This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#960651 by G-VROY
23 Apr 2021, 01:12
Tigerlilly wrote:
pidgeofcdf wrote:he said all planes so by that i take it as all routes. i think they will operate limited routes/capacity until then.
i’m very hopeful we will get our corridor to usa but that’s only my honest opinion. your obviously more in the loop.
i’ve only had one trip cancelled (last september) and was very fortunate to go to las vegas in feb last year before covid fully spread.
hoping you get to go end of August and I get my MCO trip in September :)

Until it’s official from the whitehouse I’m just sitting tight and chewing my nails lol. I’ve had two zoom events recently, one with the delta ceo snd one with Paul Charles who helped design the traffic light system last year. Both were very positive for a usa-U.K. travel corridor by June/July . Fingers crossed that’s the case. Really hope you get your Florida trip. I should be there right now lol. But, in a twist of fate, the day we should have flown my adjoining neighbour had a huge house fire and weren’t home. If we’d have been on our flight we wouldn’t have a home left when we got back. Thankfully we detected the fire before we sustained too much damage to our home and stopped it totally ruining theirs. Xx

I'm very sorry to hear of the fire that yourself and the neighbor have suffered. I hope there wasn't too much damage and everyone is safe. Some things are more important than immediate travel, although I think we will all be happy when it arrives.

Do take care.

G-VROY
#960654 by Hev60
23 Apr 2021, 10:47
747G-VXLG wrote:
Hev60 wrote:
Being posted by Gumshoe I would be assured it a genuine source and not some rubbish speculation!

What is your problem? There is no need to be unpleasant to me constantly!

Oh goodness. I am absolutely surprised you interpreted any discord with what I wrote. This was certainly not intended.

On social media platforms, in the press, on tv etc etc there is far too much guesswork and rumour about international travel. The sources of this ‘information’ is mostly unreliable with no firm evidence or fact to back it up. In my opinion it is very unhelpful and speculative rubbish, mainly because it gives people false hope.

I actually didn’t read the post saying ‘the source’ in this case could have come from Twitter. Omg, in that case I might need to retract my confident assurance about the original post being genuine ;-)
#960661 by EmmaPeel007
24 Apr 2021, 14:34
Biden will be heading over to the UK for the G7 in June. It think this is a sign that things may be opening up between the US and UK by then. COVID -19 optics are super important to this administration. He wouldn't be travelling if they didn't think it was safe.

Fingers crossed this means we can keep our trip to London in September.
#960662 by Kraken
24 Apr 2021, 21:54
EmmaPeel007 wrote:Biden will be heading over to the UK for the G7 in June. It think this is a sign that things may be opening up between the US and UK by then. COVID -19 optics are super important to this administration. He wouldn't be travelling if they didn't think it was safe.

I don't think President Biden visiting for the G7 summit is a fair representation of views on a possible US-UK travel corridor. The G7 summit hotel will have been industrially sanitised before any Word Leader sets foot in it. Security levels will be sky-high and President Biden will doubtless travel on Air Force One & then his airtight "Beast" car to the hotel. Hardly a typical international travel experience!
#960664 by Hev60
24 Apr 2021, 22:38
President Biden has just extended the closure of the land borders between the US and Canada again for at least another month (happened on 21/4). The US are certainly in no hurry to open their borders and I very much doubt this will happen any time soon.
#960669 by EmmaPeel007
25 Apr 2021, 15:15
Kraken wrote:
EmmaPeel007 wrote:Biden will be heading over to the UK for the G7 in June. It think this is a sign that things may be opening up between the US and UK by then. COVID -19 optics are super important to this administration. He wouldn't be travelling if they didn't think it was safe.

I don't think President Biden visiting for the G7 summit is a fair representation of views on a possible US-UK travel corridor. The G7 summit hotel will have been industrially sanitised before any Word Leader sets foot in it. Security levels will be sky-high and President Biden will doubtless travel on Air Force One & then his airtight "Beast" car to the hotel. Hardly a typical international travel experience!

Agree that his travel experience is completely different than what the Average Joe (pun intended) goes through. However, he's seen what's happened when a proponent of masking and lockdowns and vaccines have flouted the recommendations - they get eaten alive. I do think he would stick to Zoom calls in SCIFs instead of going in-person just to send the right message to the public. I don't think he would chance it if international travel was still locked down for most of the US.

With the UK move to Level 4 for the US the day after he announced his trip he might change his travel plans if they don't move to Level 2 or 3 by June 4th. That said, it's a good 6 weeks to see new infection numbers drop and vaccinations go up. I'll be cautiously optimistic.
#960671 by Fuzzy14
25 Apr 2021, 22:11
Sorry been offline for a bit, may I thank ColOrd, Kraken, Cat_H, VS075, Hev60 for your kind replies.
To clarify, not worried about my flights in the slightest as booked via VH with free cancellation/move (the downside is I got this year lovely and cheap and 2022 prices look horrific).
The issue is villa I've rented and theme park tickets. I don't want to leave the villa guy out of pocket and the small print for the theme park tickets is "FCO do not travel' which worries me as we could be in a situation where travel is allowed but I have to pay for a hotel (not doing that) or there's different rules for Scotland and England where I'd have to isolate in a hotel in London for 14 days before I can return to Scotland! I have contacted the vendor for clarification.
The bottom line is I don't think we'll be going, I don't think we really want to go anyway, I'm just trying to work out our liability and it's a bit annoying as we booked last year to try and support some of these companies and it's potentially ended up costing us.
#960672 by Hev60
25 Apr 2021, 23:13
I really feel for you Fuzzy as you’ve got so much hanging in the balance.

I was listening to Nicola S on tv last week and she clearly is not going to be influenced by any arrangements which the English government might make regarding travel after May 17th ! Like you say, you certainly do want to stay isolating before being allowed to cross back into Scotland. I honestly believe it won’t be an issue though because only last week the the US State Department (CDC) issued a new travel warning advising US citizens not to travel to the uk due to COVID-19. Apparently this Level 4 is the highest travel advisory they have. So giving out warnings like that, leads me to think they don’t want uk tourists yet.

Did you also see I pointed out how the Disney theme parks are operating very differently at present. No shows, no fireworks, no parades .. all equals no fun! Also a theme park ticket has to be linked to a precise admission day/time for each park. I agree with you about Florida airfares on VH for 2022, eye-wateringly high.

Hope you get some reassurance soon. Hev
#960673 by David
26 Apr 2021, 09:07
Fuzzy14 wrote:The issue is villa I've rented and theme park tickets. I don't want to leave the villa guy out of pocket and the small print for the theme park tickets is "FCO do not travel' which worries me as we could be in a situation where travel is allowed but I have to pay for a hotel (not doing that) or there's different rules for Scotland and England where I'd have to isolate in a hotel in London for 14 days before I can return to Scotland! I have contacted the vendor for clarification.
The bottom line is I don't think we'll be going, I don't think we really want to go anyway, I'm just trying to work out our liability and it's a bit annoying as we booked last year to try and support some of these companies and it's potentially ended up costing us.

Hi Fuzzy

We are in a little bit of the same situation albeit just with flights - the accommodation is DVC, which at the moment looks like plenty of availability for some of the date options available.

Our attitude just now is not really to worry too much about what we might have to do until the US decide to let UK travelers back in. As we have seen since the pandemic started, rules, regs and timings change at the drop of a hat so to try and plan a holiday for months ahead is, in my opinion, impossible.

When there, especially if it is this summer, you have to expect things to be different. Anyone that travels to any mass tourist destinations and expects their experience to be the same as pre March 2020 is, again in my opinion, going to be disappointed. Coming from Scotland, I would be quite happy for some sunshine and a nice pool (as well as a reduction in phone calls and emails ;) ) and if that can be achieved safely this year, we will be going.

Here's hoping we all can get a much needed holiday this year but whether it will be the same as previous ones is unlikely.

One day, some sort of normality is sure to return.

David
#960674 by VS075
26 Apr 2021, 09:18
EmmaPeel007 wrote:With the UK move to Level 4 for the US the day after he announced his trip he might change his travel plans if they don't move to Level 2 or 3 by June 4th. That said, it's a good 6 weeks to see new infection numbers drop and vaccinations go up. I'll be cautiously optimistic.

Politicians and diplomats have still been travelling internationally on government business. That isn't to say they will always do it without question - Boris Johnson cancelled a trip to India recently and within hours was placed on the red list.

I do hope conditions improve sufficiently in time for your trip to go ahead, but I wouldn't read too much into Mr Biden's planned overseas trips.
#960675 by VS075
26 Apr 2021, 09:21
Hev60 wrote:I agree with you about Florida airfares on VH for 2022, eye-wateringly high.

It certainly can't be blamed on the GBP/USD exchange rate. That is currently riding at £1/$1.39 which is one of its highest levels since early-2018. I suspect a variety of factors are at play that's pushing the prices up.
#960678 by gumshoe
26 Apr 2021, 11:47
Wouldn’t surprise me.

Even if the US reopens by the summer, and even if it’s designated green, you only have to read TheDibb to get an idea of how many people have cancelled Florida holidays this year. There’s still far too much uncertainty, particularly when family trips costing several thousand pounds are at stake.
#960679 by moodyblue
26 Apr 2021, 12:27
Hi Fuzzy and David,
In 2019 we had annual passes for both Disney and Universal Orlando. Due to surgery we had to postpone our holiday and the new date was outside the validity of both passes. I contacted both Disney and Universal customer services who were fantastic. At no cost they extended the annual passes by 6 months to cover the period of the new proposed visit. We did go on the new dates and had a great time.
Goes to show how helpful the customer services can be and what a flexible attitude they took. Good luck with your arrangements!
#960681 by Fuzzy14
26 Apr 2021, 15:27
David wrote:When there, especially if it is this summer, you have to expect things to be different. Anyone that travels to any mass tourist destinations and expects their experience to be the same as pre March 2020 is, again in my opinion, going to be disappointed. Coming from Scotland, I would be quite happy for some sunshine and a nice pool (as well as a reduction in phone calls and emails ;) ) and if that can be achieved safely this year, we will be going.

Indeed the thought of sitting about a villa and pool for 2 weeks with no theme parks seems very appealing! Haven't done that before.

For those unaware, the Scottish schools stop the 3rd week of June but English schools 3-4 weeks later middle of July. There may be a late summer miracle for those south of the border.
#960687 by StevieB
27 Apr 2021, 09:41
Tigerlilly wrote:Looks like Virgin have dropped one flight per day from lhr-mco over the summer of 2021 . It was a 3 x daily flight but they seem to have taken the one out that operated the a330-200.

Our flight for 16th June (VS135) still showing as a 332. Checking this every day to see if it's changed. Literally, everything crossed that we will be able to go!
#960689 by Hev60
27 Apr 2021, 19:43
David wrote:https://www.msnbc.com/hallie-jackson/watch/biden-expected-to-announce-updated-guidelines-on-wearing-masks-outdoors-110861381559?cid=sm_npd_ms_tw_ma

MNSBC reporting President Biden to make an announcement re mask wearing outdoors tomorrow possibly relating to vaccinated people

I just watched Pres.Biden short announcement confirming the latest CDC guidance on mask wearing. He outlined how ‘fully-vaccinated people’ can mix outdoors when in small groups without the need for mask wearing listing all the different scenarios. I felt his speech was subtly prompting how being vaccinated is the only way to freedom and away from restrictions.
He made no reference to travel and it seems his goal for what he described as “independent from Covid” sets the day as predictably 4th July.
He didn’t answer any questions from his audience, even as they were shouting out ‘what about all the anti-vac people’
Guess it’s a case of watch this space.
#960690 by Tigerlilly
27 Apr 2021, 20:56
StevieB wrote:
Tigerlilly wrote:Looks like Virgin have dropped one flight per day from lhr-mco over the summer of 2021 . It was a 3 x daily flight but they seem to have taken the one out that operated the a330-200.

Our flight for 16th June (VS135) still showing as a 332. Checking this every day to see if it's changed. Literally, everything crossed that we will be able to go!

Keeping everything crossed for you for that date. If your flight is affected then they should offer you space on one of the other two flights that day xxx
#960691 by Tigerlilly
27 Apr 2021, 20:58
Hev60 wrote:
David wrote:https://www.msnbc.com/hallie-jackson/watch/biden-expected-to-announce-updated-guidelines-on-wearing-masks-outdoors-110861381559?cid=sm_npd_ms_tw_ma

MNSBC reporting President Biden to make an announcement re mask wearing outdoors tomorrow possibly relating to vaccinated people

I just watched Pres.Biden short announcement confirming the latest CDC guidance on mask wearing. He outlined how ‘fully-vaccinated people’ can mix outdoors when in small groups without the need for mask wearing listing all the different scenarios. I felt his speech was subtly prompting how being vaccinated is the only way to freedom and away from restrictions.
He made no reference to travel and it seems his goal for what he described as “independent from Covid” sets the day as predictably 4th July.
He didn’t answer any questions from his audience, even as they were shouting out ‘what about all the anti-vac people’
Guess it’s a case of watch this space.

I’ve just read that grant shapps is using the G7 as an opportunity to get a travel corridor open in June between U.K. and USA . We can only keep everything crossed
#960692 by VS075
28 Apr 2021, 08:53
Grant Shapps was on TV this morning confirming the NHS app (so the one used for appointments, health records, etc., not the regional COVID-19 apps used in different parts of the UK to check-in to venues) will be the UK's COVID-19 vaccine passport and is working with other countries to get their acknowledgement, as well as the usual about the initial traffic light list being published soon: -

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-nhs ... s-12289071
#960696 by Tigerlilly
28 Apr 2021, 13:23
Yes, that’s right. The myGP app already has the Green TickIT function available so once you are fully vaccinated, it shows your current status along with a recent photo of yourself that you’ve uploaded. It very easy and secure. I think it only works once fully vaccinated though for that feature.
Virgin Atlantic