#949371 by pjh
19 Mar 2019, 16:07
The end of the previous TR (here) found us in yet another apparently chaotic queue at security at ATL after our unscheduled trip to Charlotte. Security seemed more interested in keeping up the pace than was the case at passport control, so we made it through security quite quickly given the circumstances, and made it via the transit system to our gate. On enquiring very meekly what our situation was in respect of at least travelling in the class booked, we were first told “no chance” and then as we turned away, consoled with the fact that it was to be only a 40 minute flight, the agent said “oh….no, go and stand in the queue for First”. A SkyLounge was invitingly close by, but as we didn’t yet know our seating assignments we opted to hang tight. After a few minutes we realised that actually we did know our assignment, as it was being rotated through on a screen about our heads, and we were to be in 1A and B. (The screen also showed a good few people still on standby).

After boarding the 737, we slumped gratefully in our seats and whilst the maelstrom swirled behind us (“please take your seats…carry ons in wheels first…we are running out of overhead space….) were offered drinks and refills almost immediately. Snacks only this flight, but there were a variety of these freely and frequently offered once we took off, roughly on time. The seats themselves were fine, and a full programme was available on the IFE. Though there is complimentary wifi for watching the IFE on your device and certain messaging apps, I couldn’t get it to connect and gave up on it. I think it may have been down to the relatively short time we must have been over 10,000 feet as it only becomes available at this altitude.

Again, drinks were offered so I asked for a “bourbon”. “A what?”, came the reply, so I cycled through as many variations of the pronunciation as I could. In the end they said “Oh, a bourbon” followed by a phrase that followed us everywhere the through subsequent trip, “You’re not from around here, are you?” (morphing into “Y’all not from around here, are y’all?” on occasion)

No sooner than we were up in the air we were on descent into MSY, and finally on the ground and out into the slightly sticky night. What followed was one of the relative lowlights of the trip, for we had opted for slightly cheaper hotel option away from the airport, but with a shuttle and access to a mall for food. As various other hotel shuttles came through repeatedly, ours made not appearance. Eventually I called, and they said “ok, we’ll send it now”. Not really what I wanted or expected, and then of course when we go to the hotel – which was little more than a motel - the mall was closed and the hotel itself had no food options. A poor decision on our part…and not the last on the trip that followed.

(Nor did they cover themselves with glory the next morning, when we were told the shuttle wasn’t running and we’d have to get ourselves a taxi. Which turned out to cost the difference between this place and one of the standard on airport hotels. Penny wise, pound foolish on our part)
#949410 by hiljil
20 Mar 2019, 11:55
Oh dear. My optimistic comment after your first instalment was wide of the mark .... surely things get better ? :-O