#951470 by VS075
23 Jul 2019, 12:21
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49014855

I know SeaWorld has been in the spotlight a lot since the Blackfish scandal a few years ago and have stopped orca breeding and are ditching the killer whale shows this year, but I'm not sure whether this move by VH will discourage many UK visitors from going. Surely those who want to go will just get tickets from other sources or buy them on the gates? Conversely, those who won't go because of Blackfish etc. have already made their minds up accordingly?

I also note Thomas Cook stopped selling tickets a year ago.
#951502 by Fuzzy14
26 Jul 2019, 13:18
It doesn't even make sense as SRB's blog says it's "end the sales and promotion of tourism attractions that involve captive cetaceans, such as whales and dolphins." and yet they still sell tickets to Disney, specifically Epcot.
#951546 by VS075
30 Jul 2019, 12:50
Fuzzy14 wrote:It doesn't even make sense as SRB's blog says it's "end the sales and promotion of tourism attractions that involve captive cetaceans, such as whales and dolphins." and yet they still sell tickets to Disney, specifically Epcot.

I had forgotten about that attraction in Epcot. Are sharks kept in captivity less of an issue than whales and dolphins?

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_GB ... estaurant/

Disney puts Orlando on the map for the vast majority of Florida theme park visitors (with no disrespect to Universal, SeaWorld etc.). VH must make a lot of revenue from holidays involving Disney hotels and, by extension, anyone staying off-resort going to Disney and selling park tickets. Likewise with VS carrying passengers to MCO heading to Disney. I suspect either money is talking, don't realise Disney's own captivity attractions or SeaWorld is an easy target.

I've no agenda here, though I loved visiting Discovery Cove a few years ago and given the way things are going with captivity attractions such as what SeaWorld are doing at the moment, I would encourage anyone to visit Discovery Cove whilst you can.
#951570 by Fuzzy14
31 Jul 2019, 21:58
VS075 wrote:I had forgotten about that attraction in Epcot. Are sharks kept in captivity less of an issue than whales and dolphins?

There’s dolphins in the tank at The Seas at Epcot. Indeed you can even pay to swim with them. I think VH sells the tickets to do so.

I don’t like the hypocrisy that Virgin are taking a stance against SeaWorld while selling tickets for the Disney equivalent.

My personal stance fwiw, I was very impressed with the orca show at SeaWorld, but I didn’t like seeing the animals out of the water. I’m pleased that they’ve ended the breeding program and will soon stop the shows, but I do think there’s a benefit to still see the captive animals (which can’t be released). I did Discovery Cove last Christmas Day, was very impressed and at no point given any impression that the dolphins were other than healthy and enjoying themselves.
Virgin Atlantic