This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#957093 by VS075
09 Sep 2020, 17:13
sunny23uk wrote:G-VROS is due to depart Manchester tomorrow around 12pm. She'll be stopping by the Runway Viewing Park before leaving for a photo op.

Apparently heading to Heathrow for some maintenance.

Left MAN yesterday for LHR as planned. Presume it's end of lease checks being carried out at LHR before it moves on to Atlas Air.

That just leaves G-VXLG left at MAN. Not sure when that's due to leave.

mitchja wrote:I wonder why they picked MNK first though as LNM is a couple of years older at almost 21 years now (the oldest A/C in the VS fleet by quite some margin now not counting the other A332’s).

It could be due a check (often a factor for airlines when deciding what aircraft to get rid of first) or has more hours/cycles accrued on the airframe.

Looking on the CAA G-INFO website, G-VMNK has accrued around 89k hours as of mid-Feb 2020, whereas G-VLNM has accrued around 80k as of late-May 2020. G-VMIK has about 88k and G-VWND has 86k. If it is down to hours on the aircraft and/or a check, that could be why it was chosen to leave.
#957101 by Lucydog
10 Sep 2020, 09:03
I expect this 350 will then go to Heathrow. Its time after all the 747 are going that we should now have at least one 350 and 330 up in Manchester to charm the traffic back as soon as USA etc allows travel. I will not pay to go upper class on the 330 as it does not appeal to my 5 adults tried it and did not like it, not keen on the layout, but the 350 upper would get snapped up by us. We have used premium until now. 747 upper seemed more roomy. If Gatwick has been put to the side for a while, it makes sense to push Manchester and get needed customers. We all have a preference when traveling, we work long hours NHS etc in one way or the other so make the most of our journeys. Hope things get better soon. Happy traveling flyers. :)
#957147 by VS075
13 Sep 2020, 17:58
Lucydog wrote:I expect this 350 will then go to Heathrow. Its time after all the 747 are going that we should now have at least one 350 and 330 up in Manchester to charm the traffic back as soon as USA etc allows travel. I will not pay to go upper class on the 330 as it does not appeal to my 5 adults tried it and did not like it, not keen on the layout, but the 350 upper would get snapped up by us. We have used premium until now. 747 upper seemed more roomy. If Gatwick has been put to the side for a while, it makes sense to push Manchester and get needed customers. We all have a preference when traveling, we work long hours NHS etc in one way or the other so make the most of our journeys. Hope things get better soon. Happy traveling flyers. :)

A330’s and 787’s are probably the best us MAN flyers can hope for in the short-term until demand returns to a point where something larger can be justified.

Just bear in mind the A330-300’s now have the same Upper seats as the 787’s and the 747’s before them after the original Dream Suite seats were ditched a few years ago. It’s just the 3 remaining -200’s that have a different Upper seat and layout to everything else and they’re not dedicated MAN aircraft.

To be honest, I’m just glad MAN remains an important part of the VS strategy moving forward. I’m old enough to remember when in the aftermath of 9/11 the operations for the sole MAN-MCO route at the time was hived off to Air Atlanta with a wet lease arrangement using two of the 747-200’s VS had sold them when they decided to withdraw the -200 fleet. Compared to the young/brand new 747-400’s being used on the LGW-MCO flights at the time, it had the feeling of being a second class operation using old aircraft and the old Upper Class being rebranded as ‘Club Orlando’. It wasn’t until May 2005 when that arrangement was ditched and MAN-MCO started being operated by VS aircraft once again with the same -400’s from LGW. It’s safe to say VS at MAN has come a long way since then and I did genuinely fear COVID would undo this progress.
#957150 by mitchja
13 Sep 2020, 21:12
Here’s the info about the proposed MAN>MCO B789 service, from routesonline:

Virgin Atlantic in recent schedule update delayed planned Manchester – Orlando service. Initially scheduled to resume on 24AUG20, the airline will be resuming this route on 06OCT20. For the remainder of summer 2020 season, the airline will operate Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft, 4 times weekly.

VS075 MAN1000 – 1400MCO 789 x135
VS076 MCO1815 – 0720+1MAN 789 x135

I would guess the MAN crews will need to do some B747>B789 conversion training?

Other MAN flights are still showing both the A333 and the A332 for now as well.

As already mentioned the UC seat on the B789’s is identical to the A330-300 UC seat. It’s just the bar area is configured slightly differently with a smaller bar on the A330-300’s.

It will be nice to see a VS B789 at MAN though :D
#957152 by muppster
14 Sep 2020, 16:45
I do wonder whether anyone will see the A333's any time soon, they're all parked up in longer term storage. I daresay VS could run their proposed flight schedule without them, at least well into next year.

As for the 332's.....one down...they're even less likely to return.
#957159 by silverwings
15 Sep 2020, 07:29
Interesting they have accepted the A350 delivery. A lot of other customers have been delaying delivery of aircraft due in JUL/AUG/SEP for several years.
#957163 by VS075
15 Sep 2020, 12:42
muppster wrote:I do wonder whether anyone will see the A333's any time soon, they're all parked up in longer term storage. I daresay VS could run their proposed flight schedule without them, at least well into next year.

As for the 332's.....one down...they're even less likely to return.

Routes Online are indicating they will be in use before the end of the year, but of course the current situation is quite fluid (note MAN gets BGI flights 5 times per week from January, which is interesting as I imagine there aren't going to be many cruises this winter, but then the Thomas Cook-sized hole is still there demand or otherwise)...

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... additions/

silverwings wrote:Interesting they have accepted the A350 delivery. A lot of other customers have been delaying delivery of aircraft due in JUL/AUG/SEP for several years.

I'm not sure how true this is, but one or two these were allegedly built some time ago. I don't know whether VS delayed delivery or if Airbus took longer than usual to complete the build of these particular planes.

Either way, I imagine these were too far along the production line to be able to defer. If anything, I expect the ones that were originally scheduled to be delivered during 2021 to be delayed.
#957165 by Dobbo
15 Sep 2020, 13:10
It is interesting that the B789 fleet seems to be front and centre as things stand - I suppose whilst the A333 capacity is not required it is cheaper to focus on one fleet type and the B789 offers the greatest flexibility, presumably at lower fuel cost, and I suppose it’s high finance (lease?) cost would be incurred anyway?

Fingers crossed things are near enough back to normal by the spring - if we can get back or close to 2019 demand the future of VS (especially at MAN) looks pretty bright to me.
#957170 by muppster
15 Sep 2020, 18:02
silverwings wrote:Interesting they have accepted the A350 delivery. A lot of other customers have been delaying delivery of aircraft due in JUL/AUG/SEP for several years.

As #VS075 has said above, some of these are old frames and others well into the build status, too late to be deferred?

VDOT, the most recent arrival, is actually over 3.5 years old and has been used as a test/prototype frame by Airbus, so i'm sure they will have got a good deal on this one. VRNB and VTEA, the next arrivals are already completed, tested, liveried etc.
So that will make 7 and there are news articles out there saying they have deferred 4 deliveries from the firm order of 12.....that leaves another one in production which also seems to be too late to hold....unless Virgin got another good deal on F-WMIL, the one remaining 351 prototype.
#957171 by RLF
15 Sep 2020, 18:48
Indeed, the 789's and 350's are doing every route at present, although 3 789's WHO, CRU and BOW havent seen service for several months, I guess they are parked up still.
#957179 by sunny23uk
16 Sep 2020, 21:23
I believe G-VROM is expected to leave LHR on Monday heading for the USA.

Not sure what time yet, but will update if I see any more details.

Big Jet TV look to be planning on covering it on YouTube & Facebook
#957211 by uktigger
19 Sep 2020, 21:01
As for the 332's.....one down...they're even less likely to return

I'm booked on VS75 in April and return in May and it's scheduled to be a A332 .
#957258 by mitchja
23 Sep 2020, 11:39
G-VRNB (Purple Rain), A350-1041 #6 currently on her TLS>MAN delivery flight. Due to land ~12:43.

No sign of G-VDOT operating any VS flights yet.
#957391 by muppster
02 Oct 2020, 17:23
As far as I can see, VROM did not make the flight and is still at LHR? Anyone confirm anything different?

Still no flights for VDOT, nor anything yet for VRNB

VSXY has departed Manchester storage bound for Dresden according to the VS Source. EFW at Dresden have been carrying out recent conversions of A330 from pax to freight for DHL. DHL have "up to another 12" on order......is this the end for Beauty Queen?
#957427 by mattyp
04 Oct 2020, 21:40
Well ROM finally made it to Vegas yesterday and has just flown on to MZJ out in the desert - her final resting place.

It may be the aviation geek in me, but it’s so sad seeing all these 747’s (both VS and indeed BA) heading to the scrap heap. I’ve been fortunate enough to fly on every VS 747 with the exception of ROM and XLG and have some fabulous memories of journeys to the Caribbean. They were and still are superb aircraft - an absolute icon of the skies.

RIP Barbarella
#957433 by mattyp
05 Oct 2020, 05:19
mitchja wrote:I thought VROM was going to Atlas Air along with a couple other ex-VS 744’s?

Indeed you’re right James - I missed that!

Glad that she’ll live on! :-D
#957458 by 747 G-VROS
06 Oct 2020, 16:20
Yes, G-VROM, G-VROY (scheduled to return from Spain tomorrow) and G-VROS are transferring to Atlas Air PAX. Transporting troops and possibly sports teams!

G-VROS.....
#957526 by RLF
10 Oct 2020, 18:02
Hi

So to confirm, movements awaited for the VS 747's are

ROY - Spain to LHR to LAS
ROS - LHR - LAS
XLG - Man - ?????

A few more then in VS Colours, is that correct?

GAL, XLG, AST and LIP being broken up???
#957527 by mitchja
10 Oct 2020, 18:19
VAST has been broken up but VGAL, VXLG and VLIP are all currently parked at either MAN or in Spain.

VAST and VXLG were/are owned by VS, the other VS 744's were leased so it's down to the leasing company what happens to those.

I doubt VXLG will fly again (apart from when she heads to the breakers).

VGAL, VLIP, VROS, VROM, VROY are all showing as having pending CAA registration changes so they will no longer be registered to VS.
#957546 by VS075
12 Oct 2020, 09:15
mitchja wrote:VAST has been broken up but VGAL, VXLG and VLIP are all currently parked at either MAN or in Spain.

It's just G-VXLG remaining at MAN. The other 2 moved to Ciudad Real back in June.

If G-VXLG eventually ends up at a place such as St Athan (where VAST and VBIG ended up) or Kemble (where BA have sent a lot of their 747's), it's likely to be for scrap.
Virgin Atlantic