#944941 by Sealink
07 Jul 2018, 02:04
A return to my new favourite city in America - Chicago.

While I would have loved to have flown with Virgin (who no longer fly direct), British Airways fares ex Inverness are superb value, and it was a no brainer for this trip. 

I have to say that I take my hat off to anyone who adds extra sectors in pursuit of a lower fare - and the differences can be amazing - however I found the entire thing extremely tiring, with extra lounge time no substitute for a direct flight. 

That said, the saving on this trip was over £1000 in J, so with that saving in mind, I booked Inverness - Heathrow - Chicago.

Inverness Airport is small, and really lovely, security took no more than 5 minutes and before long I was in the tiny and full Aspire Lounge. They were turning away Priority Pass holders. However, the staff there helped people find the few remaining available seats. When the lounge was created I don’t think they planned for a new KLM Amsterdam service, or indeed, BA’s Heathrow return. Both routes are doing exceptionally well, with extra flights added for the summer season. Indeed, on all my INV LHR sectors the flights were fully booked.

The Aspire Lounge offers a range of self-pour alcoholic drinks, soup, sandwiches, crisps, cheese and biscuits as well scones with jam and Rodda’s Clotted Cream :)

This is the view from the lounge, with the BA Heathrow flight having just arrived, and a Loganair mail flight also having landed.

Group Boarding (a sore point!) was enforced, although passengers get easily confused by the signage.

I was assigned Seat 1A, and before long, lunch was served. Club Europe food isn’t brilliant, but at least the veggies and sun-dried tomato had flavour. Champagne was also available but I declined.

An amazing view of London…

[img[https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1763/28376556087_419713bf8a_b.jpg[/img]

Like the rest of the UK, the weather was beautiful at Heathrow.

The departure board indicated what I already knew - an an A380 was operating to Chicago, we would be departing from the C Gates.

Happily, I didn’t have to clear security again and headed to the B Gates where BA have a lounge - this is much much quieter than the lounges in the main T5 building.

I used the walkway on Floor -4 to avoid the crowds on the transit vehicles.

This is one of Heathrow’s best kept secrets!

The views from the B Gates are excellent

[img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/842/43196610922_efb621771b_b.jpg[/b]

I didn’t spend too long in the lounge, and wasn’t keen on the offers (sandwiches, soup and various self service hot meals which didn’t look especially appetising.

Boarding was called! And this was my seat …

Plenty of legroom…

You do feel very close to your seat mate in BA Club World. This seat remained empty for my flight though.

The Club World cabin - admittedly I was near the front (upstairs)

The new Club World service was on this flight, including new menus.

A drink (Kir Royale) was served promptly after take off, with warmed nuts.

The cabin manager (?? Not sure of the titles) came around to introduce himself, apologise for the slow service (which has beset the new Club World service) and was a little disparaging of the overall concept, which I didn’t think was very professional. But I think he was trying to be friendly, although missed the mark. The service was slow but not painfully so, and the food was really decent.

More drinks, this time to my usual JD & Diet Coke.

This was the table set up for dinner…

And the starter was served…

The main course tasted better than it looked…

Finally some Strawberry Panna Cotta….

The food was much improved on previous Club World services, although I would say that I think Virgin Upper Class food has the edge. The service on BA was friendly, but not as personal as what you get on a good Virgin flight. However, I would have no hesitation on flying BA again, and because of their excellent ex INV fares it is great value.

I found the flight to be incredibly boring though, I couldn’t find much to watch on the inflight entertainment, and I really felt the lack of an onboard bar. 

I tried to sleep for a bit but was not entirely successful in that endeavour.

Nothing else for it…

Afternoon Tea was served but I decided to go for the tapas style plate rather than sandwiches. It was a nice enough dish.

The last few minutes before landing in Chicago…

And then to my favourite city…

During my time there, I was invited to a wedding, went clubbing with the hotel staff, visited a great restaurant called The Purple Pig, and met so many people. It’s a really friendly city, has a great Jazz scene, and hotel prices are not of the ‘HOW MUCH?????’ That you get in Boston and New York! 

Already planning my next trip….!
#944948 by SlimpyJones
07 Jul 2018, 11:22
Cheers for the TR Sealink. Chicago is a great city. If you're still there, check out Kuma's in Logan Square if you fancy somewhere a bit out of town. Assuming you're into burgers of course.

Given you have flown them both, I'm interested in your opinion of BA CW vs. AA business class
#945487 by Sealink
07 Aug 2018, 22:37
SlimpyJones wrote:Cheers for the TR Sealink. Chicago is a great city. If you're still there, check out Kuma's in Logan Square if you fancy somewhere a bit out of town. Assuming you're into burgers of course.

Given you have flown them both, I'm interested in your opinion of BA CW vs. AA business class

I prefer the food on AA business class, and AA entertainment is better, however, I do prefer the BA crews.
AA and DL crew always feel distant. I've been spoilt by VS I have to say!
#945507 by Hamster
08 Aug 2018, 14:01
Thanks for the TR! Love Chicago.

Interesting that you think AA food is better, I'm the opposite - I even think BA J food is better than AA F. I think it's all to do with tastes though, not quality.

Agree with you about AA crew, they seem to offer as little service as possible with as little talking as possible.
Virgin Atlantic