This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#961250 by CommanderB
05 Apr 2023, 17:58
Has anyone used the TriStar car service that you can book through your VS Flying Club Account?

The prices quoted are reasonable compared to other Chauffeur services so was wondering if anyone could give any feedback on their experience?
#961252 by Kraken
05 Apr 2023, 18:23
I last used Tristar for a MAN-Derbyshire journey when transfers were still included on a D class UC fare.

No real complaints. My assigned driver was not waiting for me at MAN - but another Tristar driver was there who phoned the office & advised he was on his way & would be there in about 10mins. He even bought me a coffee and a bottle of water. Based on this experience, I'd happily use them again if the price was in the right ball-park.

The one airline that does nail the CDC transfers is Emirates. I know they certainly used to use PCS (Professional Chauffeur Services) for MAN & BHX transfers pre-pandemic. There was, however, rumours of a big court case pending over PCS so no longer sure if they use them. All I can say is when EK did use PCS at MAN, you came out of arrivals, turned left to the Chauffeur Drive area and all the drivers were waiting. You were in your car within a couple of minutes.
#961253 by CommanderB
05 Apr 2023, 18:37
Good to know, thanks Kraken.

Looking at the occasional CDC transfer to offset the chaos of trains and BA flights from MAN.
#961254 by slinky09
05 Apr 2023, 19:17
Tristar used to be brilliant, great cars, always on time, always waiting at LHR on arrival.

Now, impossible to book in advance, poor timekeeping, drivers who are less experienced.

Try but don't expect to much.
#961255 by Claphambear
05 Apr 2023, 20:54
Like Slinky I used Tristan before Add Lees bought them out now avoid
We have used Blacklane for last c5 years without fault
Last edited by Claphambear on 06 Apr 2023, 16:13, edited 1 time in total.
#961260 by AlphaEcho
06 Apr 2023, 15:43
I have outbound and return bookings with them to and from LHR in a few weeks time, booked through the VS website, have used them before to LHR & LGW and have never had a problem. Saying that though the last time I travelled was 2019 so hopefully will still be as good.

In the past they have always turned up on time to pick me up from home and have been waiting for me on return even when the flight has arrived early, drivers always professional and friendly and cars clean.

Price wise they have been competitive, once you take long term car parking at LHR into account its worth the few extra £'s not having to worry about driving to and from the airport and then getting the shuttle bus from the car park. Plus if your in Upper you get the Upper Class wing thrown in as well.
#961261 by buns
06 Apr 2023, 18:22
I have to concur with the majority of the comments here.

Prior to the Pandemic, I would have had no hesitation in endorsing Tristar - who by then are part of Addison Lee. However, in more recent times, the impressive service and always being early seems to have dissipated somewhat :-(

The costs are now prohibitive in my view and the 17,500 points when used in connection with the Upper Class Reward flight, now makes it a viable option - even if the service has dipped a little

buns
#961267 by CommanderB
07 Apr 2023, 17:36
Appreciate the replies!

Sounds like it may be a bit hit-and-miss, but I can try it and see how it is.
#961271 by DragonLady
08 Apr 2023, 10:49
Back in the day ( a long long time ago) they were a good transfer option ( and included in some fares), especially if you had loads of luggage as they provided big estate cars on request :). Then they brought in mileage restrictions which made them pretty much unviable for me as the additional mileage charge in my circumstance just wasn't competitive....
#961293 by CommanderB
11 Apr 2023, 15:30
Good information to know. Thanks all.

They're offering attractive prices vs other sources so they may be worth trying just once.
#961294 by slinky09
11 Apr 2023, 20:07
Another vote for Blacklane, maybe a little pricier but good service.
Virgin Atlantic