This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#962065 by Traveller2
30 Jul 2023, 14:43
If you're a member of Trip Advisor, you could go onto the Austin forum where there will be people who will give you loads of good information.

I believe you can read posts/replies without actually joining the website and there is a "Things to do" tab you can click on at the top of the forum page for more ideas.
#962066 by catsilversword
30 Jul 2023, 15:47
Stayed just outside Austin a few years ago - therefore can’t really comment on the city itself. But what I can say is, if you’re renting a car, it’s definitely worth driving the 20 miles out to Salt Lick BBQ!
#962067 by VS075
30 Jul 2023, 17:46
Martin5192 wrote:Has anyone visited Austin, We are considering going in November. If so is their plenty to see and do. Would you recommend it? Looking at doing a 10 night stay.

You'll just miss out on the US Grand Prix which is in town late-October this year, but that should mean hotels are more easier to come by in theory.
#962068 by mikethe3rd
30 Jul 2023, 19:26
Martin5192 wrote:Has anyone visited Austin, We are considering going in November. If so is their plenty to see and do. Would you recommend it? Looking at doing a 10 night stay.

10 nights in Austin is far too long unless you'll use it as a base and drive around further afield... Eg, Dallas, San Antonio, Houston etc. Don't get me wrong, the Austin bars are fun and the BBQ food superb, but we could only do so many nights of that. As for attractions, we did the Capitol and LBJ Library. Whatever the park is called is good for a walk too, but you can easily tick all of this off list within a couple of days. We've been twice; a 2-night trip and a 1-night trip.

The airport is close to downtown, so you could always fly in and out of AUS and fly pretty much anywhere in the US within 2/3 hours.
#962069 by dmc
31 Jul 2023, 00:39
Been there 6 times in the past year on business mostly. It depends what you like really - I agree with the earlier post, TripAdvisor "Things to Do" is a great place to start planning.

The city itself is quite walkable - November will be better for that - right now it's way too hot - and a few interesting landmarks/buildings around, including the State Capitol. There are loads of bars and music venues particularly around Sixth Street - but depends whether that's your thing (I went there once and that was enough for me :) )

Different people will give you different answers on the "best" place for BBQ, but you really can't go wrong, it's all great in my opinion, especially if you order the 'moist brisket'! There are loads of other great places to eat though including food trucks, and lots of amazing small local breweries within easy driving distance.

You'll get more value for money if you stay outside the city for at least part of your trip and rent a car to travel out to surrounding areas. There are some nice scenic views and places to stay around Lake Travis where you can take out day-rental boats, kayaks, paddle boards etc.

If you do travel further afield to other cities, it's fairly easy to drive despite some long distances - big straight roads and the gas prices are some of the cheapest in the country.

The flights to/from Austin so far have typically not been full aside from when special events are on, which means it's fairly easy to end up with some extra space on your flight, with Fridays being the busiest day from what I've seen.
#962073 by cheesebag
01 Aug 2023, 11:18
Really interested in this, we are going for 5 days in Feb and staying at the Four Seasons, I'll take a look
Virgin Atlantic