This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#961046 by 747G-VXLG
04 Jun 2021, 21:35
With the green list getting smaller and no signs of the US opening any time soon, does anyone think that Virgin will bring forward the retirements of more aircraft (maybe all of the A332s and a couple of the A333s)?
#961048 by 747G-VXLG
04 Jun 2021, 22:26
DIAZLUXO wrote:I would think they need them to be the backbone of all the routes to MCO

I don’t think MCO will be starting up again any time soon. But when it does start up, they could use the LHR A350s temporarily until the others are delivered and use the 789s for some of the flights. When the US flights do start, the other routes that VS operate will still probably be closed off, that’s why I thought they would utilise the newer A350s and 789s for passenger flights.
I do hope I am wrong, but at the moment there isn’t really much chance of a rapid restart of flights.
#961051 by LREDI
04 Jun 2021, 23:59
VS will be hoping the Caribbean and US opens in July. Otherwise, I suspect they'll be looking at a further round of capital raising/payment deferrals, that said, their cost base is significantly lower so they're in a better situation when the eventual rebound does materialise.
#961052 by 747G-VXLG
05 Jun 2021, 00:10
LREDI wrote:VS will be hoping the Caribbean and US opens in July. Otherwise, I suspect they'll be looking at a further round of capital raising/payment deferrals, that said, their cost base is significantly lower so they're in a better situation when the eventual rebound does materialise.

I really feel sorry for VS. They have had no financial help apart from what they have arranged themselves and there has been a complete lack of consideration given to the aviation industry as a whole.
I hope those routes do start in July, but this Indian variant is making it extremely unlikely at the moment.
I could maybe see some potential solutions for VS:
- Sale and lease back of the 4 A350s that they currently own (POP, DOT, JAM & PRD).
- Retire all of the A330-200s with immediate effect (and maybe a couple of the -300s).
- Moving some cargo operations to Manchester may save them some money.
- Adding domestic flights to UK staycation destinations such as Cornwall.
- Immediately selling the A339s they own when they are delivered and leasing them back.

I don’t know whether any of those are possible or not.
#961064 by 747G-VXLG
06 Jun 2021, 16:48
ken54 wrote:more likely they will go out of business along with a lot of other Airlines

I really disagree with that! I think they will find a way to survive throughout the rest of the pandemic.
#961083 by LREDI
09 Jun 2021, 00:00
SRB would let other Virgin companies go to the wall before VS IMO. The backing of shareholders is strong. VS isn't going anywhere, however they may need to do further capital raising in my opinion, per views above. View remains, they need to ride out this tough period as the rebound will be significant for cash generation.

Really depends on forward booking projections and how the wider estate is performing - V Hols included.
#961092 by FLYERZ
10 Jun 2021, 20:25
As much as SRB does appear to have VS closest to his heart there is always a breaking point and particularly when the travel sector is in such a mess with little visibility of when things will reopen it is somewhat of an endless pit. Completely the government's doing ,but just like how no bank is to big to fail, no airline even VS with SRB and his clout can survive indenfititely under the current environment. I also imagine shareholders that 6-9 months were told of expected reopening in the Spring would be more questioning (as us passengers are) of the accuracy of any promised timeliness to reopening.
Virgin Atlantic