This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#954633 by samfarmer
03 Mar 2020, 19:53
What are we thinking with this development over the last few weeks. Upcoming travel to NYC first week in April ...
#954635 by tontybear
03 Mar 2020, 20:46
I'm in NYC in a fortnight.

I won't be taking any specific precautions over and above what I normally do such as I usually carry a (very) small bottle* of alco gel (covers some viruses but not corona) and wet wipes in my day bag for when I can't actually wash my hands during the day.

It came from a DL amenity kit that I just top up from a larger bottle in my wash bag
#954636 by FLYERZ
03 Mar 2020, 21:12
Impossible to predict but I would say travel won't be restricted unless major outbreaks occur in concentrated areas as we've seen in South Korea, Iran and Northern Italy. I think the number of cases will increase as we've seen so far from people exposed e.g. via networks that have been to Wuhan .etc until the vaccine/antidote is developed and the spread can slow. News today that the jump in cases is slowing in China is also positive in the absense of a vaccine.

Not a doctor though so who knows.
#954639 by gumshoe
03 Mar 2020, 23:34
The biggest immediate issue for full service airlines is demand for business travel falling off a cliff as more and more companies ban or restrict it. Clearly leisure travel will also be affected, but as that tends to be booked much further in advance it’s easier for airlines to plan around.

From later this month BA is cancelling one of its daily JFK flights and judging by the government briefing this morning, it sounds like the peak in the UK may yet be several months away. So I would expect things to get worse before they get better, which could mean more flight cancellations - particularly if things get worse in the US as predicted.
#954662 by gumshoe
04 Mar 2020, 12:40
They’re presumably doing it to encourage people debating whether or not to travel to go ahead and book, implying that future sales are significantly down.

If you’ve already booked, they’ve got your money and expect you to fly as normal. If you don’t want to, that’s your problem.
#954663 by FLYERZ
04 Mar 2020, 14:04
Basically what it comes down to. I see that BA are doing similar. For passengers though it just means if you booked a few months back e.g. a trip a have coming up to Singapore you are left in limbo where the flights haven't been cancelled but given the choice you would rather avoid the risk of catching it on the plane/abroad/facing travel restrictions whilst you are out there.
#954664 by DragonLady
04 Mar 2020, 14:26
I’m off to Bali next week , and then ten days later on to Singapore . I’ve had my original DPS- SIN flight cancelled (which was a pain as the flight they transferred me onto also downgraded me ).I’m taking the usual wipes and sanitizer that would normally be in my hand luggage but that’s about it.
Obviously if the foreign office tell me not to go I won’t.
DL
#954665 by VS075
04 Mar 2020, 15:35
https://twitter.com/silvesterldn/status ... 2531785732

Looks like VS are feeling it already or anticipating a downturn. Pay cuts at the top, pay freezes for everyone else, recruitment freeze and the new Sao Paulo route launch postponed.
Last edited by VS075 on 04 Mar 2020, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.
#954670 by FLYERZ
04 Mar 2020, 15:48
This is arguably the worst news for the travel industry as a whole. Worse than a recession or a terror attack. Unlike those its not limited to a region and the fallout of this is very much unknown. How do you stir up demand when people are concerned about their health and also how this will progress. The change fee waiver is helpful but I imagine particularly trip to China, Asia more generally and Italy would still be significantly impacted.

I mentioned my trip to Singapore/Combodia in April and whilst I'm not that concerned about catching Coronavirus there for me the main issues are i) my embloyer is requiring people to self-quarantine on return from both of those countries; ii) more concerned with catching on the flight due to the recycled air; and iii) should it get worse whilst I'm away ,the UK could tighten travel restrictions and it could then be painful getting back.
#954672 by LREDI
04 Mar 2020, 17:18
I returned from BOS on Monday on the late running 158 and heard some horror stories over loads over recent days. Clear that business demand has slowed considerably and VS are feeling this. I also heard around the request for crew to take unpaid leave before the announcement today.

I can see the VS announcements today being just the start, I'd expect some slot movements as they cancel certain frequencies during the week to adjust to demand. That said, with the backing of DL they are 100% in a stronger position than in previous downturns and the JV with AF KLM has come just in time. There are some real bargains to be had right now across the network if you are happy travelling.

As for Flybe, I think this may be the end...
#954674 by mitchja
04 Mar 2020, 18:51
On my 2 x LA flights last week and this, there was only ~150 pax in total both ways. J had half a dozen empty seats both ways as well.

That's nearly enough to consolidate the 2 x LA flights if those loads are anything to go by.
#954676 by mattyp
04 Mar 2020, 18:58
gumshoe wrote:Update - VS has just announced it’s waiving change fees for new bookings this month.

VS are getting a lot of abuse today on Twitter for this policy.

Whilst they’re doing this to increase flight bookings and revenue now, I feel it is unfair that people who booked prior to any knowledge of Covid-19 are facing change and cancellation costs, whereas customers who book now knowing the risks are covered.
#954679 by FLYERZ
04 Mar 2020, 20:26
I actually spoke to someone at customer services today on this and questioned how fair this was, as you mentioned people would have booked months ago before Coronavirus was even a thing. The response I got was one of, I completely see where you are coming from but this is the policy that has been updated today.

The business side will be quite stark. Companies won't want to risk their employees entering areas where they are at risk. I imagine most businesses will ban all but essential travel and completely ban travel to high risk ares.
#954687 by LREDI
04 Mar 2020, 22:10
FLYERZ wrote:The business side will be quite stark. Companies won't want to risk their employees entering areas where they are at risk. I imagine most businesses will ban all but essential travel and completely ban travel to high risk ares.

It's this that'll be a killer for a number of airlines.
#954711 by catsilversword
05 Mar 2020, 09:58
I see California and Florida have declared states of emergency over the virus. We’re due to go to Fla in around 6 weeks, I just wonder what the FO advice will be by then. Although most people weren’t unduly concerned just a couple of weeks ago [I know I wasn’t!), now it’s very difficult to see what’ll happen in the next few weeks. Part of me wonders how much the media is actually helping, it’s easy to create an atmosphere of fear and panic. I realise that insurance won’t pay out, unless or until the foreign office advises against travel.

Tricky times, huh?
#954714 by allenby
05 Mar 2020, 10:45
Applies to VS and VS* tickets issued 04 March 2020 – 31 March 2020
Future Travel Rebooking Options:

1. When rebooked travel occurs on or before 30 September 2020 the change fee will be waived if ticket is reissued on or before 30 September 2020, though fare difference may apply.

a. A fare difference may apply when the original booking class is not available in the rebooked itinerary.

b. A fare difference may apply to new travel dates where the original fare rules do not permit new travel itinerary, PNR must be re-priced accordingly.

2. No refunds are permitted as part of this policy.

mattyp wrote:
gumshoe wrote:Update - VS has just announced it’s waiving change fees for new bookings this month.

VS are getting a lot of abuse today on Twitter for this policy.

Whilst they’re doing this to increase flight bookings and revenue now, I feel it is unfair that people who booked prior to any knowledge of Covid-19 are facing change and cancellation costs, whereas customers who book now knowing the risks are covered.
#954743 by roadrunner
06 Mar 2020, 15:07
Any indications that VS might cull flights?That's already happening over here (states) on domestic, creating packed flights (more humans per square inch seems a poor idea right now) and an increase in 'bump' premiums at airport but a lot less chance of getting on the next flight.

There certainluy does seem to have been quite a bit of pushback on the March change fee waiver decision for new bookings, do those in the know think that is just Step One?

Tx,

RR
#954745 by Shifty
06 Mar 2020, 17:13
I have been on the phone with virgin today whilst trying to jump on a Delta reward flight back from Vegas-JFK-LHR on 30th August. They couldn’t book the flights due to the majority of internal Delta flights being cancelled (despite them still being available in the delta website)
I was urged not to make any changes to my current booking VS86 LAS-MAN due to uncertainties about the whole flight timetables. They also said they are re jigging the schedules for the next 3months at this stage and will be “no guarantees” about timetables beyond this 3 month period at this stage. I get the impression anyone with flights in the near future are potentially in for a rough ride.
#954771 by FLYERZ
07 Mar 2020, 16:06
What I've found interesting is QF who we have our flights to Singapore on in c.5 weeks are not offering a change fee waiver other than to passengers who have been to China within 14 days, yet quite clearly on their website they have actually highlighted a number of recent flights (including details of the effected row) where passengers travelling have subsequently been diagnosed with having Coronavirus.

WIth evidence that they have had 'Coronavirus carriers' onboard I think its frankly shocking they aren't supporting customers wanting to change their flights to later in the year!
Virgin Atlantic