This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#960698 by flyingfox
28 Apr 2021, 13:55
From what I read the MyGP and Patient Access are 3rd party platforms where as the NHS APP proper is owned and run by the NHS and with Grant Shapps confirming this morning they are making changes and intend to use the NHS App as an official confirmation of vaccine status I think most overseas authorities would rather use the NHS solution.
#960699 by mitchja
28 Apr 2021, 14:24
It's going to be a nightmare though getting your GP surgery to give access to your medical records. So far I've tried and apparently failed to get access to my medical records so I don't think it's going to be easy for a lot of people.

Edit to add - just rang my surgery again (this is after 2 phone calls and 2 separate visits to collect an online access form, give it back and show them ID 3 weeks ago) and they are now going to re-send me my Patient Access link registration details in the post which I didn't initially receive and is needed apparently.

People might want to start this process now if you plan to travel in the summer!
#960714 by flyingfox
01 May 2021, 09:30
Update from VS Trade;

During May we plan to maintain operations on the following routes, subject to late changes:

Operating. Frequency

Caribbean
LHR-BGI-LHR. 2 per week

USA
LHR-ATL-LHR. 3 per week
LHR-BOS-LHR. 1 per week
LHR-JFK-LHR. 7 per week
LHR-LAX-LHR. 5 per week
LHR-MIA-LHR. 1 per week

India
BOM-LHR only 1-16 May, 2 per week/17-31 May, 3 per week
LHR-DEL. 1 flight on 17 May
DEL-LHR only. 1-16 May, 3 per week/17-31 May, 2 per week

Pakistan
LHR-LHE-LHR. 3 per week
LHR-ISB-LHR. 3 per week

Hong Kong
HKG-LHR only. 3 per week

Nigeria
LHR-LOS-LHR. 7 per week

Israel
LHR-TLV-LHR. 4 per week
#960716 by Kraken
01 May 2021, 11:20
Tigerlilly wrote:Virgin appear to have taken all direct MCO flights from MAN and LHR off sale until July. Fingers crossed it’s the last delay

Who knows. Way too many people seem to think May 17th is D-day for international travel - and to an extent it is.

One slight issue when it comes to the USA though, President Biden has not yet indicated when the US border will be re-opened. Only last week he extended the closure of the US / Canadian border by a further 4 weeks.

You have to remember that the USA sees anywhere outside the USA as inherently unsafe. Even years before the events of 9-11, the quizzing you got before being allowed to a check-in desk for an American Airlines flight from the UK to the USA was crazy. Your passport was examined (each page - looking at country entry / exit stamps), quizzed about electronic / electrical items in baggage, checked luggage x-rayed (this was in the days before this being routine as part of the baggage system). There is no way President Biden will be in any hurry to open the US border - especially to "unsafe" countries like the UK, when passengers could have transited through anywhere to get to the UK - possibly from India - and then flown onto the USA.
#960721 by flyingfox
01 May 2021, 16:18
Flicking through VS annual report and financials for 2020 tucked away on page 19 it reads;

“ • Simplified fleet: As part of a rationalisation of the fleet we retired all our 4-engined aircraft and brought forward the retirement of an A330-200. This reduced our fleet from 45 to 37 aircraft, through the retirement of 7 Boeing 747-400s and 3 Airbus A340-600s and the arrival of 3 more fuel efficient A350-1000s. Looking forward we will operate one of the youngest and most fuel efficient long haul fleets in the sky.”

But I can’t see any date for the A332 retirement.

https://corporate.virginatlantic.com/co ... l%20v1.pdf
#960723 by mattyp
01 May 2021, 22:59
A nice piece on the evening news tonight about Jas Singh, a VS Sikh pilot who has been organising oxygen supplies along with the charity Khalsa Aid to fly to India.

There’s a short video on the VS Insta account. He’s piloting tonight’s Delhi flight with all the equipment.
#960724 by ColOrd
02 May 2021, 01:17
I met that guy on a flight to SFO a few years ago!! Lovely chap!!
#960745 by 747G-VXLG
03 May 2021, 23:11
flyingfox wrote:Update from VS Trade;

The following flights are cancelled:

Cancellations. Effective Until
MAN-BGI-MAN. 19 May
LHR-GND-LHR. 19 May
LHR-ANU-LHR. 19 May
LHR-HKG only. 19 May
LHR-PVG-LHR. 19 May
LHR-CPT-LHR. 19 May
LHR-JNB-LHR. 19 May
MAN-ISB-MAN 31 May

I was sure that MAN-BGI was cancelled until sometime in June as there was no mention of it on the schedule for May on Virgin Atlantic Cargo.
Also, what aircraft will be operating the MAN-ISB route when it starts again?
#960749 by VS075
04 May 2021, 13:43
flyingfox wrote:Flicking through VS annual report and financials for 2020 tucked away on page 19 it reads;

“ • Simplified fleet: As part of a rationalisation of the fleet we retired all our 4-engined aircraft and brought forward the retirement of an A330-200. This reduced our fleet from 45 to 37 aircraft, through the retirement of 7 Boeing 747-400s and 3 Airbus A340-600s and the arrival of 3 more fuel efficient A350-1000s. Looking forward we will operate one of the youngest and most fuel efficient long haul fleets in the sky.”

It could be that they're simply not going to be used again until the leases end. I know 747 retirement was brought forward and some of them found new homes, but breaking a lease isn't cheap.

A330-200 leases were trumpeted as four year deals when it was first announced they were joining the fleet, so one would assume their exit will be no later than sometime next year.
#960752 by 747G-VXLG
04 May 2021, 15:05
VS075 wrote:
flyingfox wrote:Flicking through VS annual report and financials for 2020 tucked away on page 19 it reads;

It could be that they're simply not going to be used again until the leases end. I know 747 retirement was brought forward and some of them found new homes, but breaking a lease isn't cheap.

A330-200 leases were trumpeted as four year deals when it was first announced they were joining the fleet, so one would assume their exit will be no later than sometime next year.

I was under the impression that the A330-200s were leaving between January and March next year, but I think if there is no quick restart to US flights they will be retired immediately.
#960770 by Hev60
05 May 2021, 18:59
Kraken wrote:
EmmaPeel007 wrote:Biden will be heading over to the UK for the G7 in June. It think this is a sign that things may be opening up between the US and UK by then. COVID -19 optics are super important to this administration. He wouldn't be travelling if they didn't think it was safe.

Fingers crossed this means we can keep our trip to London in September.

I don't think President Biden visiting for the G7 summit is a fair representation of views on a possible US-UK travel corridor. The G7 summit hotel will have been industrially sanitised before any Word Leader sets foot in it. Security levels will be sky-high and President Biden will doubtless travel on Air Force One & then his airtight "Beast" car to the hotel. Hardly a typical international travel experience!

With the news this morning that two Indian deletes at the mini G7 summit in London have tested positive for Covid 19 this will certainly (or it should) send alarms bells ringing. Apparently The India delegation were given diplomatic exemptions to the UK's quarantine rules on their arrival to the UK, although a daily testing regime is in place.

Even with all the testing and protocols in place, it just shows how delicate travelling can be.

I wonder if this current summit was due to be held in Australia whether that government would given the go-ahead (think we all know the answer to that) !!!
#960779 by mitchja
07 May 2021, 14:49
Update from VS Trade. MCO continues be cancelled until at least June 30th along with most Caribbean routes with the exception of BGI.

No mention so far of any other US route updates from June onwards.

The following flights are cancelled:

Cancellations Effective Until and including

Caribbean
MAN-BGI-MAN 18 June
LHR-ANU-LHR 23 June
LHR-GND-LHR 30 June
LHR-HAV-LHR 30 June
LHR-TAB-LHR 30 June

USA
LHR-MCO-LHR 30 June
MAN-MCO-MAN 30 June

Hong Kong
LHR-HKG only 26 May

China
LHR-PVG-LHR 26 May

South Africa
LHR-CPT-LHR 26 May
LHR-JNB-LHR 26 May

Pakistan
MAN-ISB-MAN 26 May

During May we plan to maintain operations on the following routes, subject to late changes:

Operating Frequency

Caribbean
LHR-BGI-LHR 2 per week

USA
LHR-ATL-LHR 3 per week
LHR-BOS-LHR 1 per week
LHR-JFK-LHR 7 per week
LHR-LAX-LHR 5 per week
LHR-MIA-LHR 1 per week

India
BOM-LHR only 1-19 May, 2 per week 20-31 May, 3 per week
LHR-DEL 1 flight on 17 May