This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#961696 by flyingfox
03 Jun 2023, 21:18
Virgin CEO teasing some info out ahead of the IATA Conference;

Weiss is jetting out to Istanbul this weekend ahead of the conference getting underway on Sunday, where he has already lined up a string of media interview to plug the new destinations.

In a leaked internal memo, the Israeli-born aviation executive didn’t give any clues as to where Virgin Atlantic plans to fly next, but the hot money is on Seoul, South Korea, being one of the two new routes that will be formally announced.

Virgin Atlantic is already tipped to start flying a daily service between its London Heathrow hub and Seoul Incheon at the beginning of the Summer 2024 schedule, which begins on the last Sunday of March.

As for where the other new route due to be announced is going to be, that remains a mystery. Weiss did, however, tell staffers that the two new routes would be on different continents so that might preclude an expanded footprint in India for the time being at least.

news article
#961697 by VS075
04 Jun 2023, 08:33
For some reason, I thought Seoul was already announced, but I guess it’s probably a safe bet given what’s gone on and now VS is part of SkyTeam.

As for the hints being on different continents, I’m going to speculate it’ll be either São Paulo or bringing back MAN-LAX.
#961700 by mitchja
04 Jun 2023, 09:37
VS075 wrote:For some reason, I thought Seoul was already announced, but I guess it’s probably a safe bet given what’s gone on and now VS is part of SkyTeam.

The first phase has already been announced - a codeshare agreement between VS and KE which started in March.
#961702 by CommanderB
04 Jun 2023, 12:22
My money is on MAN-LAX.

All of the other announcements I’ve heard from crews over the last few months and they’ve all been saying MAN-LAX will return next summer probably on a similar date as LAS.
#961703 by nicsbx
04 Jun 2023, 18:12
While I know very unlikely it would be nice if some of the (potential) re-established MAN routes came back year round, even if 2-3 days a week.
#961707 by ColOrd
05 Jun 2023, 07:41
Sao Paolo and Bengaluru

Say olá to Sao Paolo

Not only are we announcing another new city to join our network, but a new country, and a whole new continent too. We’re so excited to announce that we’re flying to São Paulo, Brazil, opening up a Carnival float-load of adventures across South America.

Our daily flights from London Heathrow will depart for the first time from May 2024 on our 787 aircraft. Viva!

Go full colour in Bengaluru

It’s new routes Ban-galore! We can’t wait to depart for the ‘Silicon Valley of India’ from March 31st 2024. Not only is it a nursery for unicorns (the billion-dollar business kind rather than the rainbow maned, pointy-faced kind), it’s a beautiful garden city brimming with colour, culture and creativity.

Daily flights to Bengaluru join our popular Delhi and Mumbai services on our 787 aircraft. 
#961708 by chrisfinch_2000
05 Jun 2023, 09:31
All these new routes are fantastic to see! So happy VS are back in growth mode.

Do we know if this means Virgin have acquired new slots/ New aircraft without some departing as planned? Or if this means some routes will now drop / see a reduced frequency!?
#961709 by mitchja
05 Jun 2023, 09:43
chrisfinch_2000 wrote:Do we know if this means Virgin have acquired new slots/ New aircraft without some departing as planned? Or if this means some routes will now drop / see a reduced frequency!?

The only routes that are confirmed as going are all the Pakistan routes. The last one still currently op'ing (ISB from LHR) ends 9th July.

I believe VS have at least 1 more new A339 delivery planned for this year with more next year. The original order was for 14 with options on another 6, though rumours are that 14 number has now dropped slightly.

GRU had already been announced and was on sale; but was pulled before it started when COVID-19 hit.
#961712 by ColOrd
05 Jun 2023, 21:01
Yes there was a bit of a fated history with GRU, it was due to start I believe in either March or May 2020, but bookings were light and it was pushed back to August, before being pulled when the full effects of covid hit!

Interesting that VS is going back!
#961713 by VS075
05 Jun 2023, 21:41
ColOrd wrote:Yes there was a bit of a fated history with GRU, it was due to start I believe in either March or May 2020, but bookings were light and it was pushed back to August, before being pulled when the full effects of covid hit!

Interesting that VS is going back!

Since then, VS have entered into a codeshare agreement with LATAM who have a large hub at GRU and with DL now having a stake in LATAM, it wouldn't surprise me if they join SkyTeam in the fullness of time given their exit from Oneworld a few years back. I'm not sure if the original codeshare agreement with GOL still exists.
Virgin Atlantic