This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#962079 by mitchja
27 Sep 2021, 08:41
…..been a long time since I last did this but hello from the 1903 lounge at MAN T2. Off to Barbados this morning. It’s been 19 months since I last stepped foot onboard any aircraft.

All the form filling in and testing has been worth it so far.

The new T2 is good so far. VS check-in desks are the original ones in the old part but everything else is new. Instead of heading up the stairs to security you now head to zone E in the new section.

The red security passport stickers are back as well :cool: VS are using them to show you have cleared the COVID-19 testing protocols before being checked in.

Priority security is in use and works well. Lots of security lanes but only a couple are open so far until the flights ramp back up.

The 1903 lounge is nice and a big step up from the old Escape+ lounge. There are only VS pax in here this morning so the lounge is not busy.

Parked in the west car park (which has been open a while now) and that is now by far the closest to the new terminal entrance. Departures is under a minute walk now connected using an indoor walkway from level 3 of the car park.

Great views of the airfield including at least 6 parked VS A/C.

I’ll post some pics later.
#962080 by Treelo
27 Sep 2021, 09:51
Thanks for that James, looking forward to the pics as and when.
BTW, where did you do your testing? We are off to the US in May - I reaslise things will probably change a few hundred times before then, but any info is good. ;-)
Thanks
John
#962081 by mitchja
27 Sep 2021, 10:02
I used ExpressTest as their nearest drive-thru is at Turf Moor Burnley football club as that’s only about 12 miles from where I live.

Barbados will only accept a full PCR test administered by a professional taking both a nose and throat swab up to 3 days before you travel. They don’t accept rapid PCR, any form of home testing, lateral flow tests or LAMP tests.

I paid £80 for mine minus a small Virgin discount. My test was 10:30 Friday morning and I got the results Saturday afternoon around 15:00.

ExpressTest includes both a standard test certificate and a fit to fly certificate as well.
#962086 by Murraymint
27 Sep 2021, 14:52
Have a great trip James.
We’re in Boston just now having taken the torturous route from Cyprus via Doha. PCR test in Cyprus was €25. In Boston it’s $175 (don’t even need it for Cyprus but transiting at LHR going back so need it for U.K.). Maybe cheaper ways to do it if we had organised it earlier.
#962088 by gumshoe
27 Sep 2021, 15:52
Murraymint wrote:PCR test in Cyprus was €25. In Boston it’s $175 (don’t even need it for Cyprus but transiting at LHR going back so need it for U.K.). Maybe cheaper ways to do it if we had organised it earlier.

If you’re just in transit at LHR and not staying in the UK, you don’t need a PCR test - just a lateral flow. You only need a PCR (for now) after landing if you’re staying in the UK.
#962089 by Murraymint
27 Sep 2021, 17:21
If you’re just in transit at LHR and not staying in the UK, you don’t need a PCR test - just a lateral flow. You only need a PCR (for now) after landing if you’re staying in the UK.[/quote]

We did look for the lateral flow tests but tbh most of them weren’t much cheaper and they were quoting up to 96 hours for the results. PCR for travel were pretty much the only ones which met the timeframes for taking and then getting the results.
#962096 by VS075
29 Sep 2021, 09:24
Hope you had a good flight. Good to see positive feedback about the 1903 lounge. What's your thoughts on the rest of the terminal, or did you not try much of it besides walking between the lounge and the gate?

One thing I noticed about the new T2 is that a lot of the food & drink outlets are run by local business instead of the big chains. For example, the Amber Alehouse bar is run by a Salford-based craft beer brewery.

For me at least, it's been 23 months since I last stepped foot on a plane.
#962098 by mitchja
29 Sep 2021, 10:56
As you mentioned, I didn’t pay much attention to the outlets in the new terminal as I just headed up to the 1903 lounge. Quite a few are still setting up / getting ready to open.

It’s a huge improvement though without any shadow of a doubt compared to the old T2 which was never very logically laid out IMHO.

I’m in the process of writing my TR, but they are still also using the old T2 gates (my flight departed from 206). Whilst the old gates are still in use, none of the outlets are there now in the ‘old’ section they are all boarded up. There’s nothing other than washrooms and gates in use now.

Not sure how long that will last for though as I believe the next phase of the project is to start renovations in that section.
#962100 by VS075
29 Sep 2021, 12:53
Look forward to reading the TR once ready. I think the layout became more illogical when they moved security from where the duty free shop used to be to above the check-in desks and therefore making the outlets that used to be landside all airside. For me, T3 remains the worst laid out terminal there, followed by the cramped T1 (and ironically it was when T1 was last redeveloped that contributed to T3's current layout).

Yes I had heard the same that the rest of the old T2 is next up for redevelopment now the new part is open. That makes sense about some outlets not being open yet given the COVID related delays and traffic still way off being back to what it was before.
#962124 by ColOrd
30 Sep 2021, 23:17
Hope you had a good flight, maybe the TR is posted and I havent got there yet as I have been off round the Outer Hebrides for a few days....
Virgin Atlantic