This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#903456 by catsilversword
18 May 2015, 16:56
Just been looking at transfer option at LHR - we will need to go from terminal 5 (BA) to terminal 1 (for the VS flight). The options seem to be either tube or express bus - Does anyone know which is the best option to take? I can see the tube takes 16 minutes and the bus 20, but how often do they run? we have 2.5 hours between flights....
#903457 by Bretty
18 May 2015, 17:24
catsilversword wrote:Just been looking at transfer option at LHR - we will need to go from terminal 5 (BA) to terminal 1 (for the VS flight). The options seem to be either tube or express bus - Does anyone know which is the best option to take? I can see the tube takes 16 minutes and the bus 20, but how often do they run? we have 2.5 hours between flights....

You'll want T3 for VS flights, and you can use H'EX between terminals for free, in which case every 15 minutes. Tube would be every few minutes too.
#903461 by tontybear
18 May 2015, 18:03
The tube is also free BUT you still need to touch in/out with either an oyster card or contactless debit/credit card.
#903462 by gumshoe
18 May 2015, 18:22
If you're simply connecting between flights and your luggage is checked through, you don't need to go landside (unless the long haul flight is the next day). Once you get off the plane at T5, follow the purple Flight Connections signs which will take you to the airside shuttle bus to T3 (free, every 5-10 mins). On arrival at T3 simply clear security, stop by the VS transfer desk so they know you're there and head for the Clubhouse/shops/restaurants/gate.

If you do decide to go landside you'll need to clear immigration & customs at T5 and get to T3 under your own steam using the tube or preferably the Heathrow Express (a train, not a bus - free between terminals). But unless you have a reason to go landside - meeting someone or picking up luggage for instance - I wouldn't.
#903476 by RyanJW
18 May 2015, 19:58
I would agree with gumshoe. With a relatively short connection time (for full clubhouse enjoyment :P) I would stick with the Flight Connection Buses. I've done an lot of ex-EU trips in the past 12 months and its really simple and easy to do.
#903494 by honey lamb
18 May 2015, 21:44
Definitely FCC.

When I was transferring from LHR to LGW, there was a family transferring from T3 to T5. The bus driver maintained it was quicker, which in terms of travel times may well have been true but the frequency was a little less than the train.
#903717 by oceanscape
21 May 2015, 22:18
We flew EX-BRU and even though our LHR-BRU flight was the day AFTER our flight to LHR the LAX check-in agent still tagged bags through to BRU!!!

Thankfully I noticed just in time and she re-tagged to LHR after I explained we needed the bags for our layover. What would have happened if we never noticed? Would they have been delivered to LHR anyway due to the BRU flight being the following day? I was surprised she was even able to print the tags to BRU given the timings?.?.?
Virgin Atlantic