#944774 by broono83
26 Jun 2018, 15:32
Thought I'd post a review up for what I imagine is a fairly rare flight being both seasonal, new (last year I think) and to Glasgow!

We'd spent 4 nights in New York then a great 9 nights in Jamaica in Sandals Ochi then Royal Caribbean . Routing back through JFK and direct to Glasgow on Delta got us home at 11am on Saturday rather than overnight MBJ-LGW then a long day waiting for an EasyJet flight home to GLA so was well worth it.

Our flight got into JFK at (what I thought was) 16:30 so we had plenty time to get to the Clubhouse and then Delta lounge before our 23:30 departure. Unfortunately my wife had left her phone on the Delta flight from Jamaica so we wasted an hour trying to retrieve it. We were passed immigration by this point so we let the Delta baggage office know exactly where it was located on the plane and they called the gate who still couldn't locate it apparently. Ah well.

After collecting our bags and depositing them 20 yards away them we had to clear JFK security again which was insanely busy. Luckily we were able to skip 90% with Priority Pass but still took about 45 mins. Finally got to the clubhouse where I was informed it was closing at 21.25 after the last VS flight. We had a quick burger and a couple drinks. We started playing pool as the place emptied and a waitress asked if I was finished my drink, I said yes and ordered an old fashioned, she gave me a "are you sure?" look then went to get me it. At this point the security was in trying to clear the place - but it was only 20:30 according to my watch. I hadn't taken into account the hour for Jamaica! I said many apologies to the waitress when she brought my drink but she laughed it off. I downed it and headed to Delta Sky Lounge, left 1 guy in the Clubhouse who was still eating at the bar!

Entrance to the Delta lounge was easy and had a couple drinks there as our flight was delayed 20 mins or so before we left to board. The plane was a 757-200 I think with 16 Delta One seats - cabin was full. We were in 1C and D at the front which I think is the pick of them as there's a bulkhead in front and your a bit recessed from 1A and B with the toilet on the AB side, making 1C & D seem very private. I'd say the Delta one seat is significantly better the Upper, not only for the lack of flipping to make it a bed but it just feels much larger and comfier IMO with more storage space around it. Downside of this particular layout is no aisle access from window seat.

I saw the CC preparing champers so I thought I'd nick to the toilet, on coming out the other CC was bending over prepping something in the galley opposite, in my effort to avoid bumping into her I knocked a tray off the trolley behind me ;-( VERY embarrassing. The CC in the galley seemed none too pleased and I scurried back to my seat. Accepted a drink from the other CC and tried to put it out of my mind. Karma was on its way though as the drinks run commenced shortly after take off. One of the CC had moved the trolley into the middle of the aisle in prep of her run but had left the brake off and it started to roll quickly down the aisle, I stuck my arm out and caught it and held it for about 2 minutes before she realised and came to retrieve it! :D We'll call it a score draw.

Meals were served and I had the beef which was overcooked and not a patch on the one I had out in Upper. Followed by ice cream Sundays which were amazing! The CC asked each person if they would like to be woken for breakfast, I said no as it was now only about 4.5 hours to landing (very short flight JFK-GLA), so i reclined my bed and got a solid 4 hours in.

I thought the Delta seat was great, although the window seat has no aisle access. Not sure what a Delta flight out from UK would be like, there's no bar or anything and doesn't seem like it would have the same "fun" atmosphere as a VS flight. I'd definitely use the Glasgow flight home again though as its so convenient.
#944777 by SlimpyJones
26 Jun 2018, 18:09
Thanks this was an interesting read! My girlfriend and I are doing Delta One EDI-JFK in December so it was nice to hear the narrowbody business seat is very good.

Indeed I believe JFK-GLA is summer seasonal only.

Surprised to hear about the food though my last meal on Delta One was excellent!
#944782 by broono83
27 Jun 2018, 10:25
Yeh I was surprised the food wasn't better after reading many good reviews but could well have been a one off. I had eaten in the Clubhouse so wasn't too bothered. And the ice cream was excellent!

Be interesting to hear what you think of the flight ex-UK on Delta, looking forward to a TR!
#944794 by David
27 Jun 2018, 14:35
Hi Broono63

Thanks for Tr.

I’ve been looking at these flights ex EDI so will also be interested in SlimpyJones’s experience ex EDI

The price (and convenience) in Delta One if your flexible with dates looks great although literally for a few pounds more you have the option of via LHR - decisions decisions.

Interesting also to hear about the food as it looked like Delta was always over the top with their offerings but as you say, maybe a one off.

The convenience of landing a few miles from your final destination does make a very compelling case.

If Virgin bought a few more ex Air Berlin planes and converted them to VS spec and took over the Delta JFK route out of GLA & EDI would just be perfect.

David
#944797 by pjh
27 Jun 2018, 15:06
broono83 wrote:
Be interesting to hear what you think of the flight ex-UK on Delta, looking forward to a TR!

There is one here from LHR...
#944800 by broono83
27 Jun 2018, 16:05
Yeh be interesting to see how you fare ex EDI.

As per the gent above (pjh) we have always flown out of LHR. There's nothing resembling a decent lounge in GLA and the clubhouse is such a part of the Upper experience I'm happy to travel to London for it, especially if following onto a daytime flight to the US/Caribbean.

As our Delta was a night flight I didn't feel I would be missing anything anyway but would definitely use them again. We had 2 flights in Delta First between JFK - Caribbean which were both excellent too.
Virgin Atlantic