This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#955890 by NYC123
14 May 2020, 14:52
We're booked on rewards flights LGW-MCO-LGW in August, these flights also included using the credit card voucher to upgrade two inbound flights to premium.

We'll be looking to cancel these as the plan was to visit theme parks with our son but that's not going to happen, what I'm wondering is if we cancel will we be charged a fee given the flights will now be departing from a different airport or will we be able to cancel without charge?

Ideally, I'd rather have them transfer the flights to August 2021 but given they are reward seats I cannot see this being an option, however, if they did and then virgin later went under would the fact I'd rearranged the flights affect the refunding of taxes?
#955894 by FLYERZ
14 May 2020, 18:00
I'm not sure I understand your point linking cancelling flights and paying a fee for the flight being via LHR instead of LGW. In any case by cancelling I assume you mean opting for a credit voucher.

My understanding is that regardless of whether you booked with cash or miles you would be able to recieve a voucher for redemption at a later date. I can't remember whether this is specifically outlined on the VS website but it has been suggested on this forum. I believe the voucher would incorporate the value (cash plus vouchers) but worth contacting VS to have this confirmed. I would recommend Whatsapp rather than hanging on the line for ages. Particularly if you have available dates in mind you may be able to check if there would be any additional fare change costs to pay and you could effectively change the date rather than sitting with open ended vouchers.

Alternatively you could hold off and wait for the flights to be cancelled by VS (no guarantees that it will) at which point you would be eligible for a refund of the cash/miles too I believe.

If you have tickets with VS and they go bust you would be due a refund whether using a voucher on amended dates or otherwise.
#955896 by travelmad51
14 May 2020, 19:06
We had two upper class reward flight booked to MIA in April, VS cancelled them. I used the Whats App service to re- book in December, this time to LAX, even though there was no upper class reward availability they re- booked our flights using miles, paid the taxes etc, still waiting for the original tax refund, but they did say 90 days. Ive got to say i was impressed with the text service, very efficient and all sorted within a couple of days. I do hope Virgin survive this, they really are a great airline.

If we do fly i,m really looking forward to the new A350, unless they change the metal, either way I'll be glad to fly again.

Cath
#955898 by mitchja
14 May 2020, 19:20
As VS have now extended the ticket change waiver until the end of September, your flights in August will be covered by that allowing you to change the date and / or route up to the end of September 2022.

See this page for more details.
Virgin Atlantic