This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#940090 by alibeau
06 Dec 2017, 14:29
Hi,

We are due to fly MAN to MCO on Saturday. We are flying economy for the first time in years. We purchased super cheap tickets (M&M). I have been checking periodically the cost of upgrading to PE. The tickets we purchased incur an amendment fee of £150 plus the upgrade cost.

My question is, on arrival at the airport is it a set fee for everyone with an economy ticket to upgrade or is the cost/class of the original ticket still taken into account?

Many thanks.

Alison.
#940094 by CommanderB
06 Dec 2017, 16:10
Usually a fixed price. Not sure on the Y buckets as I have been fortunate enough to have not flown Y now for a long time.

But when I often do cheap PE to UC, its a fixed price, so can't see why it would be any different. There is no guarantee an upgrade will be offered though. Only if there are spare seats in PE that they want to sell.
#940095 by Sealink
06 Dec 2017, 16:43
You might be lucky. Expert Flyer shows plenty of seats in PE and amd 5/6 in J right now, so VS may be keen to get extra revenue. Bonne Chance!
#940098 by alibeau
06 Dec 2017, 18:39
Ooooooo exciting!

We are a party of four, 2 AD, 1 YA and 1 CH. Up until a few weeks ago I seemed to be able to see which seats were free in both PE and UC but then they all changed to being 'greyed' out.

Let's wait and see what Saturday brings!

Many thanks.

Ali.
#940100 by tontybear
06 Dec 2017, 20:04
VS changed it a few weeks ago so you couldn't see the available seats in any other cabin but the one you booked in.

Also seat maps are very unreliable when trying to assess how empty a cabin is / potential to buy an upgrade simply because in the scheme of things not that many people are actually bothered about selecting a seat in advance (even if it's free)

Keep checking MMB to see of an upgrade is offered and there is no harm in asking at the airport.
#940102 by alibeau
06 Dec 2017, 21:16
Thank you for the info.

It's a 'budget' trip this time so we'd be looking for a bargain.... not getting my hopes up, so we'll see.

Ali.
Virgin Atlantic