This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#962054 by mjb
28 Jul 2023, 12:11
Hi folks I know this topic can be a little controversial but I’m wondering if anyone has any experience with young children and travelling in UC? I’d be looking at 2 adults with our two children who will be 4 and 2 when we travel to MCO. The 4 year old will be coming up to 5 and I think will be fine my main concern is the 2 year old and how she might be during take off / landing? The configuration I’d be looking at is the A330 1-1-1 layout. We’d do everything we can to occupy her during the flight but it’s a toss up between playing it “safe” in PE or going for it in UC. I realise it won’t be the most relaxing flight in UC for us but would it be too difficult in a cabin where the seats can be quite isolated?

Thanks for any opinions on this.
#962055 by philsiu02
28 Jul 2023, 13:07
I don’t have kids, so I don’t have great insights on this, but I have travelled with young nieces and nephews in economy, and I’ve been in upper class where young kids have been present.

My take is that young kids really don’t get that much out of UC. It’s nice to have that luxury feel experience, but to young kids even economy can feel quite spacious and fun. The large IFE screens are nice, but young kids will want to play with their own toys or watch an ipad. I’ve also seen family’s complain about the UC food options available for children and how they won’t eat anything (understandable), and the crew have struggled to get them alternatives (I don’t know how common that is).

I’ve only flown the A350s UC where children have been present and this was OK for them as they could still sit next to a parent or a sibling, and it was relatively easy for the parent to get round them. I think for me, I’d be worried about how practical the 1-1-1 configuration is when it comes to simple things, like helping them eat, or just easily checking if they’re ok. If they’re likely to be scared during takeoff then the 1-1-1 really doesn’t leave a lot of room for helping them through that.

As I said, it’s just my take and you know your own kids so if you think they’ll be alright in UC then go for it but if it was me I’d opt for either PE, or at least see if there’s a UC flight on something with a 1-2-1 configuration.
#962056 by dmc
28 Jul 2023, 15:54
Similar to previous post, I don't have kids myself but have flown in UC when others have had young children with them, and when I've flown with my young nephews in the past it has been in Economy.

My advice would be to consider PE, especially if you can get 2 sets of window seats. It's much easier for them to see out the window than UC for a start, and you can be sat right next to them for the whole journey including takeoff and landing.

I recently flew in UC with the 1-1-1 config, where there were two young kids travelling with their parents in UC and the younger one was really quite distressed during taxiing and takeoff when he realised he couldn't sit with his dad - he kept removing the seatbelt and running over, with the cabin crew having to intervene.

The same thing happened during preparation for landing - the crew and parents had a really hard time getting him to stay in his seat with the seatbelt on. It's worth bearing in mind that the seatbelt sign can be on for a good while during taxi, takeoff and landing - and there's little you can do during that time if they get uncomfortable and you can't reach them.
#962057 by Janeclar
28 Jul 2023, 17:28
Definitely agree with everyone else - I have flown with grandchildren in PE and without in UC.
You would definitely be better with 2 pairs of PE window seats, where the children could see out. Not sure about UC children’s meals, but we definitely pre ordered a child meal in PE.
There is sufficient space to play on the floor in PE and if you could blag the bulkhead, this would give you even more space!
#962061 by mediamonkey
29 Jul 2023, 15:05
I’ve got two kids who are coming up to 4 and 6. We have been flying long haul with them since they were 2 weeks old. Minus a bit of a pandemic based gap obvs.

We have flown Upper and PE with Virgin and equivalent with BA and AA. To be very honest, it all depends on the kid and how you manage them. We are lucky that ours are very used to flying but also put in a playtime training routine with them leading up to the flights. So they know how to behave and what to expect and it all becomes a game for them and they’re comfortable with it.

We have had our most enjoyable flights in Business / Upper. Night flights are easy, we get them up early, make them sleepy, give them a melatonin then they sleep the whole flight.

Daytime. We find that they actually do slightly better in the more modern suites, closing the door on them keeps them contained! A mix of iPads and IFE, activities and snacks. They normally come sit with us for a bit in our seat and do colouring and activities and we often do a few laps round the plane.

When they were much younger PE was a little easier as we were closer to them of course and they would sleep on us, but it was a harder flight for us.

I find with all the newer business seats I’m able to lean forward and hold the hand of my kids if they’re opposite me and they lean forward or at the very least make eye contact with them.

Happy to help answer any further questions. But mainly try not to stress and try to ‘train’ them. It’ll be worth it!
Virgin Atlantic