#902041 by Concorde RIP
28 Apr 2015, 11:22
Depending on when you joined this brilliant forum, there will have been ever present members that would post in the style of V-Flyer and with great knowledge and experience.

For me, there were some notable members around that time that I haven't seen on the forum for some time - I was just wondering if anyone had news of them (subject to appropriate levels of discretion, of course).

So, where is
mdvipond
Tinkerbelle
Bill S

There will definitely be others, but I often wonder why these good folks no longer post here (at least not that I've really seen).

Also, do others have members they particularly remember who aren't present so much these days?
#902043 by hiljil
28 Apr 2015, 11:56
Sadly I do remember Tinkerbelle declaring there was too much negativity on the site & that she wasn't going to contribute anymore - & since that declaration I don't think she has :#
#902049 by ScoobySu
28 Apr 2015, 12:53
Mdviponds trip reports were/are fantastic oo) - unruly hang glider anyone? I think he and Mrs mdvipond has been busy with a brother for Tizer - but he recently posted about booking for June if my memory serves me right?
#902063 by Concorde RIP
28 Apr 2015, 13:32
HillJill - Oh! I must have missed that from Tinkerbelle - what a shame.

Yes, mdvipond did post something a while back, but that was pretty much the only time in the last 1 or 2 years - and you're right, those TRs were a complete treat to read - anyone remember the red-faced gentelman and Tarquin!!!!

Ehem - our very own HL's TRs are equally good reads of course (just before I get in trouble!)
#902125 by honey lamb
28 Apr 2015, 21:19
Tinkerbelle did indeed stop posting because of the negativity which abounded at the time. The more seasoned V-Flyers might remember a time when there seemed to be 'enhancements' which in reality were cutbacks at a time when most businesses were tightening their collective belts. Many a V-Flyer flounced off stating they were moving to the 'dark side' (where, no doubt they found that the grass isn't always greener) and one wondered if VS and indeed, V-Flyer would survive. A lot of other posters left around that time

mdvipond is alive and well and currently driving some of us mad with his political postings in the run-up to the UK general election!! ): He (and his good lady wife) did indeed provide a baby brother for Tizer but they haven't taken a VS flight for some time. Hopefully that will be remedied over the summer and I shall bully him into posting a TR. :o)

Concorde, please don't worry about offending me with regard to the excellence of mdvipond's reports. I always take care not to post one of mine at the same time as his as mine will fade by comparison. Let's face it, mine are only interesting because of the disasters I incur or on airlines/routes that are different from the norm and ones like my recent BA one, are really quite bland. Others are coming behind us and taking up the slack. I'm thinking of Bretty and ultreen and scoobySu's recent excellent report

Also, please remember that for some of us long-time site members who have been here for 10+ years, there's a limit to how often we can post the same information and as new members join and are as well-informed, it is easier for us to step aside and let them have their day in the sun.
#902129 by tontybear
28 Apr 2015, 22:01
honey lamb wrote:

mdvipond is alive and well and currently driving some of us mad with his political postings in the run-up to the UK general election!! ): He (and his good lady wife) did indeed provide a baby brother for Tizer but they haven't taken a VS flight for some time. Hopefully that will be remedied over the summer and I shall bully him into posting a TR. :o)

I suggest that the little one be called 'Irn Bru' ): ):

His disasters were always hum drum like leaving the tickets and passports in the hotel safe after thinking his wife had picked them up and she thinking he had!
#902130 by Bretty
28 Apr 2015, 22:22
I seem to remember Tonty had a hiatus, but am glad he's back posting. I've only been around 2 years (gosh is it that long?), but have read a couple of mdvipond's magnificent TRs.

I'm pleased to say that on the odd occasion there's been discord on this forum it is swiftly nipped in the bud and the party's agree to disagree.
#902131 by honey lamb
28 Apr 2015, 22:23
tontybear wrote:
honey lamb wrote:

I suggest that the little one be called 'Irn Bru' ): ):

His disasters were always hum drum like leaving the tickets and passports in the hotel safe after thinking his wife had picked them up and she thinking he had!

Now, now, tonty! v( He did have his Cape Town trip one Christmas deferred till the New Year because of the severe snow storms and he was booked to fly to the USA at the time that the volcano with the unpronounceable name erupted in Iceland and caught the first flight out after it and he did end up going to Washington instead of New York because of Hurricane Sandy. Hardly what I'd call humdrum!
#902143 by easygoingeezer
28 Apr 2015, 23:30
MDVipond is a little frantic with getting support for the Labour party ha ha, just kidding. Myself I post less than I did but check on my phone frequently. Got a bit burnt on fora from some pretty pesky vindictive trolls a couple of years ago so dissapeared for a while.
#903258 by mdvipond
15 May 2015, 12:52
Well, at least now I know why my ears have been burning for the last month...

Labour indeed! Go wash your mouth out, EGG!

We've not flown VS since Autumn 2012 when - as HL pointed out - we ended up in Washington rather than New York. Pretty sure I did a TR for that one though... Then in '13 we went to the Dark Side for our BGI jaunt (and regretted it). Last year - as has been pointed out - we were blessed with the arrival of Tizer's little brother, who will henceforth be known to you good people as Chunky Monkey (wait for the photos - you'll see why), so limited our travels to Italy and France.

We're due out to BGI again in 52 days, and I'm delighted to say we're back with dear old VS! Out of MAN in UC, it'll be Chunky Monkey's first long haul flight (and Tizer's 50 somethingth). And we will, of course, be accompanied by the infamous unruly hang-glider...

Whilst I've not had the chance to visit V-Flyer anywhere near as much as I used to do, I'm thrilled that it's still going on a storm and that there are so many 'new' names appearing in the forums. I miss many of the old members, although I'm glad to say I'm friends now with a lot of them on Facebook (anyone remember The Grinning Jackanapes?). Like others, after 10 years it does get to a stage where you feel you've said all you can say about VS, but I still use the site as a valuable reference tool.

So, I'm still alive, and might even manage a TR or two later this year...
#903262 by ScoobySu
15 May 2015, 14:10
^) oo) ^) oo) ^) oo)
#903266 by slinky09
15 May 2015, 15:48
mdvipond wrote:Well, at least now I know why my ears have been burning for the last month...

You know why your ears have been burning, anyway, I hear that now Mili has retired, he's looking for a nice Yorkshire village to settle in :P :P :P
#903274 by pjh
15 May 2015, 18:28
mdvipond wrote:I'll warn the villagers to have their burning torches and pitchforks to hand... :D

Yeah, right.

"Darling, couldn't find any torches or a pitchfork, will a Chinese lantern and a dibber do?"
#903277 by mdvipond
15 May 2015, 19:02
:o)

Hello Paul, old man. You're probably right. Although, there is a rather active shooting fraternity in the village who think that Farage is a bit too liberal...
#903376 by iforres1
17 May 2015, 14:08
I think Irn Bru is better than Chunky Monkey, just to remind you of all things Scottish :-)
#903377 by pjh
17 May 2015, 14:18
iforres1 wrote:I think Irn Bru is better than Chunky Monkey, just to remind you of all things Scottish :-)

That would bind the lad to a potentially foreign name, to the same effect as "Chardonnay". A better and more robustly northern appellation would be Vimto.
#903378 by VS075
17 May 2015, 14:28
Concorde RIP wrote:Also, do others have members they particularly remember who aren't present so much these days?

Apologies if I've missed it, but whatever happened to the Mannion's? Not seen any posts from either of them for ages.
#903416 by Concorde RIP
18 May 2015, 10:19
Well, hadn't checked in here for a few days, when I do, lo and behold, mdvipond has come in from the cold!

How are you Mark - looks like we're in Barbados at roughly the same time again - perhaps we could try again to have that drink or three? Although, I'm only there for 8 days this time (crying), and have already got a fairly hectic schedule...

For those newer members that haven't experienced trip reports from mdvipond, I strongly recommend you settle down one evening with a nice bottle of something and read of his family's travels, they are great reads.

As posted earlier, shame that Tinerbelle left the forum, does she still work for VS?
#903454 by mdvipond
18 May 2015, 16:33
Hello, Al. Hope you're keeping well. Nice to be able to dip my toe back in V-Flyer waters again :)

We're in Barbados the middle fortnight in July, so if we're out there at the same time (again!) we'll have to have another stab at buying each other a rum punch or two. Or, as you suggest, three.

Tinkerbelle is alive and well and still flying high with VS. The Mannions are flying the Dark Side nowadays, from different sides of the Atlantic, as I understand it.

pjh wrote:
iforres1 wrote:I think Irn Bru is better than Chunky Monkey, just to remind you of all things Scottish :-)

That would bind the lad to a potentially foreign name, to the same effect as "Chardonnay". A better and more robustly northern appellation would be Vimto.

Vimto's quite endearing, I suppose. Panda Cola might suit the lad better though... ;)
#903463 by pjh
18 May 2015, 18:29
mdvipond wrote:Vimto's quite endearing, I suppose. Panda Cola might suit the lad better though... ;)

Shades of Rola Cola....
#904410 by hiljil
01 Jun 2015, 07:25
Does anyone hear from donkeyman ?
He had about 258 "friends" & just disappeared into the sunset.
#909758 by Ajbart
10 Sep 2015, 09:45
Being a complete newbie, I will confess that some of the names mentioned are a complete mystery to me, however, the reverence at which people talk of said mysteries, leads me to feel that I have well and truly missed out!!

However I do enjoy a good yarn, and I have many a time been caught by the o.h chuckling to myself ( and downright laughing out loud) to some of the many miss adventures of our distinguished alumni.

Please carry on!!!
Virgin Atlantic