For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#938849 by marshy11
03 Oct 2017, 11:11
We're off to Boston or 6 nights, 9th to 15th Nov.

I have the Loews held on a fully cancellable rate at £219 (inc taxes) a night which seems an absolute steal now as the rate has jumped to £334 for the same room booking now.

Having read all the threads on here and suggestions for hotels I have been checking prices and they all seem to be on the up and around the £300+ rate. I know Boston is expensive but we aren't going for Fall so I had hoped they may come down rather than increase....particularly as we are there well before Thanksgiving.

Hilton Faneuil Hall has been dropping in price and a room with them is coming in at the same rate as the Loews (or just lower if I fiddle with websites). I'm not sure if there is a reason it's dropping but it is becoming tempting. I have status with them and although there isn't a lounge I should be able to get an upgrade and breakfast.

Has anyone any other recommendations or thoughts on Loews or Hilton?
#938852 by tontybear
03 Oct 2017, 12:32
I recommend

The Godfrey (Sealink has also stayed there) - close to the common and opposite Macy’s

The Lenox - next to the library and close to the prudential centre and Newbury street shops
#938853 by mitchja
03 Oct 2017, 13:27
I'd recommend the InterContinental which is in a really nice location on the waterfront.
#938859 by Treelo
03 Oct 2017, 18:11
Have a look at The Bostonian which is virtually on top of Quincy Market. I'm looking at a 3 day package there in the Spring for around £650.
#938865 by Francis007
04 Oct 2017, 12:57
Hi Marshy

Always used XV Beacon in Boston and have always been very comfortable there. It's a small boutique hotel with just 7 rooms per floor and in a wonderful position 2 minutes walk from Boston Common.

The hotel has 3 Lexus cars that can be pre-booked free to take you to places within the city limits and to pick you up later .So that might be worth bearing in mind as bit could save you a bit of dosh .

Last November we were able to secure a Classic room for a week there for $395 per night. It's the smallest room available and most are situated at the back of the hotel but are big enough and very comfortable and quiet.

Breakfast at the Moo restaurant is very pricey but there are loads of Diners nearby.
#938886 by marshy11
05 Oct 2017, 13:10
Thanks all. Having looked again at prices and those highlighted by you all, it would seem the Loews is the current (and very cheap) favourite.
#938896 by pjh
05 Oct 2017, 17:37
marshy11 wrote:Thanks all. Having looked again at prices and those highlighted by you all, it would seem the Loews is the current (and very cheap) favourite.

We stayed at Loews for New Year a couple of years ago. Great location and an interesting building, being the old Police HQ. I don't remember much about the accommodation itself as (a) we were out a lot of the time (b) it's one fact in, one fact out at my Senior Railcard time of life and (c) alcohol was involved. One thing I do remember though was being surprised that it only took us 15 minutes to get out to the airport when it had taken us 40 minutes to get in.
#938899 by marshy11
05 Oct 2017, 18:35
pjh wrote:
marshy11 wrote:Thanks all. Having looked again at prices and those highlighted by you all, it would seem the Loews is the current (and very cheap) favourite.

We stayed at Loews for New Year a couple of years ago. Great location and an interesting building, being the old Police HQ. I don't remember much about the accommodation itself as (a) we were out a lot of the time (b) it's one fact in, one fact out at my Senior Railcard time of life and (c) alcohol was involved. One thing I do remember though was being surprised that it only took us 15 minutes to get out to the airport when it had taken us 40 minutes to get in.

Oh, I am in that club (or is it clubs?!!)
#938943 by ColOrd
08 Oct 2017, 19:46
When we did Boston last year which was at the start of fall, we stayed at the Airport Hilton. The location of which was easy enough to get into town for free on the SilverLine bus, but we had to pay to get back.

The advantages of this hotel though was the magnificent view of the Boston skyline that we had. It was just out of this world, I had booked a corner suite with view, but quite simply was one of the best hotel views I have ever had!
#938961 by Eggtastico
09 Oct 2017, 14:04
assuming you can cancel up to 24 hours in advance, it may be worth looking on hotwire or priceline a few days before. Its easy to narrow the secret hotels down based on its reviews & facilities.
#938968 by Sealink
09 Oct 2017, 18:16
I've stayed at The Godfrey five times this year, with another booking in December: it's in a prime location in Washington Street. Across the road is Macy's (when Macy's used to be something!!) but just one street away from Boston Common etc. There's no breakfast area but there is a decent coffee shop downstairs.

I also tried the Hotel Revere and while there was nothing wrong with it, I didn't like it.

Have often wanted to try XV Beacon but find the prices there astronomical.
#939200 by marshy11
20 Oct 2017, 07:42
Thanks again everyone. Finally we made a decision - it really did become a case of having too much choice! We are staying at the Godfrey, booked direct with a great discount off their published rate and it's come in cheaper than the great Loews rate we held.

3 weeks and counting.
#939417 by Sealink
03 Nov 2017, 23:11
marshy11 wrote:Thanks again everyone. Finally we made a decision - it really did become a case of having too much choice! We are staying at the Godfrey, booked direct with a great discount off their published rate and it's come in cheaper than the great Loews rate we held.

3 weeks and counting.

Great choice! I've stayed there five times this year :)
#939419 by marshy11
04 Nov 2017, 16:55
That's definitely an endorsement! We have had superb service from their bookings team thus far and we are now counting down the days!
#939443 by Sealink
05 Nov 2017, 22:30
The bed linen they use is lovely. If you're like me you wont want to ruin the bed by getting in it! I'm sure they puff the pillows with air...
#939445 by SlimpyJones
06 Nov 2017, 09:57
Are any of you familiar with Hotel 140? I've got a couple of nights there over a weekend in February. Reviews suggest it's very good, but it's nice to get a verdict from familiar faces so to speak!
Virgin Atlantic