#956580 by woralla
11 Jul 2020, 10:56
After four months of lockdown, I needed to get away. The world of flying has changed a bit, so I thought it worth writing up the experience. Presumably when VS get back to passenger services, something similar will be offered.

EasyJet didn’t appear to have any flights to Barcelona on my date of travel, so I booked one of the two BA services departing from Heathrow. It departed at 7.40am so I stayed at an airport hotel overnight.

The Barcelona service would usually depart from Terminal 3, but with that closed, all BA flights currently leave from Terminal 5. Entering the terminal you pass a thermal scanner, but I didn’t see anyone manning it to stop people with high temperatures. Wearing a face covering was mandatory throughout the terminal. Parts of the terminal are not in use; an entire bank of check-in desks was closed. But with relatively low passenger numbers this wasn’t an issue.

Ahead of travel I’d received various emails from BA. The first gave details of Spain’s immigration process. More on that later. The second encouraged me to download the BA app and check-in online to avoid contact with staff. I was also encouraged to bring as little hand luggage as possible and use the self-service bag drop. This I did, and it was all very efficient.

Fast-track security was not open, but there were only a few people going through security in any event. One change in process is that everyone was asked to remove their shoes and put them through the x-ray. I assume this is to minimise staff contact because I’ve only been asked to remove my shoes at Heathrow previously if I set off the metal detector.

Airside was fairly busy with most stores open for business.

The Galleries Lounge was open for Club Europe passengers. In the afternoon, where passenger number are reduced, this lounge closes and everyone is directed to the First Class lounge.

In the Galleries Lounge there is no longer a buffet, with everything being table service. You scan a QR code on your phone which brings up a food and drink ordering website. The service was very quick, arriving within minutes. Although the staff hadn’t yet got used to the table numbering and did have to search around a little to locate the right passenger.

There was a long rope line and social distancing markers to queue for the bathrooms. However, there was no queue and I was pointed straight towards a vacant room. After my visit, a member of staff immediately went to clean the facilities.

On to the gate, and boarding no longer has a priority process, other than those in wheelchairs. Everyone else is called forward by row, with those at the back of the plane boarding first. They called the last five rows firstly, then the next five. After that they gave up and called the rest of the plane in one go. Rather odd when the seat map showed relatively few people at the back of the plane compared to further forward. I held back until almost the end of the boarding process.

People in the queue were good at maintaining social distance. As each person came forward to scan their own boarding pass, they were asked to temporarily remove their face mask and hold up their opened passport for a check. This process took slightly longer than would be normal, but had the effect of creating social distancing as people walked down the airbridge on to the plane.

On entering the aircraft I was handed a personal protection pack containing antiseptic wipes and hand sanitiser. These were in a sealable bag which could then be used to dispose of the used products or an old face mask.

Club Europe had four rows, with 14 of the 16 seats occupied. Club has the same seats as the rest of the plane, it’s just that the middle seat isn’t used and therefore gives more social distance. The overhead bins in Business had been closed during boarding to reserve the space for those seated in the cabin. Boarding late was a nice experience and meant you weren’t seated for ages awaiting departure.

There was no pre-flight drinks service. However the plane did push back fairly soon after boarding was completed. There were the usual safety film and announcements as we taxied. Then further Covid related information: don’t queue in the aisle for the bathrooms, wait until the green light shows it is vacant; if you fall ill, press your call bell and raise your hand; and try not to move about unless absolutely required.

The taxi was short, about five minutes, and we were quickly airborne.

In the air, there were further announcements about limiting movement and about changes to the meal service. There is no food to purchase in Euro Traveller, but a drink and snack would be offered. In Club we were given a lunch box containing either a ham and cheese croissant or a cheese croissant. It also contained a small fruit salad and a yoghurt. Hot and cold drinks and alcohol were available. All of the drinks were serviced in disposable cups. The meal service was pretty good.

The crew member was very attentive, checking if I wanted more drinks a couple of times. It was a bit odd with everyone wearing face masks. But the crew member handled this very well by starting conversations by saying to let her know if you needed her to speak up. This had the effect of anyone speaking slightly louder than normal to be heard through the masks.

I did get up once to use the bathroom. This is where my only criticism comes. The sink was not clearing and retained a lot of water. I know this can be common on aircraft, but in a post-lockdown world it is far from ideal.

Back to the cabin, and the crew member handed out immigration forms for Spain. I mentioned earlier the email from BA about this process, where I had be prompted to file in an online form. Off the back of that I was emailed a QR code to present on arrival, which I had duly printed off and brought with me. Several other passengers had done the same, and we questioned whether we also need to fill in the form we had just been handed. The crew member checked with the pilot and came back to say if we had the QR code we didn’t need to complete the form.

The rest of the short flight was uneventful. As we started the decent, there was an announcement about the disembarkation process. Everyone was asked to remain seated until their row was called forward, with rows at the front getting off first.

We landed in glorious sunshine and after a short taxi were at the gate. The airbridge was attached within minutes and then Club passengers, rows 1 to 4, were invited to get out of their seats and depart whilst maintaining social distance. That doesn’t really happen in the aisle of an aircraft, but as people stepped onto the airbridge they soon started to fan out.

On to immigration and the first stage was the standard passport check at an e-gate. My passport didn’t work, so I hand to see an officer. It was then only to the baggage hall, where there was a second check. Everyone showed their QR codes only to be told that the machine wasn’t working and that we needed to complete the paper forms. So everyone huddled around the few seats that were available to fill in their forms. These then had to be handed to an official as you walked towards a temperature check. At this stage the unscanned QR code printouts were also being collected.

From there it was a short walk to the baggage carousel, where within two minutes bags started to appear. Mine was second off.

Final on to Customs and through to a deserted terminal. Only passengers were allowed inside, so further back there was a modest crowd of meeter/greeters.

All in all, a very good flight. Some entertainment from the less than clear immigration process, but nothing to cause any concern. At both airports, and on the plane, everyone appeared to behave well, trying to maintain social distance as far as they could, and always wearing face masks. Certainly air travel around Europe can work in under these conditions, and I will be looking for further getaways over the Summer.

There’s a video of my experience over on YouTube.
#956581 by Murraymint
11 Jul 2020, 11:28
Thank you for this excellent TR and video which gives us a real insight into flying rights now. I agree that it doesn’t look too bad at the moment although it remains to be seen if it stays that way as airports and aircraft get busier. I’m already looking forward to getting back in the air.
#956591 by ColOrd
13 Jul 2020, 10:47
Hey thanks for this great TR and video! Very informative, I've got some Club Europe flights end of August to Berlin and although I'm excited to fly again, I'm a little nervous, and this really helped!

Although I use BA fairly frequently, there is some of the things they do, and their general Corporate stance, particularly with their colleagues during the last few months that I find abhorrent, I must state that they have done a really good job with their restart. The way the lounges have been reintroduced looks good, it seems to work well, and if anything is a better level of service than we had before. On board, the meals look pretty good considering the current state of affairs, although the moniker "Enjoy Your Menu" which seems to be emblazoned does seem a little daft, I ain't gonna eat the menu itself!

Have you got your first VS Flight booked post lock down too?!
#956599 by woralla
13 Jul 2020, 14:50
ColOrd wrote:Have you got your first VS Flight booked post lock down too?!

Nothing booked as yet, but I need a VS trip soon! I’m normally onboard every month or so, so a four month hiatus has felt a very long time between trips! I will definitely pack the GoPro and film everything when a flight does happen.
#956601 by buns
13 Jul 2020, 15:54
Worrella

Apologies for being late to the party here.

Thank you for both an excellent TR and a very informative YouTube Vlog - I personally know of V Flyers who are due to travel BA CE in the very near future who were particularly grateful for your detailed briefing

buns
#956607 by VS075
14 Jul 2020, 08:44
Thanks for the TR.

David1946 wrote:Thanks for the info and video. Not sure I'm in a rush to fly and sitting on a plane for 8-10 hours on a long haul when you would probably be discouraged from moving about the cabin would be very different.

Yes, it's a big change of messaging from years gone by when people are actively encouraged to move about the plane periodically to avoid DVT, especially on longer flights. I hope this doesn't lead to an increase in people suffering from DVT.
Virgin Atlantic