This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#953818 by Jaydun
17 Jan 2020, 10:11
Hi

Do any of the Meet and Greet Parking Operators at Heathrow work in conjunction with the the Upper Class Wing Drop Off Facility?
I usually drive to the airport myself, drop the car in the short term car park where Maple or Purple Parking etc take over but would like to know if any of them offer the service where they will collect the car from you at the drop off (or Drive you through it after they have meet you elsewhere) ?
Alternatively we were considering booking a hotel and parking package (direct with a hotel) and getting a taxi from there to the Drop Off. I know this can be done but my question here would be do any of the hotels offer Parking where your car would be brought to the terminal on return? (Similar to what the Marriott Courtyard does at Gatwick).

Thanks in Advance for your advice.
#953820 by matt.hibb
17 Jan 2020, 10:53
Purple Parking used to offer this service. But they had financial difficulties a couple of years back and were bought by Holiday Extras I believe. Since then, meet and greet parking has not been available at the upper wing. It's a real shame it's gone IMHO. A while back, I did find a company or 2 that would apparently meet you somewhere near the airport, driver would join you for the rest of the journey and then drive the car away once you're checked in. But I decided not to pursue that idea because I couldn't get comfortable with the companies I found. Plus it wasn't exactly the most convenient solution.

Can't help on the hotel package I'm afraid.
#953822 by Jaydun
17 Jan 2020, 16:07
Thank you for the response.

We have decided to stay at a hotel local to LHR and buy meet and greet parking leaving the car at T3 before getting a taxi back to the hotel for the night Returning in the morning again by taxi to use the Upper Class Wing Drop Off.
#953827 by chumba
17 Jan 2020, 21:53
I’ve used DTCI dropped everyone and bags off, got checked in, then drove out straight into the LHR valet parking lane and left the car with them for parking. Then just walked back into the terminal up the lift and through to the private security channel where I met everyone. Only took a couple of minutes and still gives the DTCI experience. LHR valet wasn’t that much more expensive than off site. Done this a couple of times.

The only other way would be to ask the meet and greet company if you can meet the driver kerbside, pick them up drive round the one way into DTCI and they take the car from you there. I did this once too, can’t remember the company I used,
#953840 by mikethe3rd
18 Jan 2020, 21:10
Rotty wrote:I use one of the "park on my drive" folks and they they take you through DTCI

Used same bloke several times and he's really good, drop me a message if you want contact info

I’m on mobile and can’t find a way to message you. Would you mind sending me the details please? What happens on the return?
#953861 by Rotty
20 Jan 2020, 10:48
mikethe3rd wrote:
Rotty wrote:I use one of the "park on my drive" folks and they they take you through DTCI

Used same bloke several times and he's really good, drop me a message if you want contact info

I’m on mobile and can’t find a way to message you. Would you mind sending me the details please? What happens on the return?

messaged you

he picks you up on return
#963489 by CJac
10 Jan 2022, 12:42
Hi. We’re flying Virgin Upper Class in April and are looking for a Meet and Greet company who could drop us at the Upper Class suite. We did this once before with DriveFly but they don’t seem to be operating any more. Can anyone suggest any other Meet and Greet operators who could do this please? Alternatively I see Rotty suggests a “park on my drive” person - can anyone recommend anyone/send me a suggestion please? I can’t seem to message Rotty direct.
#963551 by gumshoe
13 Jan 2022, 13:30
steveb wrote:Sorry to hijack this thread. Can I ask an additional question?

Is it possible to walk to the UC wing? Have booked the on-site T2 hotel so wondering if I can just walk from there?

Doubt it - and I’m not sure why you’d want to. Using the normal UC check-in still gets you access to the wing security channel which is the main benefit.

Far easier to use the pedestrian tunnel from T2 to T3 which pops you up right outside VS check-in.
#963553 by Q_Division
13 Jan 2022, 14:39
steveb wrote:Sorry to hijack this thread. Can I ask an additional question?

Is it possible to walk to the UC wing? Have booked the on-site T2 hotel so wondering if I can just walk from there?

Not that I know of. As gumshoe says you can use normal UC check-in and the private security channel. We did exactly that on our last flight.
#963554 by Q_Division
13 Jan 2022, 14:43
Bluebear wrote:Hi -
just as an aside -
Do you still have to pay Heathrow drop off charges if using the Upper Class Wing drop off?
thanks

I'm not sure (someone may know) but I have a suspicion you might have to as the way out (as in after the UC drop off) is through the "normal" drop off area.
#963557 by flyingfox
13 Jan 2022, 16:19
Bluebear wrote:Hi -
just as an aside -
Do you still have to pay Heathrow drop off charges if using the Upper Class Wing drop off?
thanks

No the VS Upper Class drop off wing is specifically exempted from the drop of charge. However my Uber driver last month tried to charge it automatically so keep an eye out.
#963559 by ColOrd
13 Jan 2022, 17:35
I use Gett the app for London black cabs and they are similarly charging a £5 Drop off fee at places around LHR where it doesn’t apply! I have so far challenged each one and got it refunded in seconds.
#963627 by Q_Division
19 Jan 2022, 10:02
Bluebear wrote:Just an update.
Had a note from Virgin confirming that from 1st Feb 2022 LHR drop off £5 charge will apply to drivers/passengers using the wing.

Boo! Sadly not that unsurprising but still disappointing. I wonder if they will ever update the website to reflect that.

Thanks for sharing though.
#963678 by gumshoe
24 Jan 2022, 21:49
classybird wrote:When being dropped off by taxi/private hire car at the UC wing, how, when and who pays the £5 LHR drop off charge?

The cab firm or driver will pay the actual charge to HAL, but expect it to be passed on to you via an addition to your fare.
#963680 by flyingfox
24 Jan 2022, 22:07
There is still some confusion as I dropped my brother at the wing on Sunday and the VS agent made a point of saying that the £5 charge was not payable, I mentioned that it had been suggested that from the 1st Feb it was going to be applicable, she said she was unaware so I emailed the HAL today and this was the response;

Good afternoon
Thank you for your email.
When you arrive at London Heathrow, ask your driver to turn left before the usual T3 drop off location, following the 'Virgin Upper Class Wing' sign. At the top of the ramp, ask your driver to park in one of the bays. A member of staff will meet you and take you through the Wing to the Clubhouse. The £5 drop off charge only applies to customers who are being dropped off at the main T3 designated drop off zones. We are unaware of any changes however we recommend you continue to check for any updates on our website https://www.heathrow.com
#963682 by OCdreamin
25 Jan 2022, 10:44
We used Parker Cars in December to take us to VUCW from Hilton Garden Inn at T3; they added the drop-off fee on top of the original fare quotation. I challenged this, but they insisted that when the car leaves the UCW it would be picked up by the camera. I was very sceptical but had no way of disputing this further, and they had already taken the payment on my card.
Whether the statement about the charge is true or not, I consider £29.60 to be an unjustified fare for such a short distance, and would not use Parker Cars again!
Virgin Atlantic