#933610 by mitchja
19 Mar 2017, 23:11
Not sure if anyone uses one of these or not but I can recommend it. Full details can be found here

It's basically a currency card , but instead of having to keep topping it up before you travel, it links directly to any UK issued VISA or MasterCard (either debit or credit cards).

It comes with zero currency conversion fees. The only fee it comes with is an ATM usage fee.

You can link multiple cards to the same SuperCard account. It can be used almost everywhere though the maximum transaction amount is £5000 and of course is dependant on your linked card credit limit or account balance.

I've found that one thing it is great for, is buying things online that are in a different currency. There are again no currency conversion fees using it this way.

For example, I've just booked a flight at Delta.com using mine (because Delta.com was the cheapest) so the transaction was in US$. Using my SuperCard has saved me £7.55 on that transaction as there's no currency conversion fee.

It links to an app where you can see your running totals and all transactions. I've got 7 transactions on mine up to now which has saved me nearly £29 in fees so far!! From the app you can also add, remove and set which payment card to use if you have more than one.

The only minor issue is that you cannot link any AmEx card to it unfortunately. Also you cannot change it's PIN number .
#933613 by Vegascrazy
20 Mar 2017, 09:01
Another good one if you like to earn Avios is the Lloyds Avios Amex/MasterCard. No foreign transaction fees and earn Avios every time you spend. Low £24 annual fee.
#933614 by Las56
20 Mar 2017, 09:18
We use the Halifax X clarity MasterCard no commission on purchases abroad.
No annual fee
Weekend rate for Travelex Supercard for £1 - $1.202.10
Halifax X MasterCard for £1- $1.241.29
#933616 by mallin
20 Mar 2017, 11:33
I have also got the Lloyds Amex card and with two USA trips planned for this year it will save me well over the annual fee plus earn the Avios, Plus if you put over £7,000 on it you get a one class upgrade up to business either for one return or two single. Everyone to their own way of earning miles and funding, plus only take a little cash for tips. You also get the banks exchange rate not the tourist so a few less cents to pay. Linda
#933628 by Eggtastico
20 Mar 2017, 13:42
you could used to change the pin.
One word of warning, the cards sometimes takes a long time to process.
I had issues in the states where it would not work at every petrol station & also had an issue paying for a meal.

Used to love it in trial mode, as ATM use did not count as ATM use, so you could withdraw money on your credit card & collect miles.
#933641 by Hamster
20 Mar 2017, 17:21
I recommend it too, links into my old BMI cards (now cash back cards).

Just to clarify, the Travelex Supercard isn't a credit card, nor does it store money.

Las56 wrote:We use the Halifax X clarity MasterCard no commission on purchases abroad.
No annual fee

Interesting? How did you get these rates? The exchange rate is set by MasterCard on both cards, so theoretically both should be exactly the same?
#933648 by catsilversword
20 Mar 2017, 22:05
Hamster wrote:I recommend it too, links into my old BMI cards (now cash back cards).

Just to clarify, the Travelex Supercard isn't a credit card, nor does it store money.

Las56 wrote:We use the Halifax X clarity MasterCard no commission on purchases abroad.
No annual fee

Interesting? How did you get these rates? The exchange rate is set by MasterCard on both cards, so theoretically both should be exactly the same?

I don't know the nuts and bolts of how the Halifax Clarity card works, but apparently it does offer near perfect exchange rates (as per Martin Lewis' site). We've just got one, partly for that reason and partly because, as already said, it doesn't add fees for foreign currency transactions.
#933661 by Las56
21 Mar 2017, 09:07
Hamster wrote:I recommend it too, links into my old BMI cards (now cash back cards).

No annual fee

To get the exchange rate for the Halifax X it is updated everyday on the Martin Lewis website under "Travel & Motoring " then next on dropdown menu "compare travel cash" select the currency you want $ put in how much $1000 say then it will give you rates for cards also for Post Office ect.

For Travelex go on their website for Supercard rates.
#933679 by Hamster
21 Mar 2017, 18:27
Las56 wrote:To get the exchange rate for the Halifax X it is updated everyday on the Martin Lewis website under "Travel & Motoring " then next on dropdown menu "compare travel cash" select the currency you want $ put in how much $1000 say then it will give you rates for cards also for Post Office ect.

For Travelex go on their website for Supercard rates.

Ah, well must be incorrect data somewhere then, reading through the conditions they both use the MasterCard spot rate so both are exactly the same rate, and both don't charge fees - so difference is one is a credit card, the other isn't.
#933686 by mitchja
21 Mar 2017, 20:11
The rate I got for my Delta US$ online purchase on Sunday was 1.2362 with the SuperCard, which was the market average rate that day.
Virgin Atlantic