#951626 by David
05 Aug 2019, 08:32
Calling all BA experts :-)

Morning all, needing some advise re a BA claim for a cancelled flight.

Just had a reply confirming, the claim is valid (in part). They will pay the EU261 comp, I need to contact the refunds department for a refund of the cancelled flight (which I think is ridiculous - why cant the claim be paid in one go) but they refuse to pay for my alternate flight to LGW which I had to grab at the last moment at considerable cost - flight was cancelled by them around 4 hours before departure.

Does this sound correct ?

thanks

David
#951627 by gumshoe
05 Aug 2019, 08:49
Yes. You can’t double dip by claiming both a refund for a cancelled flight and the cost of a replacement. It’s one or the other.
#951628 by starquake
05 Aug 2019, 09:06
Thanks for clarification here, looks like I gave my father some bad advice that I now need to clarify following this thread.

Presumably if you take the BA reroute, which they legally obliged to honor, you get the EU261, and a late arrival, but no refund...

Dan
#951629 by gumshoe
05 Aug 2019, 09:15
Correct. Under EC261/2004, in the event of a cancellation you can EITHER claim a full refund OR a reroute, but not both.
#951630 by David
05 Aug 2019, 09:20
gumshoe wrote:Correct. Under EC261/2004, in the event of a cancellation you can EITHER claim a full refund OR a reroute, but not both.

Thanks for quick reply Gumshoe, my email states

"I understand your reasons for asking to be reimbursed for the alternative flight you booked from Edinburgh to London, however we wouldn't reimburse you for this expense. This is classified as a consequential loss which British Airways are not liable for. I'm sorry to disappoint you."

Does that make sense ? BA's alternate flight was 24 hours later (which was allegedly the first available seat out of Edinburgh to any London destination ) which meant I would have missed my transatlantic flight and I was told at checkin "if I needed to be in Gatwick, try Easyjet" with a shrug

David
#951631 by gumshoe
05 Aug 2019, 09:53
Yes it makes sense. If you want to be rerouted rather than take the refund, BA has to process it, you can’t just book a new flight and claim it back afterwards.

Typically they’ll only rebook you on to a non-BA flight as a last resort, but if you push them they should do it as EC261/2004 specifically says you are entitled to be rerouted at the earliest opportunity.

However from BA’s point of view you chose not to travel so they owe you a refund and EC261 compensation but not reimbursement for your EZY flight.
#953046 by starquake
13 Nov 2019, 09:21
Thought I'd add BA did pay up father eventually due to the cancellations, so he's not off flying them again - they paid for his replacement Easyjet routing in full in the end (which Dad booked himself), plus some non-refundable hotel's as he wasn't flying from that airport.

Dan
Virgin Atlantic