This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#961581 by Floatechoppers
16 May 2023, 11:59
Getting conflicting information regarding expiry of Virgin Flight Vouchers. "Which" web-site says that flights using vouchers only have to be booked by 31/12/2023 whereas Virgin website seems to infer that they have to be booked and travel completed by 31/12/2023. Anyone know the correct interpretation?? Can the value of these vouchers, if not used by the expiry date, be put towards an existing trip - i.e. car hire/hotel vouchers/seat upgrade etc etc. Thanks for any info??
#961582 by CommanderB
16 May 2023, 12:40
Floatechoppers wrote:Getting conflicting information regarding expiry of Virgin Flight Vouchers. "Which" web-site says that flights using vouchers only have to be booked by 31/12/2023 whereas Virgin website seems to infer that they have to be booked and travel completed by 31/12/2023. Anyone know the correct interpretation?? Can the value of these vouchers, if not used by the expiry date, be put towards an existing trip - i.e. car hire/hotel vouchers/seat upgrade etc etc. Thanks for any info??

What do you mean by "Virgin Flight Vouchers"?

There are multiple types, can you elaborate on how you earned/received said voucher?
#961586 by Floatechoppers
17 May 2023, 11:24
We booked in 2001 but could no go due to Covid and took advantage of the Flight Voucher scheme which says they must be used by 31/12/2023. We had 4 seats for family members and used 2 for our upcoming trip to LA in September but most likely will not be able to use the other 2 for flights before end of the year. What options are there?? Thanks.
#961589 by CommanderB
17 May 2023, 17:39
Floatechoppers wrote:We booked in 2001 but could no go due to Covid and took advantage of the Flight Voucher scheme which says they must be used by 31/12/2023. We had 4 seats for family members and used 2 for our upcoming trip to LA in September but most likely will not be able to use the other 2 for flights before end of the year. What options are there?? Thanks.

So if the flight you booked never flew, even now you can still ask for a refund. If the flight flew, a refund isn't possible. That's what I was told when I used my one remaining voucher back in March of this year.

You should be able to put the voucher towards a revenue fare. It cannot be used for anything other than a revenue fare. For example, I wanted to use mine to pay the taxes & fees for a reward booking and that wasn't allowed. So forget about using it for things like car hire etc. It can only really go towards a revenue fare. If you never took the flight, and you don't want a refund, they will also rebook you on the same flight with new dates prior to the expiry of the voucher. (That's what I did). That also didn't trigger a fare difference which was AWESOME because I had a super cheap west coast ticket in Upper and they just put me on an upcoming flight that was selling for WAY more than I paid. :cool:

AFAIK to not trigger the fare difference, the voucher must be used for the exact same route (I.e. LHR>JFK), be a revenue fare, be in the same cabin AND the original flight must have been cancelled.

As for if it has to be completed before 31/12/2023 I cannot be sure on that. I'd expect that if it's ticketed and you've done the outbound by then, it'll be fine. But call VS ticketing to be sure on that one.

Hope that helps.
#961590 by mitchja
17 May 2023, 19:17
The COVID-19 flight voucher rules can be found here

Vouchers do vary slightly based on your original date of travel, however, they all seem to be the same when it comes to voucher expiry. They all state travel must be completed by December 31st 2023.

Even if your original flight did operate, do check to see if it got a schedule change as VS are very flexible when it comes to schedule changes as anything more than a 3 hour change to a scheduled departure time allows for a full refund.

I got away with using that as one of my flights during COVID did operate (the VS103 to ATL) and even though I couldn't board that flight due to the government restrictions at the time; it still technically operated. Thankfully it got a ~4Hr schedule change between me booking it and the departure date meaning I got a full refund but only because of the schedule change. It was also booked via an agent (Expedia) and they were amazing as I got the full refund in <10 days. It makes no difference how you book when it comes to the VS 3 Hr schedule change refund rule.
Virgin Atlantic