This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#961465 by spacedog
04 May 2023, 14:12
I'm considering a TP run as I won't quite renew AU this year. By the time it runs out (end of August) I'll only have 700 points, leaving me 300 shy. Any suggestions on if it's still possible to book a fairly last minute trip in June to make up the numbers? I'd like to keep the price as reasonable as possible, but am open to travelling anywhere in the world. I'm not entirely sure if the benefits are worth it as we largely fly Upper, but I guess I'll have to weigh that up based on prices. Thanks for any suggestions.
#961466 by CommanderB
04 May 2023, 14:56
I mean, it’s possible.

But 300 is quite a bit. You’re going to have to do an I fare one way and Z the other or S in Premium plus an I in upper.

I’d say your best bet is off season North East Coast US. BOS/IAD/JFK. Then off season Caribbean over a weekend. MCO in June is cheap. Check the EDI/MAN flights too for MCO/JFK as my June MCO flight from MAN is cheap in Upper. TLV can be a good option too.

You’re easily going to spend £2k for this run, so the question is… is that really worth it for you?
#961467 by spacedog
04 May 2023, 15:18
Thanks, CommanderB! I appreciate it. I looked at a few options from MAN and found a few decent fares to some East Coast destinations, but as you say, it's looking like a minimum of £2,000. Which could just be spent on a ticket when we actually need to go somewhere! I'll look at TLV, too, just incase. Thanks again for the sane input :)
#961469 by matt.hibb
04 May 2023, 15:40
Don't forget you earn TPs on reward bookings now.

I'm not sure I'd invest much in achieving gold, especially if I normally flew upper. Most of the gold benefits are only applicable when you're not flying upper in my opinion. I value the points bonus, but not sure there's much else.
#961471 by CommanderB
04 May 2023, 16:55
matt.hibb wrote:Don't forget you earn TPs on reward bookings now.

I'm not sure I'd invest much in achieving gold, especially if I normally flew upper. Most of the gold benefits are only applicable when you're not flying upper in my opinion. I value the points bonus, but not sure there's much else.

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that's still a thing!
#961473 by dmc
04 May 2023, 18:43
Just another idea - would it be achievable and maybe slightly cheaper with several short-haul returns on Air France or KLM in Business?

I know it would involve several of these - but it looks like you can get 40 TP per leg in Business.
#961600 by spacedog
18 May 2023, 18:53
Hi, all. As dmc suggested, it looks like business on KLM/Air France is the way to go.

We just did a trip earlier this month and I'd miscalculated the TP earnings, meaning I actually have 820 TP :) My OH really wants to visit the Porsche & Mercedes museum, so we are flying from LBA via AMS to STR on the outbound, and a slightly convoluted STR > CDG > AMS > LBA on the return. It's about £700 PP which didn't seem too bad considering we get a weekend away doing something we like, plus it means we will both renew AU.
#961698 by mediamonkey
04 Jun 2023, 09:03
Jumping in on this. Realised I need to renew Silver. I’ve a U.S. trip coming up that’ll give me 200 of the needed TPs. Anyone suggest a quick way to grab the extra 200. Am close to bristol airport so I could find some cheap business AMS returns. But also thought maybe a little connecting internal US flight with Delta?

Also I haven’t booked the US route yet. Likely to be to MIA and return from LAS so an option there to hit a few TPs with delta.

Any ideas much appreciated.
#961699 by David
04 Jun 2023, 09:25
Funny enough was looking at this this morning.

LHR - TLV 20th July arriving 21st July
TLV - LHR 23rd July

Upper

£1127

David
Virgin Atlantic