#947029 by woralla
17 Nov 2018, 21:18
This flight was part of a trip to LA. Fare prices on the direct VS flight were pretty steep so I opted for a connecting flight through Atlanta on a Delta codeshare. I was keen to see what Delta’s A330 service was like.

Delta use the same check-in desks as Virgin at Heathrow, but you have to go through a security check firstly, where you are asked various questions and a sticker is placed on the back of your passport. In my case the sticker went on top of a pile of VS ones from the days before the new ticketing systems.

Through check-in and a relatively quiet security lane, I headed on to the Clubhouse. It was busy so it took a few minutes to find a spare seat. A waiter soon came over and a Clubhouse breakfast was ordered. The food arrived about five minutes later, which was good as I only had a small amount of time ahead of boarding.

I left for the gate just after the gate number appeared on the display board. It was gate 31. Delta appears to start boarding a little earlier than Virgin so just under an hour before departure I boarded the plane.

Delta One - their business class - was spread across the first cabin and half of the second cabin. I had a window seat towards the front of the first cabin.

Sparkling white wine, water and orange juice were offered as people settled in to their seats. The cabin manager also came around welcoming everyone by name and taking food orders. You only select a main course as all starters are served together.

The plane pushed back on time and joined a short queue for takeoff. It was a lovely clear day at Heathrow to look out of the window at the airfield.

Once in the air, hot towels were offered, before the drinks trolley came around. I opted for a glass of champagne. They served Lanson.

The entertainment system had a good selection of new and classic movies and TV shows. I started watching a movie and soon preparations for lunch started. Three starters were served on a tray: a Thai coconut soup, lemongrass ginger prawns and a Caesar salad. All very tasty and quite filling. For main course I had selected spinach and cream cheese stuffed chicken. A fair sized portion was served. I finished off lunch with a vanilla ice cream sundae. You certainly do not lack for food on a Delta flight!

After lunch I watched a second movie before having a nap. The seat reclines back to be fully flat.

Midway through the flight warm chocolate chip cookies were offered with a drinks service. The crew were very attentive throughout the flight offering drinks/top-ups at regular intervals.

Towards the end of the flight a further snack was offered. I chose the Cuban pork sandwich, which arrived with a side salad. Just a couple of minutes after this was served, the pilot came over the PA to announce our initial descent.

All in all, it was a good flight. The seat is more comfortable than the 767s which Delta used to have on this route. But in my opinion it isn’t as good as the Virgin A330-300 experience, with the bar to get chatting to others at.

I’ve made a video of the flight, which you can find over on YouTube

In Atlanta I connected on to a Delta Boeing 777 flight to Los Angeles.
#947038 by SlimpyJones
18 Nov 2018, 10:12
Thanks very much for the TR! I have been keen to try Delta's A330 product for a while. It does look better than the old 767s I agree.

I've had similar experiences with the crew, my last flight had a crew with a bit of a school dinnerlady feel (except one who was lovely). They tend to lean more towards functionality and efficiency. Not to say that's bad in my opinion. Anyway, thanks again. And for the video!
#947049 by woralla
18 Nov 2018, 15:41
The plane was a lot better than the 767s which Delta fly on other routes. The flight didn’t have the fun element of a VS one. The crew were polite and efficient. SimplyJones’ reference to school dinnerladies is apt, but friendly dinnerladies :-)
#947050 by mitchja
18 Nov 2018, 16:21
Thanks for the TR. I'll be doing the DL33 (the afternoon LHR>ATL flight) in Feb in Delta One for the first time so this is very useful, thanks. I was originally on the DL31 but for some reason I got bumped onto the DL33 after booking it?

DL did a marketing push easier this year saying they where now only using their A333's on all their LHR routes. No idea if or when they will ever start using their new A350's though? I would guess LHR will be low on the list of A350 routes though with VS already offering a full Premium cabin on all their routes.
#947059 by buns
18 Nov 2018, 20:00
Thank you for a particularly interesting TR - not least as Mrs Buns and I will be taking this route to get to MCO in February.

Thanks for the tip about check in and will bear that in mind :-D

Have to agree about the 330 seating looking far more preferable than the 767. Your YouTube Vlogs are greatly appreciated and Mrs Buns has told me to tell she really likes them :-D :-D

Thanks once again for the TR and your splendid Vlogs

buns
#947145 by pjh
22 Nov 2018, 18:25
When we flew LHR-JFK on DL just after last Christmas we didn't have any additional questions, though we expected them. Maybe because we used DTCI?

We enjoyed the DL service on board. Friendly and efficient, and the food and wine was to my taste and plenty of it. The only bit that rankled a bit was being service spirits from miniatures.
Virgin Atlantic