This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#960725 by chrisfinch_2000
02 May 2021, 07:56
Just read an article in The Telegraph from yesterday, saying the government will announce that holidays are back on from 17 May.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/0 ... ht-may-17/

That, coupled with the rumour Terminal 3 is thought to be reopening on 17 May, could mean summer travel is looking good!
https://www.turningleftforless.com/news ... trictions/

Now just fingers crossed I can get to Jamaica on 22nd May! :cool:
#960728 by ColOrd
02 May 2021, 09:34
I’m praying to the Holiday Gods!
#960730 by Cat_H
02 May 2021, 10:00
Yep, it's looking positive I think.

I'm also due to fly to Jamaica but on the 9th of June and I'm feeling more confident that will go ahead.
In addition, Jamaica is now allowing entry from the UK so we're half way there at least!
#960732 by gumshoe
02 May 2021, 12:08
deep_south wrote:We are due to fly to Miami on 21st May, so we are dependent on the US opening their borders by then...

Direct on the VS5?

If so I’m afraid I would expect it to be cancelled, probably exactly 2 weeks prior (as mine was).

As per this thread, the VS5 is only operating with passengers once a week in May, on Thursdays.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=299401&start=625#p960714

Pure speculation on my part, and more than likely totally wrong, but I’m predicting the US will reopen to Brits on or around July 4, with an announcement by Pres Biden during his visit to Cornwall for the G7 and talks with Boris next month.
#960736 by ken54
03 May 2021, 10:43
its OK for the government to say we can go fly again, but most places we want to visit still have quarantine in place, even with a negative test, so i don't think travel will happen again any time soon and if you have to pay for a PCR test before you fly and on your return when it is £120 per person added to your trip
#960737 by tontybear
03 May 2021, 12:46
Ken is absolutely right.

Travel for a holiday is a two way transaction - leaving the UK and entering another country and then the reverse to come home

It’s OK for the government say “fine to travel” and not have any restrictions on isolation or testing when we come home but if you have to quarantine when you get to your destination then it’s not much of a holiday.

Latest I’ve seen for most of the EU is open up in June as long as you’ve had both jabs and your trip starts 14 clear days after the second jab. But not sure what proof they would wa t of that - is the little card they give you going to be OK or something like the NHS medical records screen or something in between?

As to the US people should remember that individual states have their own mask mandates and what you can do restrictions and also that rates of infection and hospitalisation and deaths vary across the country. No good being allowed into the country if no where is open where you want to go!
#960739 by mitchja
03 May 2021, 13:04
I personally can't see for one second airlines allowing just those cards people are getting as proof of vaccination as what's to stop people filling in the bottom half of those cards themselves if (like me) so far you have only had your first jab?

The bottom part of my card is blank and could easily be filed in at any time. I would also imagine it's not difficult to duplicate those cards as they don't appear have any sort of security built into them and are filled in using any type of pen!

As for digital health records in the UK. Good luck with that! I've given up asking my local GP surgery for this now as they simply don't seem to be able to do this. I suspect many other GP surgeries will be the same and simply don't want to digitise people's records.

I would imagine the vast majority of people living in the UK currently don't have access to their medical records digitally. Until everyone's health records are stored centrally on one system, the current mish-mash NHS IT system simply would not be able to deliver digital health records properly.

Wasn't there supposed to be a huge NHS IT overhaul a few years ago which never actually materialised of if it did, it didn't deliver what it was supposed to?

Whilst I've got nothing but total respect for NHS front-line workers, the IT systems they use are extremely poor and out dated in desperate need of investment (pretty much like UK bank IT systems as well!)
#960740 by ken54
03 May 2021, 13:14
If you take Ireland you can travel from Ireland to the UK without and quarantine as it is in our CTA but if you travel say to Dublin from the UK you have to quarantine for 14 days that's very odd as it is in our CTA
#960741 by David
03 May 2021, 13:16
mitchja wrote:The current mish-mash NHS IT system simply would not be able to deliver this.

On top of this, it seems it’s only the NHS - England app that’s able to store any info (if you manage to get it loaded). Don’t know what happens if you stay in Scotland, Wales or N Ireland. The only app NHS Scotland seems to have is a track n trace app and we all know how difficult it seems to be to get these working properly.

Still got my fingers crossed for a way back to international travel though

David
#960742 by GavinJ
03 May 2021, 14:35
Long time lurker here but I am a GP in the NHS in England so hopefully can give some insight into vaccine passports.

General Practice in the UK has been highly computerised for many years and the systems that we have are generally very good. GP surgeries are a bit simpler to digitise than hospitals so we have tended to be ahead. The systems were mostly written by GPs to start off with and they continue to be quite focused. They can be limited because other parts of the NHS are not as advanced and interlinks between systems are very poor indeed.

Vaccinations don't use GP systems but actually do have pretty good reporting. They are based on some of the flu systems from the past so did not re-invent the wheel. A vaccination given one day will appear on the GP system the following afternoon. That is really handy for me co-ordinating invitations etc. This is why you need your NHS number for a vaccination.

Access to these records is a bit of a guddle at the moment. There are three main systems that GPs use and each has its own app. There are also some third party apps and an official NHS app. Exactly what is displayed depends a little on the app and a lot on what the settings are at the practice. Setting up access is a complicated topic but there tends to be a default which can later be manually changed. Annoyingly it is impossible to change the access for everyone, it all has to be done individually.
Whilst there is not a system in place for anyone to accept these for immigration this is simply not a priority.

There are suggestions that the NHS App will be used to display the data in an appropriate format. Whist the back office stuff is likely to make it visible on other apps at the time it is not clear what format will be required for travel. I would suggest downloading the App and getting it set up. If you already have an NHS Login (that might be used by other apps as well including if you are reporting the result of home lateral flow tests) then it should be simple. If you need to set up a new login there is a process to go through with some id checks that can take a day or so.

So please be assured:
  • The data is there
  • There is a lot of work going on in the background
  • When there is an agreement on what a vaccine certificate looks like we should be ready to go
#960748 by International Hitman
04 May 2021, 10:46
GavinJ wrote:Long time lurker here but I am a GP in the NHS in England so hopefully can give some insight into vaccine passports.

General Practice in the UK has been highly computerised for many years and the systems that we have are generally very good. GP surgeries are a bit simpler to digitise than hospitals so we have tended to be ahead. The systems were mostly written by GPs to start off with and they continue to be quite focused. They can be limited because other parts of the NHS are not as advanced and interlinks between systems are very poor indeed.

Vaccinations don't use GP systems but actually do have pretty good reporting. They are based on some of the flu systems from the past so did not re-invent the wheel. A vaccination given one day will appear on the GP system the following afternoon. That is really handy for me co-ordinating invitations etc. This is why you need your NHS number for a vaccination.

Access to these records is a bit of a guddle at the moment. There are three main systems that GPs use and each has its own app. There are also some third party apps and an official NHS app. Exactly what is displayed depends a little on the app and a lot on what the settings are at the practice. Setting up access is a complicated topic but there tends to be a default which can later be manually changed. Annoyingly it is impossible to change the access for everyone, it all has to be done individually.
Whilst there is not a system in place for anyone to accept these for immigration this is simply not a priority.

There are suggestions that the NHS App will be used to display the data in an appropriate format. Whist the back office stuff is likely to make it visible on other apps at the time it is not clear what format will be required for travel. I would suggest downloading the App and getting it set up. If you already have an NHS Login (that might be used by other apps as well including if you are reporting the result of home lateral flow tests) then it should be simple. If you need to set up a new login there is a process to go through with some id checks that can take a day or so.

So please be assured:
  • The data is there
  • There is a lot of work going on in the background
  • When there is an agreement on what a vaccine certificate looks like we should be ready to go

Thanks GavinJ, this is reassuring and most informative
Keep up the good work, it really is appreciated :-D
Virgin Atlantic