#949167 by woralla
09 Mar 2019, 17:21
This flight was a VS codeshare.

I arrived at Heathrow Terminal 2 via the Heathrow Express. Check-in counters for business were locate behind economy in zone A. There was no queue, so check-in was very quick. I was then through Fast Track security in a few minutes.

Singapore flights depart from the satellite terminal B, which was about a seven minutes walk through an underground tunnel from the main terminal. There was a business lounge with a buffet of hot and cold food, drinks stations offering soft drinks, and a bar area. Pretty good, but not a patch on the Clubhouse.

I headed to the gate just ahead of the boarding time shown on my boarding pass. Within a moment, boarding started and I was straight on to the plane. Business and First Class passengers boarded through door 1, with others boarding through door 2, despite half of the business seats being beyond door 2 in the second cabin. I was at the back of the front cabin; at the very front was a row of First Class, then a screen and three rows of business.

The seat was spacious, although the footstool was offset to one side, making for a slightly uncomfortable seating arrangement, as the seat itself faced directly forward. Socks, slippers and an eye mask were provided, but no amenity kit.

Before takeoff, welcome drinks including champagne, water and juices were offered along with a hot towel. Then post-takeoff drink and meal orders were taken. I had pre-ordered my meals, so the crew confirmed just this.

We pushed back roughly on time and were in the air after about a fifteeen minute taxi.

The seat belt sign came off fairly quickly, and drinks and the food service followed. The food was good, although there was no choice of starter. For a main course I had chicken rogan josh, followed by tiramisu.

After dinner, I converted the seat into a bed. Like the VS seat, it flipped forward to form a bed on the back. There was a sheet already attached to the back of the seat by Velcro. A small pillow and blanket were provided. I didn’t find the bed particularly comfortable, in part because of the skewed angle over to the footrest.

About two and a half hours before landing, breakfast was served. There was a plate of fruit, followed by yoghurt, then poached eggs and sausage. The breakfast food was excellent.

The flight landed in Singapore just ahead of schedule. Immigration queues weren’t particularly long, so I was through to find a taxi within about twenty minutes of landing.

Overall, a good flight as a first leg down to Australia. Although I dl miss VS flying that route.

There’s a video review of the flight over on YouTube
#949173 by buns
10 Mar 2019, 07:19
Thanks for the TR and excellent YouTube Vlog.

I do have one question - Does Singapore Airlines still offfer the "Book the Cook" option?

Thanks once again

buns
#949176 by woralla
10 Mar 2019, 10:32
buns wrote:Does Singapore Airlines still offfer the "Book the Cook" option?

Yes, they do. In advance I could either select from the onboard menu or choose from a wider list. I went with the onboard menu simply because I liked the sound of the dishes on offer.
#949182 by Snora
10 Mar 2019, 17:07
We have just returned from NZ a few weeks ago having flown Business on Singapore Airlines to SIN as a stopover midway. Both ways. Excellent seats as always, and yes we used 'Book the Cook' and it was really good quality food. We live near MAN and chose to depart to SIN from Copenhagen saving quite a bit on the seats. The flight from MAN to CPH was with Easyjet and on time and a good flight and on the way home we flew SAS from CPH to MAN just because the times were better and in fact SAS was as cheap as Easyjet as their mid priced Econ option gave us a checked bag each free.. Our Virgin FC miles for both legs on Singapore Airlines appeared really quickly on our accounts but we have had to chase the SAS ones.

We plan to use exactly the same route when we return to NZ in about 2 - 3 years as it really was an excellent trip and at circa £2400 each Business we thought it good value.
#949185 by buns
11 Mar 2019, 05:58
woralla wrote:Yes, they do. In advance I could either select from the onboard menu or choose from a wider list. I went with the onboard menu simply because I liked the sound of the dishes on offer.

Thanks for the reply.

ONE day, yes one day, we will go East with Singapore

buns
Virgin Atlantic