#940702 by dickydotcom
11 Jan 2018, 14:08
I have used Alamo for the last few years, but on checking this morning they seem to be double the price of some other companies.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a car hire company at MCO.
We will be after a mid sized SUV. and would like CDW etc included in the price.

Dick D
#940703 by mdhayes
11 Jan 2018, 16:36
we recently booked though avis for MCO, using the british airways executive club link we got a free additional driver and the price was cheaper than anything else I could find inclined CDW.
#940704 by dickydotcom
11 Jan 2018, 16:56
mdhayes wrote:we recently booked though avis for MCO, using the british airways executive club link we got a free additional driver and the price was cheaper than anything else I could find inclined CDW.

Thanks for the reply.
I tried getting a quote through Flying Club, but it won't let me do the 30 days I need. 27 max.

Dick D
#940705 by Hev60
11 Jan 2018, 16:58
DickD We always use Dollar and have never been dissatisfied. Two years ago from MCO, they were much much cheaper than Aamo, all inclusive (not with fuel as thats a con) and we had a whole row of vehicles to choose from once we got given keys. My partner is Dollar Express member and has been for 20+ years.

For June '18, We've priced out Alamo via VS site, direct and thru Alamo Brits and prices are very high this year.

We opted for Hertz purely and simply coz we can pick our cars up from our Universal hotel after an active four-day stay there !!!! Did consider getting taxi from there to a Dollar location but we've bagged a good % with Hertz.

Finally I personally think the low $ exchange rate is the reason we Brits are seeing increases.

Happy hunting!
#940707 by Traveller2
11 Jan 2018, 17:01
This might sound crazy but are you looking at the Alamo site directly? I always book with Alamo but go through the Virgin Atlantic website and it always works out cheaper. You could also have a look at AlamoBrits.
#940708 by dickydotcom
11 Jan 2018, 17:22
Hev60 wrote:DickD We always use Dollar and have never been dissatisfied. Two years ago from MCO, they were much much cheaper than Aamo, all inclusive (not with fuel as thats a con) and we had a whole row of vehicles to choose from once we got given keys. My partner is Dollar Express member and has been for 20+ years.

For June '18, We've priced out Alamo via VS site, direct and thru Alamo Brits and prices are very high this year.

We opted for Hertz purely and simply coz we can pick our cars up from our Universal hotel after an active four-day stay there !!!! Did consider getting taxi from there to a Dollar location but we've bagged a good % with Hertz.

Finally I personally think the low $ exchange rate is the reason we Brits are seeing increases.

Happy hunting!

Thanks. I'll check out Dollar. Have already looked at Hertz but thought they were a bit pricey too
Dick D
#940709 by dickydotcom
11 Jan 2018, 17:24
Traveller2 wrote:This might sound crazy but are you looking at the Alamo site directly? I always book with Alamo but go through the Virgin Atlantic website and it always works out cheaper. You could also have a look at AlamoBrits.

I've looked at both the Alamo site and via Virgin.
At the moment Sixt are looking pretty good for an intermediate SUV at under £900 compared with £1700 from Alamo.

Dick D
#940719 by AlecK
11 Jan 2018, 20:54
I use Hertz at MCO and use CDP 591064 or 211762 to get a good rate. Both are Amex discounts and are never questioned.
#940722 by Hev60
11 Jan 2018, 23:36
AlecK wrote: I use Hertz at MCO and use CDP 591064 or 211762 to get a good rate. Both are Amex discounts and are never questioned.

:D :D wow AlecK that information re % codes totally was brilliant. Thank you so much.

I put the code onto reservation page and immediately got £78 off the car rental quote I had saved from Hertz as gold card member ;-)

My son in law is also renting a mini van and he has saved £102 against the normal members discount quote. We’re picking the vehicles up from Royal Pacific Hotel at Universal so the discount was applied even off site from MCO.

We have arranged our car hire with Hertz a few minutes ago. Hope those rates work for you DickD too :-)

Thanks again AlecK
#940723 by catsilversword
12 Jan 2018, 10:03
We've used both Dollar and Avis - and have had car breakdowns with both! I'd say that probably Avis had the better customer service - though that isn't saying too much. The last car hire we had with Avis, the car had to be replaced and they then charged us twice for the transponder - and despite chasing and querying this, they haven't even responded to our query!

Like a lot of you have found, car hire this year seems to have gone berserk, for not apparent reason. We found the cheapest was renting through the BA executive club - as others have found.
Virgin Atlantic