This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#955772 by Q_Division
07 May 2020, 11:52
Hi all,

This is probably a simple one but can you upgrade your fare bucket? I'm looking at reward upgrades but don't think my current fare bucket is upgradable with miles so I'm thinking you upgrade to a suitable code first then upgrade class?

Thanks
#955773 by CommanderB
07 May 2020, 11:56
If you're un a no-upgradable fare bucket (like K in Premium) then no. You can't upgrade using miles or cash.

The only saving grace you have is if you have booked direct, you can bid for an upgrade. And you can pay cash on the day at the airport to upgrade, subject to availability.
#955774 by nkp85uk
07 May 2020, 12:16
What class of travel is your current booking in?
I'm pretty sure all retail fares with the exception of Economy Light are now upgradable.
#955778 by CommanderB
07 May 2020, 15:55
H is upgradable, K is not.

Covid has one some pretty crazy things, so if nkp85uk knows something I don't i'd happily stand corrected :-)
#955782 by uktigger
07 May 2020, 18:28
I booked with VH in PE - obviously K class.
I upgraded them to H class through VH, and then used miles to go to upper.
Then the flights got bloody cancelled!
Sods Law :-)
#955786 by Murraymint
07 May 2020, 21:16
uktigger wrote:I booked with VH in PE - obviously K class.
I upgraded them to H class through VH, and then used miles to go to upper.
Then the flights got bloody cancelled!
Sods Law :-)

That’s just typical ain’t it. >-(
I’ve got PE tickets booked through VH for next year and I thought I read that they were all upgradable- obviously not!
If you don’t mind me asking, how much did it cost to upgrade them from K to H. I was hoping to use Miles to upgrade mine to Upper later.
#955791 by uktigger
08 May 2020, 09:44
It varied as we didn't all do the upgrade at the same time.
There were 4 of us, 2 x £100, 1 x £150 and 1 x £300.(This was for both legs of the return ticket.)
Depends on the live fares at the time of upgrading.
This was via VH - after this had to get onto flying club to do the miles upgrades.
#955793 by uktigger
08 May 2020, 10:22
We've moved our holiday to april next year after getting a full refund for the one we were supposed to be on now, but i'm not looking forward to getting in touch with VH to go through this palarva again knowing how much fun it is trying to speak to someone!
#955795 by Razorback
08 May 2020, 12:59
I have received an alert from Expertflyer telling me that there is now G availability for my flight in November. I currently booked H class.
I cannot see a way to upgrade via the website, do I need to contact VS direct to initiate the (miles) upgrade please?
#955796 by mitchja
08 May 2020, 13:27
Razorback wrote:I have received an alert from Expertflyer telling me that there is now G availability for my flight in November. I currently booked H class.
I cannot see a way to upgrade via the website, do I need to contact VS direct to initiate the (miles) upgrade please?

Yes, you will need to contact Flying Club to do this, though that is not going to be easy right now unfortunately.
#955797 by Razorback
08 May 2020, 15:01
Thanks James. Given the aircraft is still showing as 744, I will probably wait until the aircraft change and inevitable timetable change (again) have happened.
#955823 by Q_Division
11 May 2020, 09:29
For everyone's info I managed to upgrade the H fare with miles and could upgrade the K one either via cash or via cash and miles (i.e. change fare class and the upgrade with miles). As it was cheaper to do a straight cash option I've done that.
#955824 by Q_Division
11 May 2020, 09:31
Razorback - FYI I did it via WhatsApp, took a couple of days to get the initial reply but was all done quite quickly once you get a response.
#956267 by Razorback
04 Jun 2020, 21:27
Thanks Q_Division.
After an unsuccessful attempt to converse via text message I followed your advice and used WhatsApp.
I sent my initial message on 16/05 and after a few message exchanges (with anything from 2 to 5 day gaps between messages) and a long pause due to the Flying Club being down I have finally managed to complete the required upgrades this evening.
Now just need to wait and see if the flights operate as scheduled come November :D
Virgin Atlantic