This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#961666 by roadrunner
14 Aug 2021, 03:08
VIR75L wrote:I’m of the opposite opinion, get me out there as soon as, but there we go.

From someone who had COVID last year, now double vaccinated, I’m ready to live my life again.

I’ll stick to the rules (and still wear a mask here in the UK for the benefit of others), I’ll jump through hoops, but after 2, soon to be 3 cancelled trips, and a UK ‘holiday’ in June, I’m personally ‘done’ with living in fear.

Florida, Texas and the Deep South are hostage to the Delta variant with a new one now breaking ground. I totally get needing a holiday but personally I'd stay far away from states where the governors have declared masking as illegal and hospital CoVid cases are back to terrifying numbers.
#961667 by arawnsley
14 Aug 2021, 08:59
I've a 4 Sep reservation on VS105 LHR-SEA and this now seems to have been withdrawn from sale. I suspect a cacellation is looming but the VS trade update that mitchja posted advises to 31 Aug only?? The return VS106 on 11 Sep is still on sale.

The trip has been cancelled and rebooked once already. I think I'll request an open ticket.....

Andy

mitchja wrote:Latest update from VS Trade:

We are reducing frequencies on several routes, however to ensure impacted passengers can continue with their travel plans, they will be reprotected to the most suitable alternative departure.

Where a flight is cancelled, and due to limited operations to these destinations, there will be no reprotection option available.

Cancellations

Effective until & including

USA

LHR-MCO 15 Sep
MAN-MCO 15 Sep
LHR-LAS 31 Aug
LHR-IAD 31 Aug
LHR-SEA 31 Aug
LHR-SFO 31 Aug
#961669 by mitchja
14 Aug 2021, 15:38
I've just changed my MAN>JFK flight in September to LHR>NAS in early December which is very easy and straight forward. Whilst the call centre mentioned wait times in excess of 60 mins, I spoke to a very nice professional agent and everything was all done and dusted in around 15 mins.

I had to pay the fare difference but was more than happy to do that. My online booking updated straight away and I've already been re-ticketed.
#961672 by flyingfox
14 Aug 2021, 16:47
Got my LAS cancellation email yesterday and filled in the form ( booked rewards seats in the 50% Black Friday sale last November) to rebook to the same destination next year, there were no reward seats but they still booked me into my preferred dates and received all the confirmations within 12 hours. Very pleased VS have developed a policy for the reward seat sale bookings, got another trip to LAS in October so I hope that goes ahead.
#961720 by mitchja
19 Aug 2021, 10:26
Latest update from VS Trade:

It continues to be a dynamic time for international travel with ongoing travel restrictions to and from many of the countries we operate to.

As a result of ongoing travel restrictions from the UK to the US, we have pushed back the restart of some transatlantic flights, including our Orlando services from London Heathrow and Manchester and Las Vegas services from Heathrow.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience caused to our customers and look forward to returning to these destinations as soon as possible. World-leading vaccination programmes in both countries means the transatlantic corridor can safely open in both directions and we continue to urge the UK Government to go further and move the US to the UK’s ‘Green list’ and for the Biden administration to repeal the 212F proclamation, which currently prevents UK visitors from entering the US.

As a result of the fast-moving travel environment, we continue to make schedule changes which will affect our Flying Programme for the coming weeks.
We are reducing frequencies on several routes, however to ensure impacted passengers can continue with their travel plans, they will be reprotected to the most suitable alternative departure.
Where a flight is cancelled, and due to limited operations to these destinations

Cancellations Effective until & including

USA
LHR-MCO 22 Sep
MAN-MCO 22 Sep
LHR-LAS 7 Sep
LHR-SFO 7 Sep
MAN-ATL 7 Sep
MAN-JFK 7 Sep

We are also making some frequency updates for August on selected routes. We will provide schedules for September as soon as details become available and will continue to keep our website up to date with all the latest updates to schedule and travel restrictions.

During August we plan to maintain operations on the following routes, subject to late changes:

Our flying programme

USA
LHR-ATL-LHR 12-22 Aug, 4 per week 23-31 Aug, 5 per week
LHR-BOS-LHR 3 per week
LHR-JFK-LHR 14 per week
LHR-LAX-LHR 7 per week
LHR-MIA-LHR 3 per week

Caribbean
LHR-BGI-LHR 7 per week
LHR-MBJ-LHR 3 per week
LHR-ANU-LHR 3 per week
LHR-GND-LHR (via BGI) 2 per week
MAN-BGI-MAN 3 per week

South Africa
LHR-JNB-LHR 3 per week

India
LHR-BOM-LHR 3 per week
LHR-DEL-LHR 2 per week

Pakistan
LHR-LHE-LHR 2 per week
LHR-ISB-LHR 3 per week

Hong Kong
LHR-HKG 2 per week from 28 Aug
HKG-LHR 7 per week

Nigeria
LHR-LOS-LHR 7 per week

Israel
LHR-TLV-LHR 5 per week
Our partners are also back in the skies, and here's a reminder of where they are flying long-haul from the UK.

Our partner Delta Air Lines flying programme
LHR-ATL-LlHR Daily
LHR-JFK-LHR 5 per week

#961724 by arawnsley
19 Aug 2021, 23:25
Interesting that the update from VS Trade that mitchja posted does not mention LHR - SEA, I wonder if this route is to be abandoned by VS and left on DL metal?

I got the cancellation email today for VS105 on 4 Sep, totally expected!

Andy
#961725 by VS075
20 Aug 2021, 09:32
arawnsley wrote:Interesting that the update from VS Trade that mitchja posted does not mention LHR - SEA, I wonder if this route is to be abandoned by VS and left on DL metal?

I got the cancellation email today for VS105 on 4 Sep, totally expected!

Andy

At this stage and given the continued presence of the proclamation, it's probably too early to be reading in to whether routes to the USA in particular have been abandoned for good. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if one or two don't come back or if there's a thinning of frequencies to other American destinations if the recent flurry of new routes diversifying away from the USA are a success. The pandemic has shown VS wasn't right to put most of their eggs in one basket (the UK-US market).
#961764 by flyingfox
26 Aug 2021, 11:33
Update from VS Trade

Cancellations

USA
LHR-MCO 29 Sep
MAN-MCO 29 Sep
LHR-LAS 14 Sep
LHR-SFO 14 Sep
LHR-IAD 14 Sep
LHR-SEA 14 Sep
MAN-ATL 14 Sep
MAN-JFK 14 Sep
MAN-ISB 14 Sep

Bookings affected by these changes will be updated on Saturday 28 August 2021

We are also making some frequency updates for September on selected routes. We will continue to keep our website up to date with all the latest updates to schedule and travel restrictions.
During September we plan to maintain operations on the following routes, subject to late changes:

Our flying programme

USA
LHR-ATL-LHR 1-5 Sep, 4 per week 6-30 Sep, 7 per week
LHR-BOS-LHR 1-5 Sep, 3 per week 6-30 Sep, 4 per week
LHR-JFK-LHR 1-12 Sep, 14 per week 13-30 Sep, 17 per week
LHR-LAX-LHR 1-12 Sep, 7 per week 13-19 Sep, 10 per week 20-30 Sep, 11 per week
LHR-MIA-LHR 3 per week
LHR-SFO-LHR 3 per week from 24 Sep
MAN-ATL-MAN 3 per week from 22 Sep
MAN-JFK-MAN 3 per week from 23 Sep

Caribbean
LHR-BGI-LHR 7 per week
LHR-MBJ-LHR 3 per week
LHR-ANU-LHR 3 per week
MAN-BGI-MAN 3 per week

South Africa
LHR-JNB-LHR 3 per week

India
LHR-BOM-LHR 7 per week
LHR-DEL-LHR 7 per week

Pakistan
LHR-LHE-LHR 2 per week
LHR-ISB-LHR 3 per week

Hong Kong
HKG-LHR 1-5 Sep, 8 per week6-12 Sep, 12 per week 13-30 Sep, 14 per week

Nigeria
LHR-LOS-LHR 7 per week

Israel
LHR-TLV-LHR 7 per week

Our partner Delta Air Lines flying programme;
LHR-ATL-LlHR Daily
LHR-JFK-LHR 5 per week
#961814 by flyingfox
31 Aug 2021, 10:51
Update from VS Trade

VSbulletin - COVID-19 Jamaica Travel Update 31 Aug

Effective 28 August 2021, The FCDO updated the Jamaica travel advice. Although the country is still part of the Government Amber list, the FCDO is now advising against all but essential travel to the whole of Jamaica, based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks. For more information, please visit the FCDO Travel Advice pages
#961822 by 747G-VXLG
31 Aug 2021, 17:58
Virgin have now reached a milestone since the start of the pandemic. Since G-VRAY returned to service on Sunday, there are now 30 aircraft in service:
7 A35Ks
17 B789s
6 A333s

This is the first time since the start of the pandemic that there have been this many aircraft in service.
#961830 by flyingfox
01 Sep 2021, 00:23
747G-VXLG wrote:The Virgin Atlantic cargo page has posted September’s flight schedule:
https://www.virginatlanticcargo.com/con ... HEDULE.pdf

The flights to and from Manchester seem to be missing again.

I wonder if there will be an update to the cargo schedules later as last Thursday’s trade notification indicated some routes restarting from the 22nd.

#961831 by 747G-VXLG
01 Sep 2021, 00:37
flyingfox wrote:
747G-VXLG wrote:The Virgin Atlantic cargo page has posted September’s flight schedule:
https://www.virginatlanticcargo.com/con ... HEDULE.pdf

The flights to and from Manchester seem to be missing again.

I wonder if there will be an update to the cargo schedules later as last Thursday’s trade notification indicated some routes restarting from the 22nd.

There’s also the 3 per week MAN-BGI-MAN flights.
#961846 by flyingfox
02 Sep 2021, 10:31
Update from VS Trade;

CancellationsEffective until & including

USA
LHR-MCO 6 Oct
MAN-MCO 6 Oct
LHR-LAS 21 Sep
LHR-SFO 21 Sep
LHR-IAD 21 Sep
LHR-SEA 21 Sep
MAN-ATL 21 Sep
MAN-JFK 21 Sep

Caribbean
LHR-HAV 29 Oct

Pakistan
MAN-ISB 21 Sep

Bookings affected by these changes will be updated on Saturday 4 September 2021

We are also making some frequency updates for September on selected routes. We will continue to keep our website up to date with all the latest updates to schedule and travel restrictions.

During September we plan to maintain operations on the following routes, subject to late changes:

Our flying programme

USA
LHR-ATL-LHR 1-5 Sep, 4 per week6-30 Sep, 7 per week
LHR-BOS-LHR 1-5 Sep, 3 per week6-30 Sep, 4 per week
LHR-JFK-LHR 1-12 Sep, 14 per week13-30 Sep, 17 per week
LHR-LAX-LHR 1-12 Sep, 7 per week13-19 Sep, 10 per week20-30 Sep, 11 per week
LHR-MIA-LHR 3 per week

Caribbean
LHR-BGI-LHR 7 per week
LHR-MBJ-LHR 3 per week
LHR-ANU-LHR 3 per week
MAN-BGI-MAN 3 per week

South Africa
LHR-JNB-LHR 3 per week

India
LHR-BOM-LHR 7 per week
LHR-DEL-LHR 7 per week

Pakistan
LHR-LHE-LHR 2 per week
LHR-ISB-LHR 3 per week

Hong Kong
HKG-LHR 1-5 Sep, 8 per week6-12 Sep, 12 per week/13-30 Sep, 14 per week

Nigeria
LHR-LOS-LHR 7 per week

Israel
LHR-TLV-LHR 7 per week

LHR-ATL-LlHR Daily
LHR-JFK-LHR 6 per week

#961877 by G-VROY
02 Sep 2021, 20:50
Any thoughts on if Virgin might try Dubai again?

I know Emirates dominate and historically BA have 2/3 X daily, but as it's now on the amber list (I know this can change quickly!), is a very popular winter sun destination, would have strong support from V holidays and I believe always did well on cargo?

I used the route around 10 times over 4 years and it always seemed popular - I know this doesn't always equal profitability..

I am planning another couple of trips this winter, 1 x business and 1 x leisure. It would suit me! :D

Be interested to hear others thoughts..

Cheers.
#961879 by mattyp
02 Sep 2021, 21:38
I’d be very surprised if they tried Dubai again, there’s just too much competition on the route.

Pre Covid, EK were regularly filling around 12 A380’s per day between LHR/LGW and DXB, as well as BA. I believe that at the time VS ended the route, Royal Brunei were also flying there as a stop off to Brunei, and Qantas were also doing the same en route to Oz with at least 3 aircraft per day.

My OH was based in Dubai for work a few years ago and I flew out there regularly with EK, who were very well priced on the route. The margins will be so tight for any airlines attempting to compete.

I did however fly UC a couple of times with VS, and the experience was second to none. The staff who ran the little VS area at the back of the Marharba lounge in T1 were absolutely superb. I was sorry to see this route go.

I think there will be many other destinations on VS’s list before they try DXB again.
#961883 by VS075
03 Sep 2021, 09:26
I've said this before and I'll say it again. I cannot see VS returning to Dubai and I'm strongly of the belief they are better off serving other markets.

Emirates have that market well covered with (pre-COVID at least) multiple flights per day from various London airports, three A380's per day from MAN and serving other UK airports in the process, all catering to those who are just going to Dubai itself or connecting. BA also have their LHR-DXB flights too and have known people to get competitively priced holidays with BA Holidays to Dubai. Once that's factored in, I struggle to see how VS could have made much money on that route.

As for Qantas, they are in an alliance with Emirates, however they stopped routing London-Australia flights via Dubai a few of years ago and reverted to routing the A380's via Singapore and, of course, the non-stop Perth route. The 'Project Sunrise' plans are still on the table and are likely to be dusted down once Australia reopens and the global economy recovers. Qantas routing London flights via DXB route was more to serve that alliance than DXB itself being a goldmine.
#961892 by Kraken
04 Sep 2021, 09:35
LREDI wrote:HK must be going great for Cargo, I know VS have signed a new 5 year deal for cargo handling there so I would assume HK is safe as a route for a good few years yet.

Hong Kong is a huge airport for cargo ops - the 2nd busiest in the world. It used to be No1 until Memphis [just] stole the crown from HKG due to the FedEx mega-hub that is based there.

I too cannot see VS dabbling with the Dubai route again. There is just too much competition & Emirates absolutely dominate the route in normal times with their multiple daily departures from all 3 London airports, plus the regions being served well. My parents live in the East Midlands and visit Dubai at least once a year [in normal times]. Over the years they have only flown VS once as there was a killer Upper Class fare on offer that was too good to miss. Every other time it has been EK from BHX or MAN - both of which are within the range of the EK chauffeur service from where they live. If VS had to offer killer Upper Class fares, this does not bode well for profitability of the DXB route.
#961893 by TimCrawley
04 Sep 2021, 11:01
Where do we see VA heading in the next 18 months. New routes / heading back to the East/ Australia??

A very interesting question. I would assume that the VS (Atlantic) and VH (Holidays) elements of synergy would continue on leisure routes and mixed business/leisure routes (as effectively the hotel arrangements / discounts they get are shared between VS flight plus hotel and VH package holidays?) so the first routes the management would look at would be those they have good data on such as previously operated routes and VH destinations currently offered on other airlines metal. After that they might get some data from alliance partners and/or loiter around the departure lounges of some competitors to see if any load factor information could guide them on potential new routes. Then after that there might be some blue sky thinking on totally new destinations (for example doing new multi-drop Carib or African/Asian routes tacking a new destination on to existing routes as a lower risk start-up).

While LHR and LGW aren't the only slot-limited airports used by VS I would expect availability and the timing of slots there either from their existing allocation or that they could slot-swap or any that come available also affects options on routes they could consider even if the destination is not slot-limited (as some destinations that are not slot limited are nevertheless on limited opening hours such that your take off slot might result in a target for landing slot that is simply impractical (too close to closing time or just plain wrong time of day/night for either leisure or business travelers to want to arrive and, after a 2-3 hour turnaround, depart)).

I'm sure there are plenty of others on the forum with better perspectives on past routes but my thought would be a low risk expansion into other Carib destinations for leisure and, perhaps more risky, exploring Canada for a business/leisure combo (Montreal or Toronto?) but others will surely highlight some potential in Asia?

Interesting times......hard to take potentially expensive risks on new routes after such heavy financial costs during the crisis but unless planning aircraft lease early retirements or a fire sale of slots they will have aircraft and slots to do something with while 'going back to routes exactly as pre-crisis' is also not without risk.
#961925 by VS075
06 Sep 2021, 12:28
Personally, I think in the short-to-medium term VS will focus on new destinations that are open and likely to be popular. We're seeing this already with the recent announcements of reviving/launching new routes to various Caribbean destinations. Pakistan was also a popular addition before the UK red listed the country, also helped by PK being banned from flying their own aircraft into European airspace.

I would be surprised if VS return to Canada. Toronto was culled 20 years ago after 9/11 and Vancouver was pulled after a few years when their strategy at the time became more US-centric. There's also a lot of competition on the Canadian routes with BA, Air Canada and Air Transat, as well as WestJet entering the market in recent years, plus options to connect via Ireland/Europe/USA. I just feel if there was money to be made by VS to various Canadian destinations, they would still be there now. Times change of course.

Finally, part of me thinks the further east you look on a map it's less likely VS will launch. Certain eastern countries have the strictest border rules in the world at the moment and will probably be the last to open up. Regardless, I can't see Australia ever returning as it's a competitive market and not a good use of aircraft to be away from home for up to three days, plus there are quicker routing options than via HKG as before.
#961942 by flyingfox
09 Sep 2021, 09:56
Update from VS Trade;

Cancellations

USA
LHR-MCO 13 Oct
MAN-MCO 13 Oct
LHR-LAS 28 Sep
LHR-SFO 28 Sep
LHR-IAD 28 Sep
LHR-SEA 28 Sep
MAN-ATL 28 Sep
MAN-JFK 28 Sep

Pakistan
MAN-ISB 28 Sep

Bookings affected by these changes will be updated ion Saturday 11 September 2021

Our flying programme
USA
LHR-ATL-LHR 7 per week
LHR-BOS-LHR 4 per week
LHR-JFK-LHR 6-12 Sep, 10 per week/13-19 Sep, 13 per week/20-30 Sep, 17 per week
LHR-LAX-LHR 1-12 Sep, 7 per week/13-19 Sep, 10 per week/20-30 Sep, 11 per week
LHR-MIA-LHR 3 per week

Caribbean
LHR-BGI-LHR 7 per week
LHR-MBJ-LHR 3 per week
LHR-ANU-LHR 3 per week
MAN-BGI-MAN 3 per week

South Africa
LHR-JNB-LHR 3 per week

India
LHR-BOM-LHR 7 per week
LHR-DEL-LHR 7 per week

Pakistan
LHR-LHE-LHR 2 per week
LHR-ISB-LHR 3 per week

Hong Kong
LHR-HKG 2 per week/HKG-LHR 6-12 Sep, 12 per week/13-30 Sep 14 per week

Nigeria
LHR-LOS-LHR 7 per week

Israel
LHR-TLV-LHR 7 per week

LHR-ATL-LHR Daily
LHR-JFK-LHR Daily

According to the VS website it looks like the JNB Clubhouse has or is due to reopen link here
Virgin Atlantic