This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#962402 by flirble
18 Sep 2023, 11:01
we're flying home from the US in November with VS and had booked UC with points from MCO to LHR - we really didn't want to fly A330-300 but Tampa didn't have any UC availability for points so we couldn't book an A330-900neo with new shiny UC...

TPA became available so we switched out to TPA, nice new shiny UC on a once of a lifetime vacation - who wouldn't! but this morning I logged into our booking and it appears the aircraft has changed to an A330-300 from the originally scheduled A330-900neo which is a total bummer and will certainly put a downer on the end of the vacation - we literally despise this now ancient aircraft and every time we've been scheduled on one it has been a sub-par experience... highly disappointed this has happened :-( and after we'd switched to TPA specifically to avoid the A330-300 from MCO

The flight home in 'new' UC was to end our vacation on a high but now will be a very very low :-(
#962421 by ColOrd
19 Sep 2023, 18:38
I'm sorry but your post doesn't entirely make sense, you state that this is a once in a life time vacation, like you've never travelled business class before, so why are you assuming the 333 is a "very very low" point in it. Firstly, the 333 is as comfortable as any other aircraft. The Upper Class cabin was only refurbished on them in 2018. The Upper Class suite on the 787/330 has the best surface for sleeping, the biggest table to eat and work from and is very social for you and who you're flying with to enjoy each others company. There are flaws with the seat, but so there are with the 339.

If this trip is as special as you're making out, enjoy the amazing service, comfy seat and nice lie flat bed and the fact its a slightly different config shouldn't make a difference.
#962425 by VS075
19 Sep 2023, 22:11
At the end of the day, anybody who has been following VS in recent years knows it's unwise to book particular routes hoping to get a particular aircraft. Those days ended when the 747s were withdrawn. However, there are some routes that are more likely to be certain aircraft than others.

The A330-300s in Upper should still be in decent condition as the seats were only installed about 5 or so years ago and they were all stored during the various COVID lockdowns. The Economy and Premium cabins however, now they were in a tatty state last year.
#962434 by broono83
22 Sep 2023, 17:22
VS075 wrote:At the end of the day, anybody who has been following VS in recent years knows it's unwise to book particular routes hoping to get a particular aircraft. Those days ended when the 747s were withdrawn. However, there are some routes that are more likely to be certain aircraft than others.

The A330-300s in Upper should still be in decent condition as the seats were only installed about 5 or so years ago and they were all stored during the various COVID lockdowns. The Economy and Premium cabins however, now they were in a tatty state last year.

As I've said in a few posts, I think people are entitled to be disappointed with this particular A/C and route being changed as Virgin have heavily marketed the new route/new plane together. Fly from TPA on our new A339...

So it's fair to be peeved about it, although I agree it's within their T&Cs to do so. Personally I love the bar and got no interest in the new lofts etc but still gutted as I wanted to try virgins only "suite" experience and booked this route as such.
#962484 by mattyp
01 Oct 2023, 10:50
The UC on the 333 is just fine. You’ll still eat, drink, sleep, be very comfortable and generally have a great experience.

First world problems…
#962485 by Kraken
01 Oct 2023, 11:54
Having done both the new UC seat (on a 350-1000) and the old UC seat on my return on a 330-300 on an recent Orlando trip (and on many an Orlando trip on the 747's over the years)... the old seat wins hands-down for me. Yes, it is a bit of a dated design, but it's better in my book.

Too many niggles with the new seat design in my opinion - specifically;
Seat has to be locked upright in a prison style "straight jacket" setting for take-off and landing
IFE screen has to be locked away for take-off and landing so the tail-cam & wheel cam are all but useless
Tray table locks you into the seat - on the old UC seat you could slide it forward & just get out if you're not too big
No ottoman - so dining with a partner / friend is impossible
They are the ones that come to mind instantly - I actively hope we don't get a switch to a 330-900 on our December Orlando trip - unlikely, but you never know with VS.
#962486 by CommanderB
01 Oct 2023, 16:20
Kraken wrote:Having done both the new UC seat (on a 350-1000) and the old UC seat on my return on a 330-300 on an recent Orlando trip (and on many an Orlando trip on the 747's over the years)... the old seat wins hands-down for me. Yes, it is a bit of a dated design, but it's better in my book.

Too many niggles with the new seat design in my opinion - specifically;
Seat has to be locked upright in a prison style "straight jacket" setting for take-off and landing
IFE screen has to be locked away for take-off and landing so the tail-cam & wheel cam are all but useless
Tray table locks you into the seat - on the old UC seat you could slide it forward & just get out if you're not too big
No ottoman - so dining with a partner / friend is impossible
They are the ones that come to mind instantly - I actively hope we don't get a switch to a 330-900 on our December Orlando trip - unlikely, but you never know with VS.

Couldn't agree more, Kraken. I plan my travel to stay on the 789s because of the A350 seat issues. I'm lucky that my routes are usually 789 routes or 333 occasionally.
#962494 by David1946
02 Oct 2023, 21:13
Just flown MAN-IAH with Singapore. The Business class layout is 1 directly behind another with the storage area by the window. The seat is larger than the VS ones with generous leg room. However if you want to put your feet up you have to sit at an angle. At night you sleep diagonally towards the window. Once the table is up it is a very tight squeeze to get out, if not practically impossible. I much prefer the VS A333 with the pouffe and the ability to slide the table.
Virgin Atlantic