This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#961121 by territt
13 Mar 2023, 17:20
Well my 24th April flight started with a Neo, then changed to the Dreamliner(Which i didnt think they used on the JFK route any more?) then to the 333 and know just changed again to 25 minutes earlier on the A350.
#961123 by each27
14 Mar 2023, 09:58
What a rollercoaster of emotions. (Don't they use the Dreamliner for the daytime flight out?)

I'm still on the A333 for 24th May. I assume I won't know what we are actually flying until considerably closer to the date! Kind of annoyed as the seat selection was being wonky when it switched from the A350 so our family is broken up in row A (parents 2-3A, we're 7, 8, 9A). A row is better for the A333 isn't it?
#961263 by roadrunner
07 Apr 2023, 01:57
VS says it was only running these to Boston and back to LHR through March but booking in July says it's on? Anyone know if this is just hopeful VS glitch or in fact?
#961266 by roadrunner
07 Apr 2023, 16:55
Despite vS saying they had only assigned the 330 neo to Boston through end of March - it still shows on August itinerary.
Like others not interested in upgrading to UC unless it’s on a new fit aircraft. Would welcome thoughts on whether listing that aircraft on that flight has any validity?
#961274 by ashs350K
09 Apr 2023, 02:31
After reading many many posts on multiple forums I am fully convinced VS know what they’re doing here; bait and switch. It’s very easy for them to see bookings in UC go down where aircraft type is 333 or 787. So they maximise using 339 and 351 as placeholder on routes where they operate these. Overpromise under deliver.
#961279 by LREDI
09 Apr 2023, 23:45
I think it's incredibly unlikely VS are moving aircraft positions around as you outline. Various factors can impact planning - including unexpected tech issues - which VLDY has seen a few of. Customers booking to purely get a neo I think would be in the minimal numbers.

For what it's worth, I've tried the neo, and will now avoid it - the seat is too tight for my liking - 789 and 35k for me.
#961281 by FLYERZ
10 Apr 2023, 11:21
ashs350K wrote:After reading many many posts on multiple forums I am fully convinced VS know what they’re doing here; bait and switch. It’s very easy for them to see bookings in UC go down where aircraft type is 333 or 787. So they maximise using 339 and 351 as placeholder on routes where they operate these. Overpromise under deliver.

Think it’s pretty silly to believe this. I think the population of people that know the difference between A330-300 and A330 Neo aircraft/seats is actually quite small in the grand scheme of things. I also think if you want to fly Upper compared to PE or EC, your decision is likely driven by bigger factors like the service level and wanting a flat bed/space. So in reality it’s probably only a very small minority who would book Upper as a result of it being a neo over A330-300. All to say I don’t think this is an intentional/underhand strategy to sneekily boost UC bookings.

As you say overpromising and under-delivering is quite a self-defeating approach. Just because people fuel this narrative on forum’s doesn’t make it true. What actual evidence do you have of the intention here other than last minute aircraft swaps (which are industry standard and you agree to in the Ts&Cs).
#961285 by CommanderB
10 Apr 2023, 20:37
LREDI wrote:I think it's incredibly unlikely VS are moving aircraft positions around as you outline. Various factors can impact planning - including unexpected tech issues - which VLDY has seen a few of. Customers booking to purely get a neo I think would be in the minimal numbers.

For what it's worth, I've tried the neo, and will now avoid it - the seat is too tight for my liking - 789 and 35k for me.

Agree with you on aircraft movements.

VS move aircraft for operational reasons, like everyone else does.

Don't book trips specifically for 330NEO until it's more settled, or book with the knowledge it may change.
#961286 by RLF
10 Apr 2023, 22:00
Looks like GEM is the first 330 to leave the fleet, flew out yesterday

What happens to her next I wonder?
#961305 by VS075
12 Apr 2023, 20:29
ashs350K wrote:After reading many many posts on multiple forums I am fully convinced VS know what they’re doing here; bait and switch. It’s very easy for them to see bookings in UC go down where aircraft type is 333 or 787. So they maximise using 339 and 351 as placeholder on routes where they operate these. Overpromise under deliver.

Or more a case of VS deciding to change aircraft to better meet its operational needs. Swaps can happen right up until on the day itself and there's nothing anyone can do about it. If anyone wanted to challenge it in the hope of a refund, it will likely end up in disappointment as VS are only required to get you from A to B.

As CommanderB says, I wouldn't book specifically for an A330neo just yet until more/all have been delivered. Then it will be easier to guess which routes are more certain for them (i.e. many existing A330 routes in general).
#961373 by mitchja
23 Apr 2023, 16:41
RLF wrote:Looks like GEM is the first 330 to leave the fleet, flew out yesterday

What happens to her next I wonder?

G-VGEM is back in service today and currently op'ing the VS135 to MCO. Most probably just flew to CHR for maintenance etc. It's been mentioned elsewhere that VS are keeping the A333's now.
#961374 by CommanderB
23 Apr 2023, 17:08
I can see them getting rid of the 789s before the 333s to have a single common fleet.
#961382 by LREDI
25 Apr 2023, 00:18
789s remain a key part of the fleet - especially given they own a couple and the remainder are on sale and leasebacks...

NEW will be due to head off for overhaul soon, I'd expect a new upper and Premium cabin to be fitted and new covers in Y.
#961383 by CommanderB
25 Apr 2023, 11:41
LREDI wrote:789s remain a key part of the fleet - especially given they own a couple and the remainder are on sale and leasebacks...

NEW will be due to head off for overhaul soon, I'd expect a new upper and Premium cabin to be fitted and new covers in Y.

I really like them so I hope they stay. I hope we get the 330 Neo product on them.
Virgin Atlantic