This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#961116 by bassaidai2222
13 Mar 2023, 14:45
Off to Vegas for 2 weeks in august but checking out car rental deals ... Been using Alamo now via Virgin for past 20 years or so but prices gone silly ..2 weeks SUV with Alamo 1838 all in ....via Virgin 1737 all ....now Avis 1323 ....but does not show clear insurance products so am I going to be given the hard sell at the Avis desk at Vegas Car Rental Suite , any recomendations please ...... Dave W ....
#961117 by Razorback
13 Mar 2023, 15:26
I too am looking at car rental prices for the US (in June) and am finding similarly that prices are still very high. (Alamo / Avis)

My experience based on 3 trips made last year was that prices did actually start to fall nearer the date with the lowest prices being about 2-3 weeks from date of arrival. The lowest prices were still 50% - 60% above what they were pre-covid.

When the price dropped to a reasonable level I booked (to lock in a maximum price) and continued to monitor for any further price drops. Last year for each trip I booked and cancelled a few times as the price continued to fall.

I am hoping this year it will follow a similar pattern, but have no crystal ball.
#961127 by plane340
14 Mar 2023, 20:00
plane340 wrote:Try skyscanner
Always have great rates. Then I try to go with QEEQ, no hassle, refunds given.
https://www.skyscanner.net/carhire/resu ... 1T10:00/30
We had the same last year - Virgin Holiday to SFO and coming back from LAX. Virgin wanted around 31650 for a 7 seater through Alamo.
No thanks!!!!!
Also try US Car Hire.
Good luck.

Should be £1650
#961128 by sjcraythorne
14 Mar 2023, 21:02
I would recommend trying Discount Florida Car Hire - email [email protected] - emailing directly usually has better than his websites prices. I'm in no way connected but always have received great rates.
(and yes, he does all of US, not just Florida).
#961130 by Kraken
15 Mar 2023, 11:47
If you're a Costco member, check out Costco Travel - pre-pandemic they were always the cheapest (for Florida & France). In Florida it was generally Alamo who Costco booked you with. In France it was either Europcar or Sixt.
#961131 by ianrother
15 Mar 2023, 13:38
I've used Autoeurope whilst in Orlando for many years... clear insurance with no excess and can cancel up to a few days before.....they quote from all the major car hire companies and list them all. Never had an issue over 20 years !
#961134 by plane340
16 Mar 2023, 11:47
Don't forget to purchase some 'Excess Car Hire Insurance' before you travel so you don't get ripped off at the car rental desk.
Questor is great.
#961135 by Hev60
17 Mar 2023, 18:46
plane340 wrote:Don't forget to purchase some 'Excess Car Hire Insurance' before you travel so you don't get ripped off at the car rental desk.
Questor is great.

Hi I’ve seen this mentioned on other forums. Why is there suddenly a need to purchase extra car hire cover insurances?

We have been travelling to the US (mostly Florida) every year since 1990. We have never considered upgrading our car hire contract. We’ve always used the bigger car hire agents like DFCH, USrentacar, , Net Flights or often booking direct with Avis, Alamo or Dollar. . Perhaps a few times the rental desk agent tried to offer extra cover but we was always told to decline as all the necessary insurance cover is already included. We’ve always ensured that ‘zero’ excess is stated.

Lately I’ve noticed mention of the Enhanced Roadside Assistance, apparently meaning a more substantial breakdown service covering the windscreen, loss of keys, changing a tyre etc but I’m not sure if the average tourist car hire renter will bother.

Wondering what other v-flyers think of the need to purchase extra car hire insurance.
#961136 by Kraken
18 Mar 2023, 01:05
Hev60 wrote:
plane340 wrote:Don't forget to purchase some 'Excess Car Hire Insurance' before you travel so you don't get ripped off at the car rental desk.
Questor is great.

Hi I’ve seen this mentioned on other forums. Why is there suddenly a need to purchase extra car hire cover insurances?

We have been travelling to the US (mostly Florida) every year since 1990. We have never considered upgrading our car hire contract. We’ve always used the bigger car hire agents like DFCH, USrentacar, , Net Flights or often booking direct with Avis, Alamo or Dollar. . Perhaps a few times the rental desk agent tried to offer extra cover but we was always told to decline as all the necessary insurance cover is already included. We’ve always ensured that ‘zero’ excess is stated.

Lately I’ve noticed mention of the Enhanced Roadside Assistance, apparently meaning a more substantial breakdown service covering the windscreen, loss of keys, changing a tyre etc but I’m not sure if the average tourist car hire renter will bother.

Wondering what other v-flyers think of the need to purchase extra car hire insurance.

I have been renting cars in Florida for close on 25 years & have always gone with one of the main reputable companies (e.g. Alamo, Avis, Enterprise etc). Even when booked through a consolidator like HolidayAutos / Costco etc, all the necessary CDW insurance has always been included. On occasions I have purchased the Alamo Gold add-on which is a very cheap way of getting up to two additional drivers & a tank of fuel included, so you can return the car with absolute minimum fuel - saves hassle on the last day.

Sure, I've often been offered things like Super-CDW insurance / tyre insurance / key-loss insurance / GPS on collection of the car, but always refuse these.

I do purchase stand-alone car hire excess insurance when renting in Europe though. Typically when renting a car in Europe, you will get basic insurance & damage to the rental car can come with a €1000 excess. They will offer to sell you excess reduction insurance at the rental desk for something like €20 a day. I've got 7 days of cover for a trip to Germany in May for £26.50 & this covers up to £7500. Sure, in the unlikely event you have to claim the rental company will charge your credit card & you then have to claim the money back off the insurer - still a €120-odd saving though compared to the rental companies insurance.

As a slight aside, on one of my more recent rentals in France with Hertz, my nephew was kindly sick [threw up] in the car on the way back to the airport. Reported this at the desk & the car was inspected & no external damage confirmed. Hertz only charged me about £65 for a deep-clean of the affected part of the interior - I was expecting far worse.
#961145 by plane340
20 Mar 2023, 10:42
Kraken wrote:
Hev60 wrote:
Questor is great.

I have been renting cars in Florida for close on 25 years & have always gone with one of the main reputable companies (e.g. Alamo, Avis, Enterprise etc). Even when booked through a consolidator like HolidayAutos / Costco etc, all the necessary CDW insurance has always been included. On occasions I have purchased the Alamo Gold add-on which is a very cheap way of getting up to two additional drivers & a tank of fuel included, so you can return the car with absolute minimum fuel - saves hassle on the last day.

Sure, I've often been offered things like Super-CDW insurance / tyre insurance / key-loss insurance / GPS on collection of the car, but always refuse these.

I do purchase stand-alone car hire excess insurance when renting in Europe though. Typically when renting a car in Europe, you will get basic insurance & damage to the rental car can come with a €1000 excess. They will offer to sell you excess reduction insurance at the rental desk for something like €20 a day. I've got 7 days of cover for a trip to Germany in May for £26.50 & this covers up to £7500. Sure, in the unlikely event you have to claim the rental company will charge your credit card & you then have to claim the money back off the insurer - still a €120-odd saving though compared to the rental companies insurance.

As a slight aside, on one of my more recent rentals in France with Hertz, my nephew was kindly sick [threw up] in the car on the way back to the airport. Reported this at the desk & the car was inspected & no external damage confirmed. Hertz only charged me about £65 for a deep-clean of the affected part of the interior - I was expecting far worse.

Yes, I am sure that's true.
I just purchase a yearly car hire excess insurance which includes 'worldwide' for about £65.00 so I know i'm covered.
Virgin Atlantic