#950541 by Fuzzy14
22 May 2019, 17:15
Now it wouldn’t be a Fuzzy returning home from Florida trip report without some kind of adventurous story. And here we go. We were doing 3 flights on the return leg and the first two had gone really well, so found ourselves on a plane at Heathrow at 0940 the problem being our next flight was at 1030. On a different plane.

We got off the plane as quick as we could and found a crew member standing at the end of the jet bridge aware that we were coming, she noted our names and said the next flight were also aware of us coming. So we made our way from T5B satellite to T5 proper and the joys that is UK Border. This is where I was panicking as I’ve had trouble here in the past (which resulted in me spending 8 hours drinking in the Galleries, but not with kids in tow). Surprisingly, the UK Border was quiet and we were soon processed, and then onward to security because despite coming off a plane Heathrow insist on re-scanning. Again a bit of a hurry but we managed to get through by 1015 and the departure boards saying the gate was about to close!

Note it was only afterwards I realised I had liquids in my bag from the previous flight but security hadn’t picked up on it.

A quick dash across T5 to the far gate to find people were still queuing up to get on the plan so we had made it and I could indeed relax. Then I received the text

BABAGGAGE > We are sorry to report that 5 checked bags did not reach your flight.

This is different but not entirely surprising given we’d only just made the flight ourselves. Indeed, they were probably still taking the bags off the last plane.

The flight up to Glasgow was nothing much to report, the youngest had went back to sleep and the others stared at their phones for an hour. Nobody seemed hungry for the squashed things I had picked up on the last flight.
On arrival we presented ourselves to the lost baggage office, filled in a form and started receiving a lot of text messages. Having never lost baggage before we first got a text to say they knew where our bags were (great) and then they were on the 1640 flight, and then had been handed over to a courier company to deliver to us (I wanted to nip down to the airport that evening to collect.) It now being 1830 on a Sunday evening we didn’t hear from the courier company until the Monday morning, while I was at work. Felt it was a lost opportunity to get the bags the same day but it all ended up good apart from a few cans of beer which didn’t make it and soaked all the clothes.

Verdict: Just yer usual BA domestic flight, highly efficient. First time the family had been dragged thru T5, plane to plane in 40 minutes must be a record. The kids were smashing and it didn’t put us off 3 flights, but will try to avoid if possible.
#950552 by David
23 May 2019, 08:32
A great batch of trip reports from beginning to end. Its sometime a challenge living in Scotland to get to your destination directly or with as few changes as possible but I enjoy that, on the way out especially. The way home, not so much.

We must have been near neighbours in Jan as I bagged a last minute stay at first in the Hilton at Disney Springs then at OKW the same time you were in Saratoga, flying out to Orlando from Gatwick and back via Atlanta.

It is strange seeing the way our American cousins behave on internal flights and sometimes a little worrying the lack of respect they give to safety instructions and really weird taking off with the window blinds down.

Roll on the next adventure.

David
#950553 by Fuzzy14
23 May 2019, 09:28
Thanks, I wasn't going to bother doing a trip report for these as they're BA however your last trip inspired me. I've also realised I've done a trip report for every flight with my kids and it's a nice database to look back on and wonder how on earth we managed it in the past!

We're DVC at Animal Kingdom but gradually trying our all the resorts. That was my first time at Saratoga and I can see why people like it with it's proximity to Disney Springs but I preferred the extra space at OKW.