This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#960538 by catsilversword
05 Dec 2022, 19:34
Am I right in thinking the UScarhire app is the best to use for renting a car in Houston? Thought I saw it mentioned here, but that was before the server went down and now I can’t be sure if I’m remembering correctly. Anyone please?
#960542 by plane340
06 Dec 2022, 09:49
Also try QEEQ
Always have good rates like US Car Hire. Also remember that US car hire is cheaper using their app rather than website.
Good luck.
#960546 by catsilversword
06 Dec 2022, 18:36
plane340 wrote:Also try QEEQ
Always have good rates like US Car Hire. Also remember that US car hire is cheaper using their app rather than website.
Good luck.

Thank you - I had remembered using an app seems to show better rates.
#960547 by Kraken
06 Dec 2022, 19:07
If you're a member, try Costco car hire (on the Costco Travel section of their website). I've found them to be very good for USA car hire in the past. For Europe car hire it's a bit more hit & miss, they are either brilliant on price or just won't quote full stop.
#960574 by catsilversword
11 Dec 2022, 16:17
Kraken wrote:If you're a member, try Costco car hire (on the Costco Travel section of their website). I've found them to be very good for USA car hire in the past. For Europe car hire it's a bit more hit & miss, they are either brilliant on price or just won't quote full stop.

Thanks, yes, am a Costco member, will include them in my search!
#960575 by mikethe3rd
11 Dec 2022, 17:45
Whatever you book, make sure you have free cancellation. I just had a look at IAH for next week and an entry level car is £260. For a week next year they start at £400+. I’ve just tried a few other airports and it certainly seems it’s cheaper to book closer to your departure date. It goes without saying, have a backup booked.

Also, depending on your routing, I’d also look at flying with JSX. Closest to private you’ll get at a very reasonable rate. They use private terminals and you just have to show up 10 mins before departure. We hit the major cities in TX earlier this year and the drive was far from inspiring.
#960596 by catsilversword
15 Dec 2022, 15:02
Thanks Mike. I hadn’t done the free cancellation before our last trip across the water, but saved loads! Been looking at the usa car app, and prices do seem to be coming down, as well as currently being the cheapest I can find, and looks like they have free cancellation. Feel the need to book sooner rather than later…
#960597 by HappyDays
15 Dec 2022, 15:29
Just to say re. US Car Hire App - you'll be paying in $, so to get an accurate price, set the currency to $ as you're never quite sure what exchange rate they're using and then factor in if the card that you're likely going to put this on, charges for $ transactions. I've booked and paid in full, only to cancel and never had any issues.
#960598 by catsilversword
15 Dec 2022, 18:14
HappyDays wrote:Just to say re. US Car Hire App - you'll be paying in $, so to get an accurate price, set the currency to $ as you're never quite sure what exchange rate they're using and then factor in if the card that you're likely going to put this on, charges for $ transactions. I've booked and paid in full, only to cancel and never had any issues.

Thanks - yes, I see they charge in USD. Do have a card that doesn’t add on transaction fees, thank goodness - and it’s good to hear of someone who’s used them and cancelled with no issues.
Virgin Atlantic