This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#961423 by calmdave
21 Jul 2021, 19:14
seen on SimpleFlying website today:

"The Everton football club will be flying to Florida on a regularly scheduled flight. They will depart from Manchester Airport on a direct Virgin Atlantic flight to Orlando. VS 611 is due to leave Manchester at 11:00, before touching down in Orlando at 14:20 after eight hours and ten minutes in the skies. The airline will use its flagship Airbus A350 for the trip."

How is this possible??
#961424 by mikethe3rd
21 Jul 2021, 20:32
I don’t think it’s a scheduled service - sounds like a charter. As far as I’m aware, nothing else has been flying MAN-MCO.

If you’re wondering why the football team are allowed to enter, the rules changed for sports/celebs a while ago. Similar to how the F1 teams are going everywhere and more notably, the Olympics.

If you’re wondering why Everton are playing in the Orlando area, I have no clue.
#961425 by 747G-VXLG
21 Jul 2021, 21:04
mikethe3rd wrote:I don’t think it’s a scheduled service - sounds like a charter. As far as I’m aware, nothing else has been flying MAN-MCO.

If you’re wondering why the football team are allowed to enter, the rules changed for sports/celebs a while ago. Similar to how the F1 teams are going everywhere and more notably, the Olympics.

If you’re wondering why Everton are playing in the Orlando area, I have no clue.

You’re right It’s not a regular scheduled flight, it’s a private charter. As far as I’m aware, G-VTEA will position to LHR later tonight (I think departure time is 18:30 MCO time) and then another A350 will pick them up next week (no info on which on yet).
#961426 by Hev60
21 Jul 2021, 21:59
“How is this possible” is a question I asked 26 July 2020. My tennis tickets to the US last year and then this year were cancelled but the players are travelling all over the world, as are numerous different sporting stars and their entourages. Then of course so are politicians, diplomats, celebrities etc etc etc
But as ‘Gumshoe” pointed out to me at the time ‘ there are plenty of exemptions for holders of certain visas which may well include professional athletes competing in tournaments

To the average tourist just hoping to get access into the US for a holiday or poor folk like ‘Whiterose’ who wants to spend precious time with her family, it seems very unfair. Sport stars are free to travel the world as required.
Wonder how many of the Home Nations football teams are on a staycation ;-) I bet there are quite a few enjoying a family trip around Disneyworld!
#961428 by tontybear
22 Jul 2021, 07:44
Sports teams and others etc are only free to travel to attend recognised events. They still need to comply with any quarantine and other requirements laid down.

So after attending the G7 the Australian Prime Minister had to isolate on his return. It was why a certain “lady” was in isolation but has since deported was allowed to travel to Australia to appear in a TV show.

They aren’t allowed to travel willy nilly and certainly not to go on holiday with their families unless they meet the normal entry requirements of the country they are visiting.

Google tells me that Everton are playing in a mini tournament called the Florida Cup against a South America. club called “Milionairos” in Orlando. They would have been given permission by the US government to travel.

I’m not saying it’s right just that governments make exceptions to the rules. Just as ours did to allow Euro 2020 matches to take place here.
Virgin Atlantic