This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#961417 by mitchja
21 Jul 2021, 09:43
Weekly update from VS Trade with re-start of MCO flights pushed out by a further week:

Cancellations Effective until & including

USA
LHR-MCO 29 Aug
MAN-MCO 29 Aug
LHR-IAD 10 Aug
LHR-SEA 10 Aug

We are also making some frequency updates for August on selected routes. We will provide schedules for August as soon as details become available and will continue to keep our website up to date with all the latest updates to schedule and travel restrictions.
#961427 by flyingfox
21 Jul 2021, 23:42
The US Department of Homeland Security have this evening extended the border closure between the US and Canada/Mexico to the 21st August. Canada plan to allow fully vaccinated individuals from August 9th but no reciprocal arrangements by the US so far. In regards to an announcement hinted too by Biden last week Reuters sighting sources say although high level discussions are taking place no decisions have been made.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-ext ... 021-07-21/
#961429 by mitchja
22 Jul 2021, 09:54
A travel update from VS for anyone flying to Grenada (GND) :

Effective 31 July 2021, all visitors (excluding Grenadian citizens and residents) arriving in Grenada by air, must be fully vaccinated.
If customers are not fully vaccinated, then unfortunately Grenadian authorities wont permit entry and they wont be allowed to travel.
#961430 by flyingfox
22 Jul 2021, 14:05
The weekly White House press briefing by the Covid 19 Response Team is scheduled to take place later today, a few of the American news networks are reporting some kind of direction will be discussed on the reopening of international travel;

https://youtu.be/oNOLqXimxmo

Edit to add nothing at all was asked or mentioned in the above press conference, in the main White House press briefing the question on international travel was put too the Commerce Secretary who’s response was simply “ I have no updates on international travel but I urge everyone to get vaccinated so we can open up”. I doubt there will be any official announcement from the administration anytime soon unfortunately.
#961436 by mikethe3rd
24 Jul 2021, 09:13
flyingfox wrote:Bloomberg reporting the US is in more advanced talks with the UK and Canada with regards to covid 19 vaccine passports than it is with the EU; https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... e-progress

I think Bloomberg are reporting that the EU is in more advanced talks with the U.K. and Canada with regards to Covid 19 vaccine passports than it is with the US.
#961437 by gumshoe
24 Jul 2021, 09:27
mikethe3rd wrote:
flyingfox wrote:Bloomberg reporting the US is in more advanced talks with the UK and Canada with regards to covid 19 vaccine passports than it is with the EU; https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... e-progress

I think Bloomberg are reporting that the EU is in more advanced talks with the U.K. and Canada with regards to Covid 19 vaccine passports than it is with the US.

Exactly that. The inference being there’s been very little headway made with the US, which is frustrating but not surprising as - despite a bit of noise of late from airlines, a handful of US politicians and Mrs Merkel - I’m not getting the sense that there’s any appetite at all within the White House to lift the Presidential proclamation any time soon.

It’s certainly positive that, after more than a year, it’s finally on the news agenda - but I suspect there’ll need to be a lot more noise from a lot more influential people before it actually happens.

The question is - what does it mean for VS? It’s now lost two lucrative summer holiday seasons; it survived one hard winter but there’s every possibility that it’s facing a second.
#961438 by flyingfox
24 Jul 2021, 09:28
Yeap your absolutely correct I scanned the article too quickly.

mikethe3rd wrote:

#961442 by Tigerlilly
24 Jul 2021, 19:40
Can I ask advice?
I’m booked on a VH package to Vegas on august 24th for a week, and although I know it’s now not happening my booking in both VH and VA are both still live. However, all direct flights for my date and those in the following few days have been taken off sale. Is it fair to assume that it’s definitely going to get cancelled now over the next few days?
Unfortunately it was for my 40th and 20 year wedding anniversary, and we had a great deal ( upper class both ways, with large suite at TI for £4450 all in) . After looking at alternative dates for next April it’s a lot more expensive so priced us out. I really want to book a European trip instead for same dates ASAP and use the VH refund towards our virgin Florida holiday we have booked already next year.
Do I risk it and book the holiday I’ve found for august as it looks certain I’m being cancelled or hold off for the email?
Also worth noting my tickets should have been available to download today but they aren’t .
Thank you in advance .
#961443 by pidgeofcdf
24 Jul 2021, 23:41
wow that was a great deal you had! i paid £3000 just for UC flights to mco for 2 people.
i’m no expert but i would say it’s 90% certain you will get cancelled. i’m already planning alternatives for my trip beginning of september that im almost certain will be cancelled.
do they make enough on the cargo trips to keep them going? I’m afraid i won’t be booking any trips to the usa again till i know the borders are open. can’t deal with a third trip being cancelled.
#961444 by Tigerlilly
25 Jul 2021, 07:33
Thanks pidgeofcdf.
This will be my 5th cancelled trip since last April to the USA . We lost Florida 4 times.
They do pretty good on cargo and thankfully the Caribbean trips are helping now.
I wanted to keep my money with Virgin to help so defo will use most of the refund against the Florida one next year.
The other holiday is slowly going up in cost whilst I wait for them to officially cancel, it’s driving me nuts lol
#961450 by ColOrd
26 Jul 2021, 18:37
Thoroughly depressing news sadly!
#961470 by 15isto2
28 Jul 2021, 13:21
VIR75L wrote:Hi

Is there anything in the grapevine about an extension to the MCO resumption?

I know it was Wednesday last week when it was shared on this board.

Waiting for the inevitable cancellation of 5th September.

Thanks

I am due to fly on the 4th and just waiting for the cancellation (I need to cancel my DVC reservation next week or I loose my points so I am fairly decided that I am not going at this point). The VS trade bulletin came out this morning but no mention of further flight cancellations at this point.
#961471 by VS075
28 Jul 2021, 13:23
VIR75L wrote:Hi

Is there anything in the grapevine about an extension to the MCO resumption?

I know it was Wednesday last week when it was shared on this board.

Waiting for the inevitable cancellation of 5th September.

Thanks

My gut feeling is VS will not resume flights to MCO until the US government permits UK-originating travellers once again. Going by the way things are going, I reckon this will be the second successive summer that the USA is closed to UK travellers.
#961474 by pidgeofcdf
28 Jul 2021, 16:07
the president has already made his feelings very clear. he doesn’t want anymore delta or new variant coming in and the uk is still on alert level 4. very unlikely he will let us come this year i feel.
i’m waiting on my flight on sept 4th to be cancelled, i’ve already made other plans now and have cancelled airport parking car hire etc.
#961475 by Hev60
28 Jul 2021, 17:10
pidgeofcdf wrote:the president has already made his feelings very clear. he doesn’t want anymore delta or new variant coming in and the uk is still on alert level 4. very unlikely he will let us come this year i feel.
i’m waiting on my flight on sept 4th to be cancelled, i’ve already made other plans now and have cancelled airport parking car hire etc.

I think you’re spot on. The case numbers in the US are raging again, so to me it seems very stupid lifting the restrictions on quarantine. After all double vaccinated people can carry the darn virus anyway. The US are discouraging their citizens to travel to the uk anyway. They do not have a national vaccine passport app. In fact over half the States including Florida have banned the use of vaccination certification!

I was recently following several in depth debates over on another travel forum and next Spring was mentioned as being the earliest time Pres. Biden will open the US to uk tourists. Depressing thought but more than likely quite realistic. Australia have kept their borders under very strict control but they are heading in the wrong direction again :-(
#961478 by ColOrd
28 Jul 2021, 18:57
Australia are an interesting comparison, as they keep having these flareups despite their almost pathological fear of allowing people into the country now. The problem is that most of Auz thinks nothing is wrong and so vaccine roll out just isn't taking place.

I think there needs to be a sensible, pragmatic approach whereby countries with similar levels of infection and vaccination start to open up to each other and acknowledge that their respective publics will need to take suitable precautions.

Of course, no one is saying that being double jabbed is 100% protection, but my feeling is that it leaves us with an acceptable level of risk to travel to places which are in a similar position, I think the UK is starting to see that thankfully!
#961488 by David
29 Jul 2021, 09:18
Lot of news channels this morning hoping Biden reciprocates and opens up the Border to the UK - wont hold my breath unfortunately.

We should have waited till there was a deal in place before playing our hand. A few US travel agents are not expecting UK visitors before 2022 which is a real worry but the other news of concern is that some of the US citizens that have been vaccinated have only waited 2 weeks between jabs. Makes the figures look great but doesn't help the situation with the latest strain.

David
#961489 by mitchja
29 Jul 2021, 09:51
Update from VS Trade:

Cancellations Effective until & including
USA

LHR-LAS 29 Aug
LHR-SFO 29 Aug
MAN-ATL 29 Aug
MAN-JFK 29 Aug

During August we plan to maintain operations on the following routes, subject to late changes:

USA
LHR-ATL-LHR 4 per week
LHR-BOS-LHR 3 per week
LHR-JFK-LHR 14 per week
LHR-LAX-LHR 7 per week
LHR-MIA-LHR 3 per week

Caribbean
LHR-BGI-LHR 7 per week
LHR-MBJ-LHR 2-8 Aug, 2 per week 9-31 Aug, 3 per week
LHR-ANU-LHR 3 per week
LHR-GND-LHR (via BGI) 2 per week
MAN-BGI-MAN 3 per week from 7 Aug

South Africa
LHR-JNB-LHR 3 per week

India
LHR-BOM-LHR 2-8 Aug, 2 per week
9-31 Aug, 3 per week
LHR-DEL-LHR 2-8 Aug, 3 per week
9-31 Aug, 2 per week

Pakistan
LHR-LHE-LHR 2 per week
LHR-ISB-LHR 4 per week

Hong Kong
LHR-HKG 2 per week from 21 Aug
HKG-LHR 7 per week

China
LHR-PVG-LHR 1 per week from 13 Aug

Nigeria
LHR-LOS-LHR 7 per week

Israel
LHR-TLV-LHR 2-8 Aug, 6 per week
9-31 Aug, 5 per week

Our partner Delta Air Lines flying programme

LHR-ATL-LlHR Daily
LHR-JFK-LHR 5 per week

#961490 by gumshoe
29 Jul 2021, 10:11
David wrote:Lot of news channels this morning hoping Biden reciprocates and opens up the Border to the UK - wont hold my breath unfortunately.

We should have waited till there was a deal in place before playing our hand.

Asked by the BBC this morning whether the US will reciprocate, the Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said: “We’ve had conversations and the President’s raised it with the Prime Minister, so they clearly would like to proceed. We’ll work out how we can do that as soon as possible”.

So vaguely positive, but still nothing concrete.
Virgin Atlantic