This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#961430 by dmc
01 May 2023, 20:10
Here is the new UC menu on my flight from Austin a couple of weeks ago (not sure if this is the same for all flights departing USA or just from Austin):

Starters
Sliced smoked duck breast - braised heritage carrots, sumac corn nut crumble on Spanish green goddess sauce.
Compressed summer melon salad - with yellow cherry tomato and peach salsa, crumbled Feta cheese and balsamic glaze.

Mains
Seared pheasant breast - with brown butter and thyme potato pave, charred broccolini and spicy Worcestershire sauce.
Roasted rainbow trout fillet - with sunchoke and saffron puree, blistered cherry tomatoes with a fresh chimichurri sauce.
Hoisin marinaded aubergine and mushroom - with steamed rice, fresh Asian salad and a sesame and ginger sauce (ve).

Dessert
Chocolate hazelnut crunch - with pecan praline crumble, whipped coffee cream and fresh raspberries.
Summer fruit gallette - with warm creme anglaise.

Cheese and Port

Speedy Supper - Southwestern tortilla soup - with cheddar cheese toastie.
#961438 by dmc
01 May 2023, 22:52
David wrote:Wow, those mains are brutal for fussy eaters

David

The crew informed us the pheasant was actually chicken for some reason (don't know why), and pretty much the whole cabin chose that option, meaning there wasn't enough for everyone.

It would be better if they could offer the meal preselection on these return legs, even if it was limited to just the on-board options only.
#961439 by territt
02 May 2023, 08:57
dmc wrote:
David wrote:It would be better if they could offer the meal preselection on these return legs, even if it was limited to just the on-board options only.

They do sometimes now, got it from JFK on Friday.
#961440 by Kraken
02 May 2023, 10:05
territt wrote:
dmc wrote:
David wrote:It would be better if they could offer the meal preselection on these return legs, even if it was limited to just the on-board options only.

They do sometimes now, got it from JFK on Friday.

Pre-pandemic I got the pre-select email for an inbound flight from Orlando. Sadly the fact I was ticketed as an AF codeshare on the VS76 was enough to throw the system when you tried to pre-select. (Exact same problem on the outbound leg also).

Let's see what happens next month when we return to the Sunshine State! (All on 932 VS issues tickets this time).
#961441 by mitchja
02 May 2023, 14:50
I didn't receive an email for pre-select on my outbound LHR>JFK for this coming Thursday (but it did let me pre-select from T-7days - menu as above). I did get an email for the inbound back from JFK>LHR next week and here is that selection:

Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 14.48.21.png
Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 14.48.21.png (293.84 KiB) Viewed 15997 times
#961452 by dmc
03 May 2023, 13:30
territt wrote:They do sometimes now, got it from JFK on Friday.

mitchja wrote:I did get an email for the inbound back from JFK>LHR next week and here is that selection:

Good to know that's available, thanks (just not from Austin yet I guess!). Interesting that the return menu choices are different for Austin, I noticed this was the case with the previous menu as well - do other US cities have different menus on the return leg as well, or do you think it's just Austin that has a special one?
#961477 by alexr
04 May 2023, 22:37
<sigh> Having to chase up IT staff via phone because the first pre-order email gave me an error and the last email is showing me the wrong meal choices:

• Crispy Coated Chicken Breast
• Brown Sugar Brined Pork Chop
• Forest Mushroom Fricassee (v)
• Express Potato and Watercress Cream Soup (v)

According to the phone staff, these choices don't match PE either, so they have no idea what's going on.

Crossing fingers they can sort out something because this is not an Upper-quality selection.
#961478 by each27
05 May 2023, 00:41
I'm a picky eater, so I hope some of these extras are available. Booked through Delta, so do I just go to my VS account and choose this way? I'd never picked meals before on Virgin, just got what was on offer and it was good. (The ravioli a year or so ago was delicious.)
#961479 by mitchja
05 May 2023, 02:09
I had the cod today which was very tasty and I pick that again.

It’s essentially ‘fish and chips’; though the chips is actually just a single potato fritter.
#961482 by buns
05 May 2023, 11:25
mitchja wrote:I had the cod today which was very tasty and I pick that again.

It’s essentially ‘fish and chips’; though the chips is actually just a single potato fritter.

Good to know James!

Quick question - is the tartare sauce served separately or is is spread over the cod when served?

Buns
#961486 by mitchja
05 May 2023, 13:04
Buns

It's drizzled over the cod:

IMG_1132.JPG
IMG_1132.JPG (325.17 KiB) Viewed 15672 times
#961491 by AlphaEcho
06 May 2023, 01:59
Flew on the VS19 from LHR to SFO on 29th April 2023 and this is the complete menu offering for Upper:

After Take-Off & Express Lunch.jpg
After Take-Off & Express Lunch.jpg (159.73 KiB) Viewed 15570 times

A Bite Later On & Wine List.jpg
A Bite Later On & Wine List.jpg (178.54 KiB) Viewed 15570 times

From the Bar & Hot Drinks.jpg
From the Bar & Hot Drinks.jpg (199.96 KiB) Viewed 15570 times
#961504 by jilly
07 May 2023, 21:54
alexr wrote:<sigh> Having to chase up IT staff via phone because the first pre-order email gave me an error and the last email is showing me the wrong meal choices:

• Crispy Coated Chicken Breast
• Brown Sugar Brined Pork Chop
• Forest Mushroom Fricassee (v)
• Express Potato and Watercress Cream Soup (v)

This was the menu for UC printed on the onboard menu ex TPA yesterday.

However, announcement was made that the food at TPA is 'outsourced' and they can't seem to get it right.

Instead, there was chicken and salmon availble, the latter came with sweet potato mash but can't comment as I didn't partake in food - much too late for me at nearly midnight local time.

Even though the lounge itself was slightly bland looking, food was definitely an improvement on MCO so I'd eaten there already.

Breakfast was also different to the printed version.

Jilly

#961507 by dmc
08 May 2023, 07:07
Just arrived in SFO on VS41 and there was a special Coronation version of the usual Afternoon Tea available today - I presume this was on all flights this weekend.

Menu:

Coronation menu.jpg
Coronation menu.jpg (190.95 KiB) Viewed 14993 times

Photo of the afternoon tea (with slightly smashed macaron!):

Coronation afternoon tea.jpg
Coronation afternoon tea.jpg (491.33 KiB) Viewed 14993 times
#961508 by Hev60
08 May 2023, 13:47
I travelled to Tampa on 10th April and returned 21st April. I admit I take no interest about the aircraft I travel on! but the captain announced it was only 2nd flight of this particular plane. Did smell and look very new ;-)

I was looking forward to the new menu on the outbound flight. However like Jilly said an announcement was made saying it was Chicken, Salmon or a veg alternative. Got to say it was not great :-O

We didn’t look at the inbound dinner menu as it was far too late to eat. We actually had a very nice meal at the Hard Rock, landslide. I thought the Tampa lounge was very underwhelming. As much as I agree food is not great at MCO, I feel it’s far more comfortable and Outback is great for a decent meal.

The ‘full English’ breakfast was the worst I’ve ever had in UC. As the cabin crew member took the untouched plate away, she mouthed ‘sorry’. Says it all.

On a positive note, I love Tampa airport. So clean and easily assessable. Hope Virgin can change their flight timings though it’s so late both ways, feel sorry for folk with kids arriving & takings off that late.
Thank goodness for the Marriott on site.
#961515 by murphyg
09 May 2023, 18:05
dmc wrote:Just arrived in SFO on VS41 and there was a special Coronation version of the usual Afternoon Tea available today - I presume this was on all flights this weekend.

Menu:

Coronation menu.jpg

Photo of the afternoon tea (with slightly smashed macaron!):

Coronation afternoon tea.jpg

Seeing this afternoon tea makes me really sad that they don't do it as standard anymore. Even the PE one used to be better than just being offered a cream tea in UC now, and the UC was similar to this. Miss the feeling of being special.
#961518 by flyingfox
09 May 2023, 23:34
Unfortunately at the moment Pre Select is not available for Tampa and Austin and select Caribbean inbound flights;

Pre-order is available for confirmed bookings on all UK outbound flights, US inbound flights (excluding Tampa and Austin) and select Caribbean inbound flights where applicable*. Pre-order not available for group bookings and not suitable for customers with dietary requirements. Any customers with dietary requirements should order a Special Meal - click here to find out more.

While we try to fulfil all meal requests, meal choices can’t be guaranteed and we reserve the right to change the menu without prior notice. You'll find the full T&C’s and a complete list of the flights offering this service here.

*Please note, if you are joining a flight in the Caribbean that has not originated at your destination, unfortunately you are currently unable to pre-select your meal (For example: MBJ-NAS-LHR - Pre-order would be available from MBJ but not from NAS).

link to further info tab18 for Pre Select T&C’s
#961568 by CommanderB
15 May 2023, 12:57
Here's the inbound menu for the west coast flights:

Evening meal

Breakfast
#961576 by dmc
16 May 2023, 00:27
CommanderB wrote:Here's the inbound menu for the west coast flights:

And just for completeness, here's the inbound menu for Austin (which is different from the others):

Evening meal
AUS_dinner.jpg
AUS_dinner.jpg (406.67 KiB) Viewed 13668 times

Breakfast
AUS_breakfast.jpg
AUS_breakfast.jpg (329.12 KiB) Viewed 13668 times
#961710 by Razorback
05 Jun 2023, 13:22
Has anybody tried the roasted Norfolk chicken breast please? Yet to see a picture of it.

Flying from MAN in a few days, so choices are limited, can't decide between this and the "fish 'n' chips".
#961711 by mitchja
05 Jun 2023, 13:38
I’ve heard rumours that the current onboard menu is being ‘looked at’ due to poor feedback from both pax and crew.
#961715 by Kraken
06 Jun 2023, 21:55
I've ordered the Cod for my flight on Monday from MAN... I await to see how good / bad it is. It did appear to be the lesser of the 3 evils on offer though.
Virgin Atlantic