#948715 by buns
14 Feb 2019, 15:15
I have posted this under the VS Flight Share Number rather than the true DL Code (DL31) as this was booked direct with VS (with a 932 PNR) and the return was scheduled to be on VS.

Anyways, as seems to be the case with Mrs Buns and I in recent times, there was some uncertainty as to whether we would be able to get away, but things did work out, so the day of travel arrived and we both had a smile on our face in expectation of our first Delta Transatlantic crossing.

I had booked Tristar (through Addison Lee, who now own them) and true to form the driver was with us before the scheduled pick up time, so we set off with plenty of time to ensure the opportunity to get a treatment in the Clubhouse. However, a road accident on the M25 whilst en route (which resulted in a normal 45 minute journey turning into a 90 minute tour of the Surrey Countryside) making us nervous of whether we would be able to get time for the Clubhouse, let alone a treatment!

Following Worella's example, as we were on a VS Codeshare, we were dropped off outside Terminal 3 as opposed to using the Drive Thru Check In. After a stop for security questions, we were quickly processed at the desk and made our way to the Private Security Channel - which we found deserted :-O A determined walk saw us in the Clubhouse in no time and we, of course, made our way straight to the Spa to find not only could we have our choice of time, but that the place was unexpectedly uncrowded. Treatments booked, we then retired for a well earned breakfast, before returning for treatments.

Afterwards, we settled back with a Bramble for Mrs Buns and a Redhead for myself whereupon I indulged in a shoeshine - something I do miss at the Gatwick Clubhouse. The flight was called 45 minutes before departure and we made out way to Gate 31 to find that boarding had not actually commented. after a short wait we made our way on board amongst the plethora of Delta Elites and into the cabin.

We were seated in 4C & G in the front of the two Delta One Cabins aboard the A330-200. First impressions were good, the seating area looked clean and there was plenty of overhead locker space for each of us (which I used to store the voluminous bedding supplied) offered Champagne or soft drinks and both Mrs Buns and I were addressed by name - which continued throughout the flight. The amenity kit and menus were on our seats and shortly afterwards, the Purser came up to those who had not pre-ordered their meals (an option we had not had because we were on a Codeshare) and took my order for the main course, with the quip "I'll make sure you get that".

Take off slightly delayed but no real issue, and once in the air hot towels handed out followed by the drinks trolley. This does make serving those initial drinks run far quicker. Although Gentlemen Jack may not be available on Delta Woodford Reserve was ;-) accompanied by "Premium Heated Nut Mix"

The Menu

Starters
Crusted Beef Filet
Caesar Salad
Creamy Onion Soup

ALL three starters were served :-O although if you did not care for the soup, as Mrs Buns did, that could be declined

Main Course
Grilled Beef Tenderloin
Braised Chicken Thigh
Roasted Salmon

Both Mrs Buns and I opted for the beef and it was delicious!! Tender and full of flavour - given this is prepared by and outstation, you must wonder what VS (or BA for that matter) can make a hash of their dinning offerings.

Desserts
Vanilla Ice Cream Sundae
Chocolate Trufflion
Selection of Fine Cheeses

This is served from a trolley andI could resist having their celebrated ice cream sundae with the toppings added to your personal choice.

One thing very different from the VS serving process, is that both Mrs Buns and I prefer not to indulge in wine during the meal, so getting another spirit drink was not a problem as can often be the case with VS.

I did watch the latest Johnny English Film which I found quite funny and the entertainment system is full and varied. AS I mentioned earlier, the crew were attentive and addressed by name throughout. Perhaps because they were slightly more mature than you often see on VS. Given they had done a 24 turnaround in the UK, it makes their approach to service all the more remarkable. I messaged Delta to show my appreciation.

As if we had not had enough to eat, snack were offered around during the flight as well as the "Mid Flight Snack" of a warm chocolate chip cookie :-O

I took the opportunity to have a walk around the aircraft (if only to try and walk of some of the food provided) and like VS, the Delta One Cabin as full but the economy cabin half empty.

Before landing, there was yet another food service:

Almost There
Herb Roasted Chicken Sandwich
Baby Gem and Chilled Prawn Salad

Mrs Buns and I chose separate options and both were excellent!

We landed at ATL into Terminal E (as opposed to Terminal F used by VS and other non US Airlines) so after bidding our farewells to the excellent crew we were in an empty Immigration Hall and processed quickly, even allowing us to complete our Global Entry Application as there was nobody else at the Secondary Inspection Pod when we arrived.

As this took a little time, by time we got to the baggage carousel, our bags were the only ones left :-) We then went to the Delta Desk to get our onward tickets to MCO and then passed through the TSA Checkpoint to board the Tram to Terminal A for our connecting flight to MCO.

All in All, a very impressive flight and notwithstanding the trials and tribulations of our return experience, it is a route we will condider using again if the price is right.

Thanks for reading

buns
#948716 by hiljil
14 Feb 2019, 15:54
Thank you for an enjoyable and interesting TR.

I must say I felt quite full up myself just by reading your food options ! :-D
#948720 by pjh
14 Feb 2019, 17:53
Sounds like you had a great time and it does mirror our experience to JFK last year, including the driving round the Surrey countryside bit. Well, in our case standing still in the Surrey countryside.

Why did you not use the DTCI? When we flew to JFK - on DL but booked via VS - we were welcomed with open arms. Or would have been had the gate actually, you know, been working.