This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#955930 by Shifty
16 May 2020, 15:35
Hi,
Anyone else booked on a MAN - LAS route this summer that have noticed something odd about their booking?
I hear the route may have been cancelled and pax being sent from LHR instead.
We are due to fly UC on 25th Aug. I have noticed our seat assignments have disappeared, there is no seat map available and when I do a dummy booking, the flight doesn’t show up at all.
#955933 by VS075
16 May 2020, 18:31
VS have cut the MAN-LAS route. Whenever a flight is cancelled, VS have an obligation to rebook you onto another flight which doesn’t necessarily have to be another direct flight. You do have the option to ask for a refund, or you could phone them to see if they will route you another way if you don’t want to go via LHR.
#955936 by Shifty
16 May 2020, 19:34
Confirmed. They have changed us to LHR - LAS however on the return leg, they have allocated us seats in Economy Delight. Obviously i’m not too impressed by this as we have paid for Upper.
Do you think they will give me an alternative route back if I call them up? I have found an alternative return via LAX on the Virgin Website.
#955938 by CommanderB
16 May 2020, 20:54
Shifty wrote:Confirmed. They have changed us to LHR - LAS however on the return leg, they have allocated us seats in Economy Delight. Obviously i’m not too impressed by this as we have paid for Upper.
Do you think they will give me an alternative route back if I call them up? I have found an alternative return via LAX on the Virgin Website.

Thats certainly a reasonable request. I'd say SEA/LAX/SFO/JFK/ATL would all be reasonable routing options. Or you can ask for ask for a full refund. Given the current situation and the fact you're in Upper, I can se them wanting to re-route you.
#955940 by Dobbo
16 May 2020, 22:52
CommanderB wrote:Thats certainly a reasonable request. I'd say SEA/LAX/SFO/JFK/ATL would all be reasonable routing options. Or you can ask for ask for a full refund. Given the current situation and the fact you're in Upper, I can se them wanting to re-route you.

Suspect the transit options are LAX, JFK or ATL if the objective is one stop back to MAN.
#955942 by flyingfox
16 May 2020, 23:43
DL also announced a new route MAN - BOS which was supposed to start with a daily B757 from May 21st, although they have not yet updated the new schedule it might be that once things start to stabilise they will begin the service.
#955943 by CommanderB
17 May 2020, 00:38
Dobbo wrote:
CommanderB wrote:Thats certainly a reasonable request. I'd say SEA/LAX/SFO/JFK/ATL would all be reasonable routing options. Or you can ask for ask for a full refund. Given the current situation and the fact you're in Upper, I can se them wanting to re-route you.

Suspect the transit options are LAX, JFK or ATL if the objective is one stop back to MAN.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I was referring to LHR.
#955950 by Dobbo
17 May 2020, 11:06
CommanderB wrote:Yeah, you're absolutely right. I was referring to LHR.

Perhaps one day SFO (perhaps for the first time, SEA) will be transit points back to MAN again. I’m keeping my fingers crossed VS can get through this and return to the “return to growth” again!
#955952 by Shifty
17 May 2020, 11:30
All sorted now.
After 3hrs 10min on hold, finally got through just before they closed last night.
We are now flying KLM Business LAS-AMS-MAN.
We leave later too so it gives us more time in LAS than we would have had originally.
Hoping KLM Business is ok. Anyone flown with them?
#955953 by Tigerlilly
17 May 2020, 13:28
Shifty wrote:All sorted now.
After 3hrs 10min on hold, finally got through just before they closed last night.
We are now flying KLM Business LAS-AMS-MAN.
We leave later too so it gives us more time in LAS than we would have had originally.
Hoping KLM Business is ok. Anyone flown with them?

I’m waiting to find out the same but booked for next August so my airport hasn’t changed yet. I’d be ok with lhr and the 3.5hr drive. Klm business looks really nice. Some good YouTube videos on it x
#955960 by candy
17 May 2020, 19:25
They have amended our booking to lhr-las are they liable for the cost of getting us to LHR if originally booked from MAN?
#955962 by spacedog
17 May 2020, 23:42
We were also booked on MAN to LAS in July, really sad about the loss of the route. I just logged in and we've been moved to LHR which isn't ideal, but we would get there. Sadly I have a feeling we won't be travelling by then, although I hope I'm wrong.

We flew KLM business class in March (just before this all kicked off) to Mexico and it was good! We were on a 747. Loads of room in business, the seats are definitely designed with tall people in mind. The staff were nice and the free collectable bottles of gin shaped like houses are a really nice touch! The food was quite ordinary and probably the only negative.
#955966 by Tigerlilly
18 May 2020, 06:20
candy wrote:They have amended our booking to lhr-las are they liable for the cost of getting us to LHR if originally booked from MAN?

Not if they notified you more than 14 days from flight apparently. When do you go? Xx
#955967 by gumshoe
18 May 2020, 07:57
Tigerlilly wrote:
candy wrote:They have amended our booking to lhr-las are they liable for the cost of getting us to LHR if originally booked from MAN?

Not if they notified you more than 14 days from flight apparently. When do you go? Xx

Not so.

If a flight is cancelled you are entitled - if you wish - to be rerouted, regardless of when you were notified.

So VS is obliged by law to get someone booked from MAN to LAS from MAN to LAS. No ifs, no buts.

The 14 day rule only applies to compensation.
#955979 by Tigerlilly
18 May 2020, 18:56
candy wrote:the booking is for september i will try and contact them
thanks for the replies

How did you get on? Ive still not heard anything ( but not going til next summer). I’ve read the t&c’s and they say if they make a significant change to my package the have to offer an alternative at no extra cost to myself. I called them a few days ago and asked if I would be offered LHR? And if so, why can’t they move it across now? They said I have to wait for the offer to come through. It’s so frustrating . If they know they aren’t flying from Manchester, why not just move it now if I’m happy to accept?
#955981 by Tigerlilly
18 May 2020, 20:19
gumshoe wrote:
Tigerlilly wrote:

Not so.

If a flight is cancelled you are entitled - if you wish - to be rerouted, regardless of when you were notified.

So VS is obliged by law to get someone booked from MAN to LAS from MAN to LAS. No ifs, no buts.

The 14 day rule only applies to compensation.

If it relates to a package and an offer of airport change is given due to current booked route being cancelled, they can’t charge more can they? My same package from lhr is a lot more expensive on the same dates. X
#955982 by gumshoe
18 May 2020, 20:37
Package or not, it doesn’t matter. EC261/2004 obliges the airline to either refund you or reroute you at no extra cost if your flight is cancelled.
#955983 by Tigerlilly
18 May 2020, 22:01
gumshoe wrote:Package or not, it doesn’t matter. EC261/2004 obliges the airline to either refund you or reroute you at no extra cost if your flight is cancelled.

Thank you. It helps to put my mind at rest a little whilst I wait for them to contact me. The same package on the same dates from lhr are nearly £3k more expensive so I panicked xx
#955995 by NickyS74
19 May 2020, 21:08
Hi folks, yep same has now happened to my flights, changed from MAN to LHR. We'd already decided to rebook for next year but now have the added hassle of travelling from an airport that's a three and a half hour drive from me as opposed to 45mins to MAN. My mate lives in Birmingham so LHR is easy for her to get to but my journey will basically involve travelling down the night before and staying over in a hotel which I'm not happy about, in terms of time or added expense. I'll have to see what Virgin can offer me when we come to rebook, but I'm guessing it won't put a smile on my face :-(
#956000 by northerntrack
19 May 2020, 22:22
Evening all, we were due to fly out 28/09 return 12/10 Man>LAS and have just received the emails noting flights now from LHR.
This isn't going to work for us unfortunately, just for my own peace of mind now the original flights have been effectively 'cancelled' I am entitled to a full refund - correct?
The flights were booked in UC and used up 270K miles to do so, would we get these credited back ok - in the hope Virgin stays around long enough to use them in future the way things are going?
In the current climate I can't be sure when we may get chance to go again so can't really consider leaving the flight open to sept. 2022 so just wanted to be sure of my options if anyone could clarify for my own sanity?
I'm guessing a long wait on the telephone is now ahead....
Sad to see this route go, it's the best route for us and will be sorely missed.
#956004 by Tigerlilly
20 May 2020, 08:56
NickyS74 wrote:Hi folks, yep same has now happened to my flights, changed from MAN to LHR. We'd already decided to rebook for next year but now have the added hassle of travelling from an airport that's a three and a half hour drive from me as opposed to 45mins to MAN. My mate lives in Birmingham so LHR is easy for her to get to but my journey will basically involve travelling down the night before and staying over in a hotel which I'm not happy about, in terms of time or added expense. I'll have to see what Virgin can offer me when we come to rebook, but I'm guessing it won't put a smile on my face :-(

I’m still awaiting an email but mines not til summer 2021. I’m also a 3.5 hr drive from Heathrow but I’ll do it if offered as I got a good deal. I e priced up hotel and 8 days parking which comes to £103. It’s added expense but I’ll suck it up and have plenty of time to rearrange I suppose. Xx
#956006 by NickyS74
20 May 2020, 10:10
Hi Tigerlilly! If it was just the expense I would shop around and get a deal but I drive 600 miles plus a week for work so just can't face that kind of drive at the beginning and end of my holiday too :-( I'm going to ask Virgin if they'll route us from Manchester via somewhere like NY, maybe even see if we can go out a couple of days early and just pay for our own hotel in NY before heading on to Vegas. Not sure if they'll oblige but worth a try I reckon? xx
#956007 by mitchja
20 May 2020, 11:11
The drive home after a holiday is always the worst. I always use trains to get down from the North West to LHR these days.

Advance purchase train fares are usually cheaper than domestic flights as well.
#956009 by Dobbo
20 May 2020, 11:51
mitchja wrote:The drive home after a holiday is always the worst. I always use trains to get down from the North West to LHR these days.

Advance purchase train fares are usually cheaper than domestic flights as well.

I think it’s unfortunate that this has to be the case at all - and I’m fairly certain VS’s plan before this crisis (perhaps also after) were to provide a second UK touchpoint at MAN that is far more centrally located To the centre of gravity of the U.K. population.

Hopefully Vs can get through this and start to deliver on this in the years ahead as more A339s arrive in the fleet.
Virgin Atlantic