This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#965708 by catsilversword
16 Aug 2022, 17:56
Hi,

Has anyone used this:

https://visitortollpass.com/

Looks like a good solution to tolls in Florida, but am interested to hear if anyone has actually used it, and what you thought of it?
#965712 by Murraymint
16 Aug 2022, 20:58
Yes, we used it in April this year. Very easy to use by following the instructions. Pick it up from the kiosk beside the car hire desks and hang it from the rear view mirror. It activates as you leave the garage (and emails you to confirm), then just drive through the tolls using the pass lanes. You can track each day’s spend on the app. After handing the car back, there are drop boxes to leave the pass at the airport and the final bill is charged to the nominated CC within 3 days. Each toll is also cheaper when using the pass.
#965717 by Kraken
17 Aug 2022, 10:43
Have never used it personally as the only tolls we incur in Florida are normally on SR-528 going from / to the airport - so it's just easier to drive down the Cash lane on those two occasions and pay the toll.

In the past when we've rented a car from a few different companies, quite a few of them already have a tag in, or the licence plate is registered for E-Pass tolling. I seem to remember with Avis the charge was $2 per day you actually used it (i.e. incurrecd a toll charge) + the toll. There was a daily cap on the tolls you would be charged, so if making long trip on a toll road it could work out cheaper. Can't remember what the cap wa, as we didn't use the service - again we just paid cash on the SR-528 (as I think the toll was $2.25 back then, so not worth paying $2 + the toll via Avis). NB: This was at least 5yrs ago with Avis.

I guess it's quite possible that the car rental companies saw the admin side of E-tolling / tags just too much hassle, as it could not have been a big money maker. Maybe they are just happy to let Visitor Toll Pass hoover up this bit of business.
#965726 by AlecK
17 Aug 2022, 16:56
We've used it three times now, it's a no brainer if you are out and about a bit on the toll roads.
#965727 by mikethe3rd
17 Aug 2022, 17:02
We bought a SunPass transponder from Publix, a long time before this. I’d still recommend this approach if you’re travelling frequently and in and out of various FL airports. Note: you will need 3/4/5G or wifi to update your license plate in your online account.

That said, this does look superb! Just a shame it’s only MCO-MCO currently.
#965728 by NorthernLad
17 Aug 2022, 18:46
VTP are very good at responding [email protected] and gave me the following
reply ,after our signal was poor, about having to enter the licence plate before you leave the airport.
The next time we just didnt bother entering the plate and it was fine.
(You still would need to update it yourself if you had a subsequent change of car)

1. We apologize you found this difficult in the garage, we advise customers to do this but it is not mandatory as long as you are getting your car from the airport. The gantry when you exit will assign the license plate to the account but we advise people to enter it manually to ensure it is 100% done.

2. If you encounter any extra tolls from your rental company, please send us an itemized bill with your account info and we will assist.

We find the journey much smoother with VTP especially since you do not have to rejoin 'the racetrack' after each toll booth.
#965729 by Lindsk
17 Aug 2022, 20:50
We have used this for our past 2 holidays in Orlando (to the surrounding beaches for example) and I can’t recommend it enough.

So easy to use, saves us time and money, It’s free - just order, collect at MCO, register your car on the app, and hang on your mirror. Paying this way is cheaper than paying cash at the tolls (not a huge amount but still, every little helps) and the people at the Sun Pass at MCO are really helpful. Even I found it easy :D
#965752 by catsilversword
21 Aug 2022, 16:26
Lindsk wrote:We have used this for our past 2 holidays in Orlando (to the surrounding beaches for example) and I can’t recommend it enough.

So easy to use, saves us time and money, It’s free - just order, collect at MCO, register your car on the app, and hang on your mirror. Paying this way is cheaper than paying cash at the tolls (not a huge amount but still, every little helps) and the people at the Sun Pass at MCO are really helpful. Even I found it easy :D

Does Mco have free wifi? Otherwise, wouldn’t be able to open to app to scan QR code and get pass from the machine?
#965753 by Murraymint
21 Aug 2022, 17:55
catsilversword wrote:
Lindsk wrote:We have used this for our past 2 holidays in Orlando (to the surrounding beaches for example) and I can’t recommend it enough.

Does Mco have free wifi? Otherwise, wouldn’t be able to open to app to scan QR code and get pass from the machine?

Yes, MCO has free WiFi
#965868 by catsilversword
03 Sep 2022, 09:30
Do you have to wait until you get to the airport to generate the QR code? I’ve just made a reservation for the pass and it doesn’t mention if you can do this in advance. I’m just probably overthinking it - but just would prefer to do it if possible in advance, in case wifi isn’t working as it should at MCO!
#965871 by Murraymint
03 Sep 2022, 09:44
From memory I think you can generate the code at any time (assume it’s the same code that gets generated from your reservation). In fact it may be held on your device anyway.
When we were there, there was a staffed desk beside the kiosk anyway to help.
#965906 by ColH
05 Sep 2022, 18:47
This is a very easy way to pay the tolls, and drive through the pass lanes instead of stopping, obviously. Can't recommend it enough.
#965990 by G-VFABulous
14 Sep 2022, 14:37
Yep, thanks to this forum we also used the visitor toll pass during our stay in Orlando (19Aug-2Sept) and totally agree it is really easy to pick-up and use; we saved so much time (and a bit of money) zooming through the many toll lanes in the area. App works really well, links your pass to your licence plate on your first drive through a toll lane. All very efficient.
Virgin Atlantic