This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#960529 by mattyp
12 Apr 2021, 19:57
Hev60 wrote:
ColOrd wrote:Guys let's not get into a bun fight please.


Agree ;-)



I think the frustration that seems apparent here (which I share) is that there is far to much talk about aircraft movements, aircraft types, aircraft names, aircraft positioning etc etc etc which seem to be finding their way into every blinking thread!

Anyway, buns are away. ;-)
#960531 by smithy37
13 Apr 2021, 08:34
747G-VXLG wrote:Some more updates:

~ I’ve also noticed that the VS91 flights from LHR-MCO seem to have been changed to A333s. All MCO flights are now A330.

~ The A332s appear to be returning to service but only for one daily LHR-MCO and 3-5 weekly MAN-MCO flights (some VS75 flights only).


This has affected my flight to MCO from LHR in August. It’s now changed from a Dreamliner to an A330-300 and they have re-positioned us all in obscure places within the UC cabin. I’m travelling with children too, so have had to move us all back to pretty much where we were to start with.

Having said that; re-scheduling times & aircraft changes have got to be a good thing, right?
Surely you wouldn’t be expending effort & resources into doing this if you thought your fleet would still be grounded.

Hope springs eternal.
Or is it:
It’s the hope that kills you.

Take your pick. :blush:
#960532 by ColOrd
13 Apr 2021, 08:55
I think they are planning on getting going again and I would have thought August should be okay, but the biggest barrier right now remains the US allowing us in directly from the UK!
#960534 by Fuzzy14
13 Apr 2021, 11:06
David wrote:
LREDI wrote:Just to add to this convo. If you’re vaccinated in Scotland NHS Scotland doesn’t interlink with any English NHS App and not everyone gets a vaccination card (depends on channel of vaccination) so should be interesting to see how it’s all verified.


Without getting into politics, why does this not surprise me :roll: :roll:


It's not politics, it's NHS Scotland is a totally separate legal entity from NHS England always has been since 1948. If I get medical treatment in England, behind the scenes the bill for my treatment is sent back north.

I had in my head 12 April as the day for some big announcement for the future of travel but nothing really happened or is it because it was slowly leaked over the proceeding weeks? My position is I've got a long time booked flight on 24 June to MCO and we'd prefer if it was cancelled for us so we can get deposits back and re-arrange for another time. But the earlier it gets cancelled for us the better.
#960535 by ColOrd
13 Apr 2021, 11:11
No the announcement for the Travel Task Force was meant to be the 12th, but they brought it forward a week to the 5th, so its all the stuff that came out last week about traffic light systems and what level of testing, isolation, hotel isolation each level would need will be.

With all of the flexibility at the moment, why won't they allow you to cancel it now and re-arrange? I've changed multiple bookings sometimes twice. I've got a reference number with VHols that was a trip to Barbados in Sept 20 then a trip to New York in April 21 and now a trip LA & Vegas in Christmas 21, all done without penalty and at the time of the changes there had been no cancellation of the flights?
#960536 by Kraken
13 Apr 2021, 11:29
ColOrd wrote:With all of the flexibility at the moment, why won't they allow you to cancel it now and re-arrange? I've changed multiple bookings sometimes twice. I've got a reference number with VHols that was a trip to Barbados in Sept 20 then a trip to New York in April 21 and now a trip LA & Vegas in Christmas 21, all done without penalty and at the time of the changes there had been no cancellation of the flights?


If the trips you re-arranged were all Virgin Holidays bookings, remember they are a totally separate company to Virgin Atlantic. As such, they may have a very different cancellation / amendment policy [so they can hold onto your deposit money!]

Virgin Atlantic, as it's been well documented, tend to cancel flights at about the T-4 week mark, which is when you become eligible for a rebook, voucher or refund.

The obvious biggy for flights to the USA is that 99% of Brits are not permitted to enter the USA on a direct flight until President Biden changes the rules - and even then it may only be to the select few airports on the list. Given that MCO is not currently on the said list it could screw up a lot of Brits summer holiday plans.
#960537 by Cat_H
13 Apr 2021, 11:41
ColOrd wrote:No the announcement for the Travel Task Force was meant to be the 12th, but they brought it forward a week to the 5th, so its all the stuff that came out last week about traffic light systems and what level of testing, isolation, hotel isolation each level would need will be.


Yes, and the last I heard was that they would be letting us know about international travel in "early May". Love that they managed to not have to hold themselves to a specific date >-(

There has been speculation as to which countries would be on which list (red, amber, green). They also mentioned that they would have a "watch list" so countries that are at risk of moving into the next colour would be on it so that you are aware of the risk of potentially having to stay in a hotel when you get home.
#960540 by VS075
13 Apr 2021, 13:30
Cat_H wrote:
ColOrd wrote:No the announcement for the Travel Task Force was meant to be the 12th, but they brought it forward a week to the 5th, so its all the stuff that came out last week about traffic light systems and what level of testing, isolation, hotel isolation each level would need will be.


Yes, and the last I heard was that they would be letting us know about international travel in "early May". Love that they managed to not have to hold themselves to a specific date >-(

There has been speculation as to which countries would be on which list (red, amber, green). They also mentioned that they would have a "watch list" so countries that are at risk of moving into the next colour would be on it so that you are aware of the risk of potentially having to stay in a hotel when you get home.


I'd avoid speculation about what countries go on to what list until it's announced. What could be a candidate for green now could be different in a few weeks from now (and vice versa). The list will also be subject to change once it goes live.

Fuzzy14 wrote:I had in my head 12 April as the day for some big announcement for the future of travel but nothing really happened or is it because it was slowly leaked over the proceeding weeks? My position is I've got a long time booked flight on 24 June to MCO and we'd prefer if it was cancelled for us so we can get deposits back and re-arrange for another time. But the earlier it gets cancelled for us the better.


If you're set on not going, it might be worth contacting VS, VH or whoever you're booked with to see what they can do for you now without having to wait for them to formally cancel it.

If I was in your shoes, I'd be wanting it cancelled sooner rather than later too. Last year, I knew for a few months a trip we wanted to make wouldn't happen due to a combination of how things were going and deciding we would rather give it a miss, but due to the well-documented backlog at the time we had to wait until they contacted us. And yes it took a further few months to get our money back.
#960541 by 747G-VXLG
13 Apr 2021, 14:08
smithy37 wrote:
747G-VXLG wrote:Some more updates:

~ I’ve also noticed that the VS91 flights from LHR-MCO seem to have been changed to A333s. All MCO flights are now A330.

~ The A332s appear to be returning to service but only for one daily LHR-MCO and 3-5 weekly MAN-MCO flights (some VS75 flights only).


This has affected my flight to MCO from LHR in August. It’s now changed from a Dreamliner to an A330-300 and they have re-positioned us all in obscure places within the UC cabin. I’m travelling with children too, so have had to move us all back to pretty much where we were to start with.

Having said that; re-scheduling times & aircraft changes have got to be a good thing, right?
Surely you wouldn’t be expending effort & resources into doing this if you thought your fleet would still be grounded.

Hope springs eternal.
Or is it:
It’s the hope that kills you.

Take your pick. :blush:


They always seem to do random seat assignments when they change the aircrafts. I don’t know why as the 789s are quite similar in UC to the A333s.
My opinion is that the aircrafts will change again if the flight go ahead. Currently they have got the largest capacity aircraft (A350s) flying to places on the red list whilst the A330-300s (lowest capacity aircraft in the fleet) are doing all the leisure routes.
My advice would be to keep checking your flights because they will probably change again.
#960542 by Cat_H
13 Apr 2021, 14:18
VS075 wrote:
Cat_H wrote:
ColOrd wrote:No the announcement for the Travel Task Force was meant to be the 12th, but they brought it forward a week to the 5th, so its all the stuff that came out last week about traffic light systems and what level of testing, isolation, hotel isolation each level would need will be.


Yes, and the last I heard was that they would be letting us know about international travel in "early May". Love that they managed to not have to hold themselves to a specific date >-(

There has been speculation as to which countries would be on which list (red, amber, green). They also mentioned that they would have a "watch list" so countries that are at risk of moving into the next colour would be on it so that you are aware of the risk of potentially having to stay in a hotel when you get home.


I'd avoid speculation about what countries go on to what list until it's announced. What could be a candidate for green now could be different in a few weeks from now (and vice versa). The list will also be subject to change once it goes live.


Oh definitely, I was just sharing that I had seen that there had been speculation (amongst other information floating around) however, as you note, it would be silly to take any notice of that right now as there are at least 5 weeks until international flights open open!
#960543 by Hev60
13 Apr 2021, 14:42
Fuzzy14 wrote:
I had in my head 12 April as the day for some big announcement for the future of travel but nothing really happened or is it because it was slowly leaked over the proceeding weeks? My position is I've got a long time booked flight on 24 June to MCO and we'd prefer if it was cancelled for us so we can get deposits back and re-arrange for another time. But the earlier it gets cancelled for us the better.


Realistically I doubt whether the US borders will be open by June. There is so much media speculation and hype on predicting dates but Biden is being advised by the CDC. Their website still has the uk as high risk and state “Travelers should avoid all travel to the United Kingdom”. There is also great concern in the US regarding Canada who are experiencing an awful surge in Covid cases. Their vaccination programme lags well behind us.

If Boris did allow international travel from the US into the uk from 17th May, one would hope it would be reciprocal and if not, then our borders to American tourists should remain closed until an amicable travel agreement can be reached between our two countries.

I can certainly understand why you would prefer your flight to MCO in June to be cancelled, especially after what I wrote last week about the disappointment people are experiencing with all the theme parks rules and restrictions.
Can you not contact VS and request a change of dates? I know they won’t offer a refund at the point coz the flight is still showing as ‘operating’. Frustrating situation for you.
#960544 by flyingfox
13 Apr 2021, 15:05
A friend over on another forum has reached out to VS as there was some speculation on the future of Clubhouses overseas and he received this from VS Press Office;

Please see below some information. To reassure you, our Clubhouses at JFK, SFO, BOS, IAD and JNB will all be reopening once travel resumes at scale.

Unfortunately, the space our Los Angeles Clubhouse occupied at the airport was needed as part of the redevelopment of LAX Terminal 2, and we were asked to return this space to our landlords, Delta. As a result, with great sadness our LAX Clubhouse closed in May 2020. Our partners at Delta Air Lines, are currently renovating the space into a new Delta Sky Club which our Virgin Atlantic Upper Class and Gold Card holders will have access to.
#960545 by ColOrd
13 Apr 2021, 15:25
Yeah the LAX Clubhouse sadly, which only saw 4-5 years of use, I think it opened May 2015 if I remember rightly. Sadly T2 is cramped as it is. I've been to that CH twice now and I visited the DL SC too on the other side, and the DL lounge is badly in need of extra space so whilst it's sad, I can see the point in what they are doing.

I also think that DL want to expand the LAX Lounge offering to be a flagship like Seattle, San Fran, or JFK, in which case if they do, they are solid places to hang, I've been to quite a few SC's and they are nice, but I wouldn't say they are CH standard, but certainly in my opinion better than BA Galleries. (I'm sure others have done more but I've ticked off LAX, SFO, SEA, BOS (Both) JFK T2 and T4 and ATL over the years and the LAX one was the poorest of them!)
#960547 by nicsbx
13 Apr 2021, 18:28
Kraken wrote: The obvious biggy for flights to the USA is that 99% of Brits are not permitted to enter the USA on a direct flight until President Biden changes the rules - and even then it may only be to the select few airports on the list. Given that MCO is not currently on the said list it could screw up a lot of Brits summer holiday plans.

I was under the impression that the requirement to fly into specific airports was suspended a while ago when they determined they were better off focusing on testing pre-departure rather than screening on arrival.
#960548 by Hurricane86
13 Apr 2021, 20:12
nicsbx wrote:
Kraken wrote: The obvious biggy for flights to the USA is that 99% of Brits are not permitted to enter the USA on a direct flight until President Biden changes the rules - and even then it may only be to the select few airports on the list. Given that MCO is not currently on the said list it could screw up a lot of Brits summer holiday plans.

I was under the impression that the requirement to fly into specific airports was suspended a while ago when they determined they were better off focusing on testing pre-departure rather than screening on arrival.


This is correct. 'Gateway airports', as they were termed, were scrapped some months ago.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020 ... ngers.html
#960570 by pidgeofcdf
15 Apr 2021, 22:27
smithy37 wrote:
747G-VXLG wrote:Some more updates:

~ I’ve also noticed that the VS91 flights from LHR-MCO seem to have been changed to A333s. All MCO flights are now A330.

~ The A332s appear to be returning to service but only for one daily LHR-MCO and 3-5 weekly MAN-MCO flights (some VS75 flights only).


This has affected my flight to MCO from LHR in August. It’s now changed from a Dreamliner to an A330-300 and they have re-positioned us all in obscure places within the UC cabin. I’m travelling with children too, so have had to move us all back to pretty much where we were to start with.

Having said that; re-scheduling times & aircraft changes have got to be a good thing, right?
Surely you wouldn’t be expending effort & resources into doing this if you thought your fleet would still be grounded.

Hope springs eternal.
Or is it:
It’s the hope that kills you.

Take your pick. :blush:

just seen our flight (also to mco) in september has changed to a330 :( specifically booked the dreamliner flight for our first UC experience. (flew LAS premium 787 and loved it)
they have given us the same seat numbers however.
After the last year I suppose i should just be grateful if we actually get to fly and not complain about the aircraft.
#960571 by 747G-VXLG
15 Apr 2021, 22:42
pidgeofcdf wrote:
smithy37 wrote:
747G-VXLG wrote:Some more updates:

~ I’ve also noticed that the VS91 flights from LHR-MCO seem to have been changed to A333s. All MCO flights are now A330.

~ The A332s appear to be returning to service but only for one daily LHR-MCO and 3-5 weekly MAN-MCO flights (some VS75 flights only).


This has affected my flight to MCO from LHR in August. It’s now changed from a Dreamliner to an A330-300 and they have re-positioned us all in obscure places within the UC cabin. I’m travelling with children too, so have had to move us all back to pretty much where we were to start with.

Having said that; re-scheduling times & aircraft changes have got to be a good thing, right?
Surely you wouldn’t be expending effort & resources into doing this if you thought your fleet would still be grounded.

Hope springs eternal.
Or is it:
It’s the hope that kills you.

Take your pick. :blush:

just seen our flight (also to mco) in september has changed to a330 :( specifically booked the dreamliner flight for our first UC experience. (flew LAS premium 787 and loved it)
they have given us the same seat numbers however.
After the last year I suppose i should just be grateful if we actually get to fly and not complain about the aircraft.


There isn’t really much difference in the A333 to 789 upper only the different bar layouts and the 789s obviously have bigger windows so you should still have a good experience!
#960574 by ColOrd
15 Apr 2021, 23:18
Agreed, I actually prefer the 330 over the 787. Its the same seat in Upper as the 787 with the same IFE. The bar layout on the 330 is better as its a little more removed from the cabin so you can enjoy yourself at the bar without disturbing others.

As noted, the only difference really between the two is the windows and the size of the overhead bins I suppose if we are being picky, but that's not really an issue in Upper.
#960602 by gumshoe
19 Apr 2021, 12:05
Hard to see how India can stay off the red list much longer, especially now Boris has cancelled his trip.

Poor old VS - that would be two more routes gone, probably for several months, on top of Pakistan & South Africa. They badly need the US to reopen this summer but I’m not convinced that’s imminent. Sadly, long haul travel still looks very uncertain.
Virgin Atlantic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LREDI and 7 guests

Itinerary Calendar