#947058 by gilly
18 Nov 2018, 19:59
So after a nice time staying with our son and his girlfriend, with a cheeky weekend trip to Langkawi in the middle, it was time to go home.

We took a Grab to the airport, arriving after check-in SHOULD have opened, however, it didn’t, so we mooched around for half an hour or so and eventually they strolled up and took 15 minutes or so getting sorted. We finally got rid of our bags and went through to security. Another pat down - note to self, must buy wireless undergarments - but having packed my straighteners in my check-in bag, there was no swabbing this time.

We made our way to the Plaza Premium Lounge and were pleasantly surprised. We were warmly welcomed, seated at the dining area and given menus. My husband ordered vegetable rice but I just helped myself to some salads from the buffet. Then we both had a slice of THE most delicious chocolate cake. Not at all sweet, but really dark, light, moist and chocolatey. Really delicious. We then moved to the comfortable seating area and spent a while on our iPads there. Wifi was very good.

We left for the gate before being called and walked the short distance, yet more security, and another pat down - grrrr - then we sat for a minute or two before being invited to board, again via two doors. I was actually first to board. This time we were on an A346 in seats 2E and 2F in a 2-2-2 configuration. Although these seats were less private than those on the Dreamliner, I quite liked them in the middle. I would not have liked climbing over, or being climbed over had we chosen window seats and I had deliberately chosen them so we both had aisle access. There was more foot room as the table was at the side rather than under the TV screen, but there was considerably less storage. And far less privacy. The cabin was anout 2/3 full.

We were quickly given our boarding drinks, we both had the lemon mint again, and PJs with slippers. The amenity kits were already in place. After take off, tge FSM came and said hello again and we opted to eat straightaway and once again I chose the meze, my go to food choice always. I refused a main course but had ice cream afterwards. My husband had sea bass and berries this time with elderflower juice. We changed and both watched a film then bedded down. It was quite nice sitting together, but I must admit that the seats facing completely forward, rather than in the reverse herringbone pattern of the 787, made me feel very exposed when lying down and so I have to say we shall continue to try and secure window seats in future, unless on this type of aircraft.

This flight went very quickly indeed, though in fact was longer than the next one, and in no time we arrived at Doha. The crew on this leg were exceptionally good, though all had been excellent really, but these were fantastic. We were deplaned and in the lounge again in no time, this time having a couple of hours to transit. We had time for a light meal and a drink in the lounge before our final flight.