them out would save the crew some work?

3. Again if on the meal tray or handed out during the drink service rather than leave on the seat this would save the crew work.
#938039 by SlimpyJones
04 Sep 2017, 12:53
SICKENING. Officially switching to BA.

Haha, just kidding. Agreed with Tonty's points. I can understand the rationale behind these. I barely make use of the J kits so can imagine how much gets left behind in Economy.
#938054 by JCBR
04 Sep 2017, 16:56
If they really want to save money they need to actually take a look at the kits - not just what is inside them but what they are packed in.
I do not want a fancy brand name toiletry bag every time I fly - how many can I use ?
Toothbrush, paste, socks, eye mask , ear plugs are all you really need. The pen is useful and a small pack of tissues would be even better. But this can all fit into a simple bag with a ribbon tie or something - not a fancy big name bag that can hold more toiletries than you can actually take on board in the first place.
#938059 by jayden
04 Sep 2017, 17:29
JCBR wrote:I do not want a fancy brand name toiletry bag every time I fly - how many can I use ?

Or how many can you collect? :-D

Even in J now, the number of amenity kits you see lying on the ottoman when disembarking seems to increase every time I fly. If anything they should be handed out like the sleep suits on boarding, those who do not want or have too many already can say no thank you.

On the useful pen topic, I do miss the old short chrome pen's!
#938072 by Edinburgh Castle
04 Sep 2017, 22:10
the fewer freebies given out will reduce the 'emotional attachment' between flyer and airline - that reduces the Virgin 'sparkle' and another differentiator is lost.

a shame but having travelled Sri Lankan airlines last week in economy, no amenity kit was handed out.

has anyone else noticed that hot towels have now gone too in UC?

not much left to cut back on now - sleep suits? chopsticks instead of cutlery, newspapers, alcohol and bar?
#938080 by Francis007
05 Sep 2017, 08:32
In reply to a couple of points made here.

On our last flight in UC we were given hot towels and I do agree about the little chrome pens.

They were lovely and I still have a couple at home and they are still going strong .

A good point I think on the amenity kits. If VS is looking for small ways to cut costs, just give them out to people who request them. As they do with the sleepsuits. My missus always has one overnight and I never do. Too much hassle in getting in and out of them ! The reason might be that she has remained slim and the same weight in 47 years of wedded bliss ......whereas I have unfortunately changed shape...a tiny bit ! :-(
#938147 by joeyc
07 Sep 2017, 01:27
vscss wrote:Mini bottles of water now on meal trays in Y/W & on request only in J.

I believe this came up a few weeks back and I still see the water bottles being handed out at the gate to those that ask.. that said they are right there on the jetway making conversation with pax so I cannot see why anyone would miss the water angels (new term.. lets see if it sticks :) )

Mini water bottles in J tend to be loaded behind the seats in the mini alcove and easily forgotten so on request I can almost understand. That said, the water bottle handout is an ideal opportunity for the FSM or CSS to get to know the cabin.

tontybear wrote:Can we stop blaming the 'bean counters' these are management decisions.

1. Seeing the number of kits that get left on flights it's probably a good move both financially and environmentally.

2. never seen the point of a paper menus in Y theyshould use the IFE to display the menu or the crew can make a few cabin specific announcements. Surely not handing them out would save the crew some work?

3. Again if on the meal tray or handed out during the drink service rather than leave on the seat this would save the crew work.

Not meaning to sound contradictory Tonty, but... always blame the beancounters..

1) The amenity kits in Y can be 'on demand' or the crew could load up compartments in communal spaces with amenities (toilets, galley areas etc)

2)Paper menus make sense otherwise the crew are reciting the same menu 300 times because people will not listen to/remember a single announcement and will invariably ask what's for dinner/lunch/breakfast. Refer them to the menu and then the crew can serve someone else whilst the other person decides etc.. I am sure that would save the crew time.

3)So the crew get potentially hundreds of requests for water sending them backwards and forwards through the flight.. one person sees water being delivered and they will likely subsequently ask etc.. Mini bottles in W and J on the seats and then Y at the gate/doors via trolley I think should work.

jayden wrote:Even in J now, the number of amenity kits you see lying on the ottoman when disembarking seems to increase every time I fly. If anything they should be handed out like the sleep suits on boarding, those who do not want or have too many already can say no thank you.

When they are clearing the cabin for takeoff, why not return it unopened? Personally I am like a magpie with such things and (I am loathe to admit it but) I have a crates of amenity kits, hotel and other traveller packs in one of my spare bedroom cupboards.

jayden wrote:On the useful pen topic, I do miss the old short chrome pen's!

As do I.. the ones with the fin or the turn and click ones?

Awesome topic VSCSS :cool:
#938151 by horburyflyer
07 Sep 2017, 03:28
I was on the VS073 last week in J. Mini water bottles were handed out after take off, that is a recent change as they usually handed out on the airbridge (well out of MAN) and before that the bottle was stored in the bottle holder in J. On recent flights from the U.S., the water bottle has been the bottle holder, like it always has been. I have my first return in September from the U.S. this weekend.

One hot towel run has been cut from J I'm told. The one after take off has been cut as a trial (to capture feedback) so now just a hot towel before landing now. Pretty sure this will be an area of great inconsistency!

Lovehearts were back last week in J. I haven't seen them in J for months! Speaking with the CC last week, since water bottles were added to the meal trays in Y, in the first drinks run the majority of pax were now asking for a water along with their first drink and I heard the removal of menus in Y was for September only to measure the customer impact....

Jon
Last edited by horburyflyer on 07 Sep 2017, 05:21, edited 2 times in total.
#938152 by Kraken
07 Sep 2017, 04:31
horburyflyer wrote:I was on the VS073 last week in J. Mini water bottles wee handed out after take off, that is a recent change as they usually handed out on the airbridge (well out of MAN) and before they the bottle was stored in the bottle holder in J. On recent flights from the U.S., the water bottle has been the bottle holder, like it always has been. I have my first return in September from the U.S. this weekend.

One hot towel run has been cut from J I'm told. The one after take off has been cut as a trial (to capture feedback) so now just a hot towel before landing now. Pretty sure this will be an area of great inconsistency!

Lovehearts were back last week in J. I haven't seen them in J for months! Speaking with the CC last week, since water bottles were added to the meal trays in Y, in the first drinks run the majority of pax were now asking for a water along with their first drink and I heard the removal of menus in Y was for September only to measure the customer impact....

Jon

On last Sundays' VS75 no water was handed out on the jet-bridge like I have seen done at MAN in the past. The CSS gave about half of the UC cabin a mini bottle of water (250ml at most as a guess) & then forgot about the other half of the cabin. I was one of the missed off passengers and asked for a bottle with the first drinks order.

Hot towels - they were offered both after takeoff and before landing. They were the bloody awful lavender-infused variety though, which is a good way to reduce demand for them & then claim that J passengers are not bothered about them and remove them completely.

Love hearts before landing - nope.
#938153 by horburyflyer
07 Sep 2017, 05:23
Kraken wrote:
horburyflyer wrote:I was on the VS073 last week in J. Mini water bottles wee handed out after take off, that is a recent change as they usually handed out on the airbridge (well out of MAN) and before they the bottle was stored in the bottle holder in J. On recent flights from the U.S., the water bottle has been the bottle holder, like it always has been. I have my first return in September from the U.S. this weekend.

Jon

On last Sundays' VS75 no water was handed out on the jet-bridge like I have seen done at MAN in the past. The CSS gave about half of the UC cabin a mini bottle of water (250ml at most as a guess) & then forgot about the other half of the cabin. I was one of the missed off passengers and asked for a bottle with the first drinks order.

Hot towels - they were offered both after takeoff and before landing. They were the bloody awful lavender-infused variety though, which is a good way to reduce demand for them & then claim that J passengers are not bothered about them and remove them completely.

Love hearts before landing - nope.

Crikey. The difference 24hrs makes on the same route!
#938170 by DoomWolf
07 Sep 2017, 13:07
As I said in another thread, on our DL flight from SLC in Delta One we had a 500ml water bottle on the seat and got given another 2 during the flight. We also had hot towels (unscented) at the beginning and end of the flight. They were also very generous with the drinks service and the meal portions and I felt the food quality was a touch higher than UC.
#938264 by horburyflyer
09 Sep 2017, 21:07
So was on the VS74 last night. Two hot towel runs (one post take off and one before landing) bottle of water in the bottle holder (that is how it has always been on US departing flights) and despite working to minimum crewing levels, a fantastic hard working CC team.

The FSM was working in PE but came to introduce himself to everyone and explain why we wouldn't see him in the UC cabin very much, though he was in UC helping with the breakfast service.

The two CC working in UC were fantastic and provided really great service. The September menu was in operation with a really nice curry too and a delicious flourless chocolate cake.

Jon
#938282 by CommanderB
10 Sep 2017, 14:58
I flew VS401, 2 days ago (Friday) and in UC the bottle of water was in the little holder on the shelf behind the seat. Flying on a refurbed A330 (G-VGEM).

I flew VS1 yesterday, on G-VNYC - Uptown Girl. No water bottles offered to PE until the meal service. No amenity kits in PE and didn't bother asking because the FSM as she was a tad hostile and I was in no mood to be getting into it over something I wasn't too fussed about anyway.
#938303 by Edinburgh Castle
11 Sep 2017, 09:48
VS401 to Hong Kong last Tuesday evening J class
No water on air bridge or in bottle pocket; had to ask and 2 mini bottles provided
I asked about hot towels and told there was one shortly before arrival

VS301 from Delhi last month; J class
water in bottle pocket but no hot towels

love the quirkiness of Virgin when for a small airline it should be so easy to have consistency!!
#938353 by roadrunner
12 Sep 2017, 23:40
Here's what I would like in an amenity bag: tissues, pen, earplugs, eye mask...and Polos! Last time I flew PE with a screaming baby behind me entire flight, flight staff refused to let me have earplugs... and believe me, I begged. I'd rather have earplugs than landing sweets!
#938447 by rcslt
15 Sep 2017, 13:43
VS 15 yesterday, NO hot towels in UC, bottled water handed out mid flight, many disappointed with not getting their first choice of starters. Why so many inconsistencies for a small airline?
#938494 by Lucydog
18 Sep 2017, 12:08
I know you will think me sad, but we don't bother with the amenity bags, so don't care what is in them. Also I am happy to ask for water as and when I want one. On my recent 85 to Vegas they gave you a choice when serving, no menus, and the same on our 127 flight. I also like a comfy seat choice, that's makes me happy. Cost and comfort no frills will do nicely. :-)
#938496 by CommanderB
18 Sep 2017, 13:24
Its about consistency for me.

The amenity kits are useful after flight items. I like the nicely designed bags. Useful for cables, chargers, small travel items etc.

Having the ear plugs on hand is also helpful, both on and off flight!
#938498 by Francis007
18 Sep 2017, 14:47
I agree with CommanderB. Not too fussed about the stuff in the amenity kits . However, I think the little bags themselves are extremely useful. Managed to collect a few over the years and my missus finds them handy to pack cables, chargers and some toiletry stuff.

Only 3 weeks to our flight to Boston now, so this morning I decided to arrange our drop off at the Upper Class Wing. Val on the phone was as usual efficient and funny and all booked in. Just a bit disappointed that VS11 departs much later now at 17.25 so no chance of Eggs Benedict in the Clubhouse as we plan to arrive at approx 15.00.

Also arriving Boston at 19.35. By the time we get through Immigration and catch our car to our hotel, it will probably be past 21.00. In our past visits to Boston my Missus has always purchased a years long supply of Clinique cosmetics at Maceys as it is so much cheaper than in the U.K. However I think that Maceys will be shut by 21.00 and we plan to pick our rental car up the next morning at 09.am for the longish drive to the Catskills. So no chance then.

We have always stayed at XV Beacon but I stupidly left it too late to reserve a rooms and they are fully booked. So we have decided to try Fairmont Copley Plaza.....mostly to say hello to Katie Copley !

We are counting the days down
#938499 by honey lamb
18 Sep 2017, 15:41
Francis007 wrote:Just a bit disappointed that VS11 departs much later now at 17.25 so no chance of Eggs Benedict in the Clubhouse as we plan to arrive at approx 15.00.

Erm, Eggs Benedict is still available. It's on the menu as a starter. Look in the Dine section
#938501 by Francis007
18 Sep 2017, 17:35
honey lamb wrote:
Francis007 wrote:Just a bit disappointed that VS11 departs much later now at 17.25 so no chance of Eggs Benedict in the Clubhouse as we plan to arrive at approx 15.00.

Erm, Eggs Benedict is still available. It's on the menu as a starter. Look in the Dine section

Honey Lamb

Thankyou for pointing that out. So, it's Eggs Benedict for me !!!!!!
Virgin Atlantic