This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#960869 by SDFLYER
12 Feb 2023, 18:38
We are flying LHR to Miami on the VS5 in April, currently on the A330 Neo in Premium using miles. Upper has become available on the later flight but it's scheduled the old A330.

I know the A330 is the old Upper Class suite, would you advise us to change or stick with the new premium product, we have quite a few companion upgrade vouchers between us so we were going to use a couple to gain access to the clubhouse as we are both silver members.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Steve
#960870 by mitchja
12 Feb 2023, 19:52
Welcome to V:Flyer :)

Upper Class every time...regardless of A/C type. Do remember that VS and all other airlines can and do swap A/C types on all routes so what you book now may well not end up what you actually fly on.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the A333's. The Upper Class seats on those A/C are all actually newer than the identical Upper Class seats on the B789's.
#960871 by mikethe3rd
12 Feb 2023, 20:38
Presumably you could use one of your vouchers to get you both into UC? Even if you used one to get you from Economy to Premium, it’d be worth trying your luck as agents lack of knowledge can sometimes work to your benefit. And that’s exactly what happened for some relatives flying to Miami this week.

The earlier departure somewhat offsets the CH benefit, but equally you get there a few hours earlier.

In an ideal world, reward will open up on your current flight, but I agree with James, always always always UC over any other cabin on any config.

As always, what’s it worth to you? You’re looking at an extra £200ish in tax pp and does the earlier departure mean an airport hotel… etc.
#960873 by SDFLYER
13 Feb 2023, 17:42
thanks everyone for your advice, I have upgraded to a G Upper class fare with my voucher, he took my card details for the taxes etc but it's not showing as a pending transaction on my CC. Also I have not received a confirmation email, It's showing on my account as Upper class and I have been able to select seats, does anyone know how long it will take to take the ££ and ticket the fare?

Thanks in anticipation,

Steve
#960874 by mitchja
13 Feb 2023, 18:44
It can take a few days for your booking to get re-ticketed; just depends on how busy they are. You should receive another booking confirmation email once it does go through though.
#960898 by SDFLYER
15 Feb 2023, 09:30
Thanks for all your replies, very helpful, the agent said it could be up to 3 weeks for them to ticket the change!

On a separate note, we are travelling in Upper from JFK in September and managed to get seats, albeit on the last 11.00pm flight using points and an upgrade voucher from Premium. If Upper becomes available on any other flights can we call and change?

Thanks again,

Steve
Virgin Atlantic