This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#946874 by getinjonathan
05 Nov 2018, 14:07
ColOrd wrote:As much as Byers, might have the normal corporate hyperbole, looking at the seat map config on ExpertFlyer really leads me to believe that all three cabins will be a Virgin branded version of what DL have done with their 350-9s. I imagine it to have more sparkle, and a bit more pizzaz, but generally I can't see it being much of a revolution!

I've flown the DL Suite from Detroit to Seoul, and I'd be extremely disappointed if VS took this suite. Byers mentions it will be revolutionary... I'd like to believe this is not corporate hyperbole and that VS have developed something game changing much like they did with the Herringbone suite all those years ago. DL advertised its suite as revolutionary when Jet Blue were flying a similar product years previously with its Mint product.

When this JV was conceived, it was made crystal clear that VS and DL would remain completely different products, and that VS wouldn't turn into DL. Byers said the cabin would feel warm.. with closed suites, the DL One Suite cabin did not feel warm at all.

I'm remaining optimistic we'll get a brand new product and not some VS version of something that already exists.
#946878 by LREDI
05 Nov 2018, 17:04
SlimpyJones wrote:Does the seatmap indicate the PE layout? Is it 2-4-2 as per Delta?

It is indeed the same 2/4/2. I’d put money on the same VS seat as what’s going on the A332 refit. That combined with a DL Suite with a bit of VS colour splashed all over it. Add in pink and purple lights.

You’ve got something that they’d call revolutionary versus the current J seat.

The bigger question I think is... will there be a bar...
Last edited by LREDI on 05 Nov 2018, 17:08, edited 1 time in total.
#946880 by SlimpyJones
05 Nov 2018, 17:06
I thought it would be. It seems to be the common layout for true PE. According to comrade Joeyc the A350 is only 40cm narrower than the 747s, which is also 2-4-2 in PE, so it is not all that surprising.
#946881 by LREDI
05 Nov 2018, 17:10
Remember the cabin is also much larger than the 787. Hence a DL Suite could fit whereas it wouldn’t fit on other aircraft types. Hence no refit of the 787... join the dots and the picture does become clear. Also VS will bet that BA regardless of their bluster wont innovate as much as a closed door suite...
#946886 by ColOrd
06 Nov 2018, 00:01
Just went to book it.

Seat map changes from a 350-1000 to a 333 when trying to do so. I rang VS and apparently it was a “trial” to check it worked on the GDS as a 351! The guy was pretty clear “DO NOT BOOK IT IF YOU WANT THE INAUGURAL!”
#946890 by CommanderB
06 Nov 2018, 12:53
I believe it's already confirmed that it is NOT the DL suite Virginised on the 351 and 332. Which I am kind of disappointed by, because that's what I predicated many months ago.

The cabin mockups clearly show a seat more akin to the Virgin Australia layout, which is the BAE Super Diamond seat product.

So unless something has changed...
#946908 by getinjonathan
07 Nov 2018, 15:40
CommanderB wrote:I believe it's already confirmed that it is NOT the DL suite Virginised on the 351 and 332. Which I am kind of disappointed by, because that's what I predicated many months ago.

The cabin mockups clearly show a seat more akin to the Virgin Australia layout, which is the BAE Super Diamond seat product.

So unless something has changed...

If that is true then I am VERY excited.
#946915 by stuart_f
07 Nov 2018, 22:27
CommanderB wrote:]The cabin mockups clearly show a seat more akin to the Virgin Australia layout

Link to the 351 cabin mockup please!
#946916 by getinjonathan
07 Nov 2018, 23:34
stuart_f wrote:
CommanderB wrote:]The cabin mockups clearly show a seat more akin to the Virgin Australia layout

Link to the 351 cabin mockup please!

Unlikely.

It’s the Qatar A350 seat adbavced and modified by Virgin. If that’s the case, we will all be so so happy. Best business seat I’ve ever flown.
#946918 by CommanderB
08 Nov 2018, 10:39
It’s the Qatar A350 seat adbavced and modified by Virgin. If that’s the case, we will all be so so happy. Best business seat I’ve ever flown.

The Qatar seat is the Super Diamond seat, albeit modified (like almost everyone does), just like Virgin Australia.
#946929 by PaulS
08 Nov 2018, 21:33
That will be interesting as the rumour is BA have gone for the Qatar seat but with doors fitted as their new CW on the 350
#946943 by cheesebag
09 Nov 2018, 09:22
I do hope its a modification of Qatar. My son now teaches there and done quire a few trips in their business... superb product... My fave by far
#947092 by SlimpyJones
20 Nov 2018, 10:49
Looks like the spreadsheet has been updated to show that the second A350 is now under construction. Still no sign of the first coming off the assembly line!
#947254 by SlimpyJones
28 Nov 2018, 12:05
Another new name - G-VPOP

It's not clear if this will be the second or third A350 as one of the test frames being converted to a customer model is going to VS. Just not sure which order yet!
#947262 by Hamster
28 Nov 2018, 23:57
getinjonathan wrote:I've flown the DL Suite from Detroit to Seoul, and I'd be extremely disappointed if VS took this suite. Byers mentions it will be revolutionary... I'd like to believe this is not corporate hyperbole and that VS have developed something game changing much like they did with the Herringbone suite all those years ago. DL advertised its suite as revolutionary when Jet Blue were flying a similar product years previously with its Mint product.

They are nearly the same seat, JetBlue Mint is the Thompson Vantage seat, Delta is the Thompson VantageXL seat.

Qatar Q-suite is a unique seat, not based on an off the shelf model - have heard they wont be ordering any more (after whats already been ordered) after falling out with the manufacturer?

I think its highly likely to see the Zodiac Cirrus seat on Virgin

CommanderB wrote:The cabin mockups clearly show a seat more akin to the Virgin Australia layout

What cabin mockups?
#947400 by ColOrd
06 Dec 2018, 22:48
ColOrd wrote:Just went to book it.

Seat map changes from a 350-1000 to a 333 when trying to do so. I rang VS and apparently it was a “trial” to check it worked on the GDS as a 351! The guy was pretty clear “DO NOT BOOK IT IF YOU WANT THE INAUGURAL!”

SimplyJones^
#947901 by mikethe3rd
04 Jan 2019, 23:10
A potential delay to all future A350's:

https://www.airlive.net/fire-at-major-s ... roduction/

"Premium Aerotec is a fabricator of composite parts and structures for the aerospace market, primarily for Airbus (Toulouse, France) producing completed fuselage and aircraft sections for Airbus defense and commercial offerings, including the A400M, Eurofighter Typhoon and A350.

The company estimates at least €10 million ($11.4 million USD) in damage has been caused. The source of the fire is currently under investigation. No employees were in the building at the time of the fire.

According to a report in the Wichita Business Journal, a spokesperson at Airbus indicated that Premium Aerotec plans to transfer work to other locations to avoid supply disruptions.

As a consequence of this fire, Airbus has been left in a difficult position as they state “virtually all Airbus models” will now be delayed. With Premium Aerotec being a tier-one supplier for Airbus, the company has no choice but to accept the delays and scramble their backup plans into place.

In statements to media, Airbus has outlined the delays could last several months before parts at the Augsburg plant could be completed and installed into aircraft pieces."

Whilst I appreciate €10 million damage to my home would magically increase its value somewhat, I can't imagine €10m is that much damage to Premium Aerotec. It also states "transfer work to other locations to avoid supply disruptions" so the whole article is somewhat of a contradiction. I'm just the messenger...
#947905 by McMaddog
04 Jan 2019, 23:19
Well 2 of VS’s are structurally complete and the 3rd is in the middle of body join so at least the first 3 won’t be at all affected
#947909 by jakedonson
05 Jan 2019, 00:37
Just what VS need now with the 787 engine problem, leased a332s and trying to juggle retirement of 747s and a340s. At least they have 2 of the airframes already built. Does anyone know if VS are set to order anymore a350s or aircraft because currently they have 12 a350s on order which are set to replace the 747s and a340s which totals to 15, so there would be a capacity decrease in there somewhere. Also, do we know how many seats are going to be on these a350s because wikipedia currently states a total of 335- 44 upper, 56 premium(!) and 235 economy.
#947910 by ColOrd
05 Jan 2019, 00:55
My suspicion is that we will see the 332s retained possibly longer term than the 4 years. I don't see how they can maintain their massive Orlando business for which I believe they have the biggest market share and not keep them?
#947913 by jakedonson
05 Jan 2019, 02:09
Unfortunately i think you're probably right. Do you think the a340s will be the first to go and then the 747s because id imagine they'd want to keep for the for as long as possible for the Orlando route, especially given that there are no other aircraft to match capacity. I'd be really curious to see what they do with Orlando because doubling up on frequencies seems less efficient then operating a single 747, not to mention fleet availability given that some days they already operate 4 daily frequencies (2 MAN, 2 LGW) using 747s.
Virgin Atlantic