This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#940504 by Hev60
02 Jan 2018, 23:54
Hi just wondering if I have missed any updates regarding a new VS credit Card. I currently have my card still thru MBNA but my grand daughter wants to get a VS credit card in order to earn F.C. miles but cannot sign up at present. Any news or plans happening shortly?
#940507 by mitchja
03 Jan 2018, 03:29
No, nothing has been announced yet as far as I’m aware.
#940508 by gumshoe
03 Jan 2018, 05:46
Headforpoints said at the weekend the new Virgin Money card(s) will launch within the next two months. No further details yet about benefits, sign-up bonuses etc.
#940510 by Hev60
03 Jan 2018, 10:52
Thanks for replies. Unbelievable it’s taking so long to sort out the transfer. Shame for people who wanted to sign up to a credit card in order to accrue some VS miles :-O
Think my ‘lot’ are going down the BA Avios route now as they’ve got a huge spend coming up soon.
Good news for me as I can get a refer-a-friend bonus !
#940513 by Kraken
03 Jan 2018, 12:31
Hev60 wrote:Think my ‘lot’ are going down the BA Avios route now as they’ve got a huge spend coming up soon.
Good news for me as I can get a refer-a-friend bonus !

If the OP's family intend to repay their balance in full each month, don't forget the AMEX Preferred Rewards Gold Card. No annual fee in 1st year (£140 thereafter), 20k membership rewards points bonus for £2k spend in 1st 3 months. Membership Rewards points can be transferred to quite a few airline miles schemes, including VS Flying Club & BA Exec Club.

The OP's family could pick up quite a few miles via Amex, then review their card choice when Virgin Atlantic / Virgin Money get their act together in the next few months.
#940534 by Hev60
05 Jan 2018, 22:04
Thanks Kraken. Both grandkids have applied and apparently been accepted for the The Preferred Rewards Gold Card and will easily reach the req’d spend within the first month alone! so will receive the bonus.
It’s a better deal for them, than if I had recommended them for a basic BA Avios card.
Thanks for the heads up.
#940537 by Kraken
05 Jan 2018, 23:33
Hev60 wrote:Thanks Kraken. Both grandkids have applied and apparently been accepted for the The Preferred Rewards Gold Card and will easily reach the req’d spend within the first month alone! so will receive the bonus.
It’s a better deal for them, than if I had recommended them for a basic BA Avios card.
Thanks for the heads up.

No problem! I had the Preferred Rewards Gold Card a few years back [briefly] for the exact same reason as your grandchildren (i.e. free in year 1, get the bonus points for required spend then ditch the card before year 2).

With it being a proper Amex card, i.e. issued by Amex, you get all the features of Apple Pay & get alerts on your phone every time there is a transaction on the account (even if not via Apple Pay, e.g. an internet purchase).

I dread to think what the new Virgin Money issued Virgin Atlantic card offering will be like when it comes to integration with Apple Pay... Virgin Money don't appear to be at the cutting edge of technology use with some of their products.
#940538 by mitchja
05 Jan 2018, 23:41
Virgin Money are years behind most of the other with no Apple Pay / Android Pay. They don't even have an app!!

The only reason why I now have a Virgin Money CC is because they waive the foreign transaction fees on some of their cards.
#940570 by Kraken
06 Jan 2018, 15:44
McCoy wrote:..and the Virgin Money lounges.

I use the Edinburgh lounge not infrequently..

I can't see those lasting long TBH. When you offer a product to the entire nation, how can you justify a handful of high-street locations that only serve a mere handful of your customers? Virgin Money have 7 lounges in the UK - how they can make these pay without an uber-hard "hard-sell" when you're in one is beyond me.

A bit like the Electricity & Gas Showrooms that used to be offered by British Gas & the regional Electricity Companies. The market got deregulated & they all jumped ship from the high-street presence to cut costs. If you're going for a high-street presence, it needs to be a fairly comprehensive one, or none to reduce costs. Even the main high street banks are closing branches [quite a lot] so how Virgin Money think their handful of lounges will work - and be profitable - is beyond me.
#940573 by mitchja
06 Jan 2018, 16:19
I also can't understand their Money Lounge concept either as we all know, local bank branches are closing on practically a daily basis now!!

The only time I go to a branch now (which is ~12 miles away) is to pay in an occasional cheque (remember those lol??) and even that is changing shortly when we will finally be able to pay cheques in by scanning them using smartphone banking apps like US banks have been able to do for years now!!
Virgin Atlantic