This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#963046 by mitchja
29 Dec 2023, 11:59
Off to Fort Lauderdale again for the New Year via ATL on the VS109. The 1903 lounge is pretty quiet this morning though the lounge is starting to fill up now. Priority security was a breeze again (still no signs of any of these new 3D scanners yet).

Looks like we are departing from gate 204 so no remote stand this time :)

As the VS flight is a reward booking, I’ve had to book the DL flights separately (as revenue flights) so my bag is not checked all the way through to FLL. Done this several time before as it’s almost as easy as there are DL check-in desks opposite the transfer bag drop area at ATL anyway.
#963047 by Kraken
29 Dec 2023, 12:39
Good to hear that....
A) It is possible to have a good experience of MAN security Fastrack - normally it's Slowtrack as they merge Fastrack with the special assistance screening lane.
B) The 1903 Lounge is quiet.

Enjoy the brisk walk to gate 204 when the flight is called. Have a safe journey & a good New Year in FLL. Looks like you've got VGEM, same aircraft that took us to Florida earlier in the month (& how we wish we were still there!)
#963051 by mitchja
29 Dec 2023, 15:56
Onboard WiFi working well. Spectacular crew on today’s flight. I’m being treated like royalty :cool:

221 pax, 10 crew and 2 flight deck crew onboard todays flight.

Pre-ordered the express soup and toastie option again followed by the millionaire’s deluxe chocolate desert. All very nice and tasty.

Looks like VERA IFE has also had a bit of a software update as the interface is different since I last flew in November.
#963053 by David1946
29 Dec 2023, 22:04
Enjoy your trip.

As an aside we fly out on the VS109 in early February. As in the past we are overnighting at the Radisson Blue so will be in the airport early. Is there a time limit on using the lounge with the flight now not leaving until 1pm
#963054 by Joshl257
29 Dec 2023, 23:17
Thanks for sharing James let us know what the load factor was because I use VS109/110 throughout the year. It’s always a good indication of how VS are doing given all connections in ATL. I flew out 2 weeks ago and VS were using the 204 206 gates. I do wish Virgin would move back to the old departure time of 10:30 because not many people get connections on the VS75/76 flights. They are really good in ATL concourse F I had a 45 minute connection one time to Tampa and they held the plane. Haven’t had the chance to experience the Porsche grand transfer yet.
#963056 by mitchja
30 Dec 2023, 00:40
There were just 6 empty seats in Upper (all used by the crew for crew rest).

No limits for lounge entry time if you are using the lounge via an airline cabin or status. It’s only paid entry pax that get the 3hr limit. In all honesty though you wouldn’t want to be in there for more than 3hrs anyway.

Yep, the later VS ATL arrival time does mean you are starting to run out of connection options.
#963057 by David1946
30 Dec 2023, 07:48
Thanks James for the info. I fully agree on the late departure affecting transfer passengers. Next February we are having to overnight at ATL as the only connection to Fort Myers lands there at 00.25 and car hire closes at 00.30!!!! We have used this route since 1997 when DL operated it and it always left mid morning and most people were travelling on to other destinations.
#963058 by matt.hibb
30 Dec 2023, 10:51
mitchja wrote:Priority security was a breeze again (still no signs of any of these new 3D scanners yet).

I went through T2 a couple of weeks ago and didn't have to remove anything at all from my bag; not even liquids. The scanner looked cylindrical I think if I remember right. I assume that was a "new scanner"?
#963059 by VS075
30 Dec 2023, 16:22
matt.hibb wrote:
mitchja wrote:Priority security was a breeze again (still no signs of any of these new 3D scanners yet).

I went through T2 a couple of weeks ago and didn't have to remove anything at all from my bag; not even liquids. The scanner looked cylindrical I think if I remember right. I assume that was a "new scanner"?

I guess that might be the new type of scanner. As well as not taking liquids out of your bag, I believe it will also mean an easing of the 100ml liquid limits from next year. That only applies to UK airports though, I think outside the UK the 100ml limit will remain, particularly at those airports that don't have the new scanners.
Virgin Atlantic