This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#955907 by Seany93
15 May 2020, 11:09
I have a flight booked with VS from Manchester to Orlando, going out on the 2nd July and returning on the 10th. I was due to fly out there to meet my partner and her family who were supposed to fly out one week earlier. Their outbound was with BA from Gatwick and has been cancelled. Infact their whole holiday has been cancelled and refunded.

Therefore, I now find myself stuck with quite an expensive flight out to Orlando. It was booked at the very start of the year, so with the current VS policy It looks like I cannot actually do anything with it in terms of refunds or moving it.

I feel like my only option is to wait and hope that VS cancel this flight or extend their current policy for flights in July and then I can maybe make it an open ticket etc.

Are there any other options that people are aware of?

Thanks in advance!
#955909 by mitchja
15 May 2020, 11:20
Anything booked on or before March 19th this year for flights up to the end of September 2020 can now be rebooked up to the end of September 2022 with no change fee. That is for both flights booked direct with VS and for flights booked through travel agents.

The only cravat is any difference in fare will need to be paid if the rebooked flight is taken after November 30th this year. If the fare is lower, you won't get the difference back either.

It sounds like your flight should be covered by this policy?

Full details here
#955910 by Seany93
15 May 2020, 11:34
Thank you both!

I'm not quite sure how I missed that one. I had it in my head that it only covered flights up to 30th June (if the booking date was before 19th March)

Well that's a bit of a relief!!
#955911 by mitchja
15 May 2020, 11:40
Glad to hear it :)

It's only this week that VS extended the date from June to September.
#955912 by CommanderB
15 May 2020, 12:01
Communication has been kind of quiet as well. VS trade has been doing updates, but for passengers booking directly you kind of have to keep an eye on that page and re-read the info to spot the small changes being made.
#955913 by Bluebear
15 May 2020, 13:22
Hi
Does anyone know if an open ticket applies to mileage bookings too? I have flights for July 2020 and want to move to july 2021 but the seats wont be released until Aug/Sept.
If mileage flights are cancelled by Virgin I know they are looking to open up reward seats on any flight that has already been released for sale - does anyone know if this will be the case for flights still to be released ie july 2021?
Thanks
Virgin Atlantic